Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Optical trigger SKY 3 not always firing

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MrGoatsmilk
23 Feb 2011 - 12:19 AM

I took delivery of a SKY 3 optical trigger to use with my Canon 420EX Speedlight.

When I set up and switch on the flash I can trigger it with the 40D on camera flash, however the trigger will not fire the speedlight again unless I switch the speedlight off and on again or remove and replace the trigger. The flash is fine on camera no problems at all.

Anyone else encountered such a problem?

Thanks

Stu

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Feb 2011 - 12:19 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MrGoatsmilk
23 Feb 2011 - 12:36 AM

Oooops above should read SYK-3

duratorque
duratorque  11413 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Feb 2011 - 8:44 AM

I tried this type of optical trigger before and found to to be unreliable because the metal top plate short out the pins of the flash gun. I solved it by taping the metal top plate with insulating tap.

I would recommend you switch over to radio triggers for off camera work. They have far greater range and more reliable. Also, you can trigger them in day light outdoor.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
MrGoatsmilk
23 Feb 2011 - 9:36 AM

When taping the top plate did you just leave the centre pin exposed?

Which wireless triggers do you use? I have a Bessel wireless trigger for my Bowens but don't have any adapter for the 420EX that would fit,

MrGoatsmilk
23 Feb 2011 - 10:39 AM

Tried the tape, no different so seems to be a faulty unit. The seller is sending another out today.

duratorque
duratorque  11413 forum posts United Kingdom
24 Feb 2011 - 1:38 PM

Yes, thats what I did. Cover all the metal part leaving the centre pin exposed. There are many triggers on ebay. I have the PT04. RF-602 are very popular for off camera strobist work. With these triggers, the flash gun fit directly over them.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
MrGoatsmilk
24 Feb 2011 - 4:48 PM

Thank you, I shall invest in some of those and a second flash gun.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
24 Feb 2011 - 5:33 PM

Quote: I took delivery of a SKY 3 optical trigger to use with my Canon 420EX Speedlight

I gave all my canon gear away a while ago now but still have the 420ex, from memory its the flash unit and not the trigger at fault.

There`s no issues using any other flash unit.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 24 Feb 2011 - 5:39 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
24 Feb 2011 - 6:03 PM

Ok just been and double check, the units pretty basic and there no manual setting and it will only fire the once without switching off and back on again.

It has a slave switch and buttons for groups and channels so it might still work with the wireless canon thingy, but its a pretty old unit now.

MrGoatsmilk
24 Feb 2011 - 6:30 PM

Surely the unit is only there to fire it? The flash works fine on camera and does not have to be switched on and off.

I shall have to try it at the camera club with someone elses flash and see how that goes.

mrcal
mrcal  101032 forum posts
24 Feb 2011 - 7:04 PM

I'm pretty sure that this is a known problem in that optical triggers and Canon flash don't get on. Certainly I can replicate the problem with my kit.

RF wireless triggers work flawlessly every time.

Paul Morgan
24 Feb 2011 - 7:33 PM

Quote: Surely the unit is only there to fire it? The flash works fine on camera and does not have to be switched on and off

And it will, just the once believe me, i dug it out and re-tested just for you.

You can go and pick up any manual flash unit in a junk shop for just a few pounds, and it will work.

Like I said, it a problem with that particular model of flash unit, and not the optical trigger.

There`s not even any manual control with this unit, making it pretty useless for off camera work anyway Sad

MrGoatsmilk
24 Feb 2011 - 7:47 PM

Quote: Surely the unit is only there to fire it? The flash works fine on camera and does not have to be switched on and off

And it will, just the once believe me, i dug it out and re-tested just for you.

You can go and pick up any manual flash unit in a junk shop for just a few pounds, and it will work.

Like I said, it a problem with that particular model of flash unit, and not the optical trigger.

There`s not even any manual control with this unit, making it pretty useless for off camera work anyway Sad

Yes it is a basic unit, but I can't understand why if the trigger is fine I would need to turn it off and on each time. I think I may have a look at getting a couple of flashes with manual for off camera work instead of the dead basic 420.

Been flowing another flash thread and seems the Yongnuo speedlite are worth getting.

Cheers for digging yours out and having a look Smile

Paul Morgan
25 Feb 2011 - 3:57 AM

Quote: Yes it is a basic unit, but I can't understand why if the trigger is fine I would need to turn it off and on each time

Because that particular flash unit does not like optical slaves.

Quote: Been flowing another flash thread and seems the Yongnuo speedlite are worth getting

I you want to use optical slaves why bother, older flash units with full manual control are seriously cheap second hand.

MrGoatsmilk
25 Feb 2011 - 9:38 AM

Thanks again Paul. I shall have a look what I can find second hand and have a play.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.