Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Opening an image from Lightroom to Photoshop as a smart object

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Consulo
    Consulo  10768 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jan 2013 - 12:26 PM

Hi folks,

Just been watching a couple of tutorial videos and I've seen mention of opening an image you've been working on in LR as a Smart Object in PS. If I right click on a worked on image in LR and go down to mouse over 'Edit In', the option to 'Open as Smart Object in Photoshop' option is greyed out.

Is there some setting that I maybe don't have enabled in LR that is making this option unavailable?

Cheers,
    Michael.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    17 Jan 2013 - 12:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mlewis
    mlewis  91476 forum posts United Kingdom
    17 Jan 2013 - 12:50 PM

What version of Lightroom and PS do you have? If you have the latest LR and not the latest PS the version of ACR in PS may not be compatible unless you use Process 2010 in Lightroom. This may cause the issue.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318446 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jan 2013 - 12:51 PM

Sounds like Lightroom is not recognising Photoshop or Photoshop does not have the necessary update to process the file you're trying to Open as Smart object. Can you open the file directly in Photoshop?

Consulo
    17 Jan 2013 - 12:56 PM

Sorry, should've included version info.

PS CS5, LR 3. Just downloaded ACR 6.3.

Pete - yes, I can open the file as a TIFF/PSD etc in PS just fine, but not as a smart object.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318446 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jan 2013 - 1:04 PM

That kind of puts the problem to the connection between Lightroom and PS then.
    Have you checked preferences? Not sure this will be the answer but under File Handling there's a compatibility option which lists Camera Raw. Mine's set at 7.1 or later and works fine

Consulo
    17 Jan 2013 - 1:07 PM

Just had a look at the preferences you mention Pete and the newest it lists is 5.4 and later. Source of the problem?

Pete
    17 Jan 2013 - 1:12 PM

Possibly...although it does come under an Import section and you're exporting, but might indicate the two are not in sync. I've not come across this issue before so it's stabs in the dark I'm afraid. Hopefully someone else will be along with the remedy Smile

One other thought - You say you just downloaded ACR 6.3. Is that installed now and have you rebooted the computer since or at least restarted Lightroom?

Last Modified By Pete at 17 Jan 2013 - 1:15 PM
    Consulo
    17 Jan 2013 - 1:28 PM

Yeah, everything's installed and I just reset - still no joy.

User_Removed
    17 Jan 2013 - 4:18 PM

No such problem with LR4 and CS6 and I previously experienced no problem with LR4 and CS5.

Just a wee suggestion: The difference between LR3 and LR4 is so massive, in terms of its processing algorithms, that it really is worth the very nominal charge of the upgrade. I wouldn't say quite the same for the CS5/CS6 upgrade unless you are really a "power user" of CS.

tomgardner
    17 Jan 2013 - 7:46 PM

I have LR4.3 and PS CS5, and the 'open as Smart object' link is active- you don't need CS6, even going from the latest process edits in LR. I agree the upgrade to LR4 is worth it.

Consulo
    17 Jan 2013 - 8:52 PM

I'll look into upgrading to LR4. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.