Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Opening Raw image

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    nikon
    nikon e2 Member 10108 forum postsnikon vcard England
    26 Oct 2008 - 12:48 PM

I am having a problem opening Raw images from a canon G9.
    have all of the canon software installed, and I have no trouble opening Raw images from a Canon 10D or Canon 40D. When looked at in Canon digital photo professional thums of 10d and 40d are visable,but those from the G9 are grayed out. What am I doing wrong??

Last Modified By nikon at 26 Oct 2008 - 12:49 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Oct 2008 - 12:48 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

John_Frid
    John_Frid  8514 forum posts United Kingdom56 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Oct 2008 - 12:59 PM

I expect you are trying to open the G9 images using a version of DPP that came with either the 10D or the 40D.

I have found that you have to use the Raw editor that comes with ZoomBrowser. If you select the image you want then click the edit button an option comes up to process the Raw image. Click on this and then ok the next message and you are into a Raw editor that supports G9 Raw images.

Hope that helps.

nikon
    26 Oct 2008 - 4:02 PM

I have loaded the software that came with the G9, and can open as you describe in raw editor, but this does not have the versitility of canon digital photo professional where you have a work station to manipulate the raw image I.E. white balance, colour and hue saturation, sharpness, and the final option to save the original Raw image along with a Tiff and a Jpeg copy.In order to work in raw editor you have to convert the raw before adjustments are done.
    Dave

Last Modified By nikon at 26 Oct 2008 - 4:05 PM
    John_Frid
    John_Frid  8514 forum posts United Kingdom56 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Oct 2008 - 4:39 PM

I have just opened an image using the Raw image editor supplied with the G9 and the options I have (and the order they appear in) are as follows:

Exposure Cmpensation
    White Balance (pre set and custom adjustments)
    Tone curve adjustment
    A range of pre set and a custom colour adjustment

if you use custom colour you can then change:

Contrast
    Sharpness
    Saturation
    Red/Green/Blue channels
    Skin Tone

There is also a adaptive noise control

Once you have made your desired adjustments you can save them as a JPEG, TIFF (8 bits/Ch) or TIFF (16 bits/Ch)

Strangely, however, if you try to use this bit of software to edit a Raw image taken by another Canon camera (a 20D in my case), the options are far more limited.

My solution - keep using your original raw editor where you can and only use the G9 raw editor for the G9.

John

nikon
    26 Oct 2008 - 10:26 PM

I was begining to think I had a problem with the G9, but you have confirmed that not all canon cameras are compatable with all canon editing software. Thanks for your time and effort John.

Dave.

ukdrifter
    ukdrifter  6 United Kingdom
    14 Nov 2008 - 2:56 PM

Have you tried canon zoombrowser?

strawman
    strawman  1022003 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Nov 2008 - 3:43 PM

The G9 is supported by Zoom Browser but not DPP. Capture 1 does recognise and open the RAW files from it though. With the G10 DPP supports it. I did not try Adobe RAW, but I think it does, if not the DNG converter may allow you to use Adobe RAW.

Last Modified By strawman at 14 Nov 2008 - 3:44 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.