Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Opening a new studio in manchester

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
FotoAltrincham
25 Jan 2012 - 1:44 PM

Hi All

Im thinking opening a studio in manchester. Ideally with another photographer but i can also do it myself. I have read quiet alot of topic about the subject on this website and have seen very good feedback ( positive or negative ). Yes its sound mad opening a new studio at moment( current economic climate) however i still think that there are so many opportunities. One example is football posters for kids.( i ve got example on my website ) when i was a kid i had 3 posters on the wall in my bedroom. Ryan Giggs, Hakan Sukur, Tugay Kerimoglu( as im turkish) i used to think one day i will play for united and i will have my own poster. Im sure you have seen nike or adidas football ads. Im thinking of doing a commercialized poster for kids to put up on there wall, which i think they will love it and give them some inspiration. Of course its not just that. Make over and family portraits as well. Im not the best at what i do but i will try so hard to get what i want. I have found a massive office space (3,195 sq ft)in city centre opposite the arndale ( very high footfall) 30000 rent+ rate+ service charge+ insurance per annum.so what do you think?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Jan 2012 - 1:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53584 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2012 - 1:57 PM

Was there a comment a few weeks ago about a similiar Kids picture setup printing images for 10 inside a shopping centre.

So that's 3000 customers a year to pay for the rent, if you can work 300 days a year then you only need 10 customers a day to pay for that rent.
I guess you want a similiar Salary and will need a staff member (60K more or 20 more customers a day).
and i guess equipment over 3 years and rates will be another 10 customers.

So what's going to bring in 40+ customers (say 5 per hour) every day of every week for you to make a profit?
Is there 12,000 customers in your area each year - assuming no repeat customers?

Just my tupence worth based on the 10 kids photo prospect.

Last Modified By JackAllTog at 25 Jan 2012 - 1:58 PM
FotoAltrincham
25 Jan 2012 - 2:07 PM

High jack thanks for the feedback. 1. I wont be setting up mini studio in a shopping mall, the place that i have found is right opposite the very busy shopping centre in manchester. 2. I own every equipment that i will need so no equipt. cost. And no way i will charge 10 way more than that.

ikett
ikett  3340 forum posts England
25 Jan 2012 - 2:44 PM

Living and working in Greater Manchester photography is not a high priority for most people.

Unless you have an existing customer base that you can start with I would be cautious, from the figures you've quoted, business rates if memory serves is a percentage of the rent, plus a service charge plus all the liability insurance and so on + phones, electric, heating and so on I can easily see 50K pa, on top of that the Arndale is known as the cheap and cheerful shopping centre, it has a cruder tittle, so doesn't attract big spenders.

I'm not saying don't do it, but do a lot more research in terms of marketing and running costs, advertising and all the other boring but vital tasks in running a business.

Good luck

ikett
ikett  3340 forum posts England
25 Jan 2012 - 4:17 PM

Hi, again just looked at your website not much content in the gallery, but 350 for a wedding more than a liitle inexpensive, wondering if you have a business plan or just pluck numbers from thin air.

Extra good luck, me thinks you'll need it.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2012 - 4:43 PM

Quote: but 350 for a wedding more than a liitle inexpensive

At that price the punters will be piled higher than a football stadium, You should be very busy in these hard times.....!!!

You need more than a few dreams and cut price weddings, As stated above " Business & Marketing " is where its all at, Anyone can squirt a few images off....Smile

But you need to sell them.....Wink

Good luck whatever you get up to......Smile

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014786 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2012 - 4:49 PM

Go for it if you truly believe you can make it work....

Simple as that really

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93493 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
25 Jan 2012 - 7:00 PM

...If all it takes is optimism and determination...you're on a winner....be lucky.

779HOB
779HOB  21018 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Jan 2012 - 7:12 PM

Quote: 1. I wont be setting up mini studio in a shopping mall, the place that i have found is right opposite the very busy shopping centre in manchester. 2. I own every equipment that i will need so no equipt. cost. And no way i will charge 10 way more than that.

From what JackAllTog said you might not be setting up in a shopping centre and you might be charging much more than 10 - but, your competitor is in the shopping centre and is charging 10.

But I also agree with Ade. If you really think you can make it work then go for it. You definitely won't make it happen if you don't take that first step.

Bloggs
Bloggs  2313 forum posts England
25 Jan 2012 - 10:04 PM

From what i see here you either need to explain more about your plan or you are going into this ill prepared. No matter how much spirit you have business is business and the sums need to add up, you can pay bills without money. It's the simple facts of life, hard as they maybe. It sounds like a big venture to start of with if this is a first time business in this area. Why not start now form home and grow from there, if it takes of you go in bigtime but to risk all right from the start sounds reckless without more and better thought out plans.

DT01
DT01  569 forum posts
26 Jan 2012 - 2:50 PM

There seems to be an assumption here (and on other threads) that in order to survive, you must be able to compete with the Pixi-Foto's of the world and others of that ilk. I would say you need to match your offering to a specific market and, yes, if your target market is 10 a pop, pile 'em high, then volume is the only way to do it. Similarly, if you're in the 250 for everything on a CD market, you still need to do a lot of work to deliver on your promises. That said, while the news keeps telling us about the 3 million unemployed, they never mention the 27 million still in work! I had a conversation with a client this morning who is one of the 27 million and their portrait order will come to about 2.5k. Pixi-Foto will need 250 people through the door to match that and whether they do or don't get those numbers, I don't care because I'm not in their market.

As Ade says,
Quote: Go for it if you truly believe you can make it work....

Last Modified By DT01 at 26 Jan 2012 - 2:51 PM
mikehit
mikehit  56312 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2012 - 3:31 PM

Quote: Pixi-Foto will need 250 people through the door to match that and whether they do or don't get those numbers, I don't care because I'm not in their market.

It may well be double that to get the same nett profit. That is one of the advantages of going to the premium end of the market.

779HOB
26 Jan 2012 - 5:12 PM

Quote: their portrait order will come to about 2.5k

Without being noisy; can I ask how many of those orders do you get a year? If you don't want to say that's fine as it's not really any of my business.

DT01
DT01  569 forum posts
26 Jan 2012 - 6:01 PM

Quote:
Without being noisy; can I ask how many of those orders do you get a year? If you don't want to say that's fine as it's not really any of my business.

I have only had a studio for a short while and am not yet in full swing, particularly with marketing (and that being the most important aspect!) However, most of the last few orders have all been in excess of 1000. The sub 1k tend to be round the 7-800 mark. I would add that there is no hard sell or coercion involved and no one has yet said, 'How much????!!!' in that way!

779HOB
26 Jan 2012 - 6:19 PM

@DTO1 - sounds cool and very encouraging hope it keeps coming in. What do people get for 1000+?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.