Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Optical viewfinder (hot shoe)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315163 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Apr 2013 - 9:43 PM

Why are they so expensive ?

Decided to make my own, well salvage from 35mm film compacts.

A 28mm and a 35mm.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Apr 2013 - 9:43 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

paulcookphotography

Good on you! I attempted to do something similar for one of mine but couldnt get the looks right and eventually spent some spare pennies from a wee lottery bonus on a compatible 'real thing'. After all, a hot/accessory shoe mounted viewfinder is generally just a bit of target practice (depending on the lens/focal length) so a lot of the 'official' parts are just overpriced plastics

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315163 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Apr 2013 - 1:11 AM

So far I`ve stripped a 35mm compact fitted with a 35mm lens, so the viewfinder shows 35mm within the frame lines, just waiting for the glue to dry.

Its looking good so far, paid 99p for the camera in a charity shop, better than paying 150 for something that will not be any better.

Paul Morgan
    4 Apr 2013 - 1:39 AM

Glue is dry, here it is, used other parts of the old casing to tidy it up leaving it pretty neat.

Circled is the part needed.
    dscf6783.jpg

And here it is, its attached to my x10 here, but this and the 28mm viewfinder will be used with the GF2.

p1020141.jpg

p1020144.jpg

pablophotographer

Great pro work Paul, it even has a serial number Smile

Paul Morgan
    4 Apr 2013 - 3:09 AM

Still got a few edges to file then a lick of paint, serial numbers from the base of the old camera, that will be disappearing Smile

timbo
    timbo  11591 forum posts United Kingdom
    4 Apr 2013 - 12:52 PM

Reckon you have a dud camera! My X10 has a viewfinder Wink

dandeakin
    dandeakin  6200 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Apr 2013 - 1:38 PM

Looks very good...

Paul Morgan
    4 Apr 2013 - 7:14 PM

Quote: Reckon you have a dud camera! My X10 has a viewfinder

Yeh Smile

Discovered today I may not need to make a second.

Taking into account the M4/3 crop factor the and using the sides of the frames lines, it more or less covers 28mm.

Paul Morgan
    5 Apr 2013 - 2:46 AM

I went a step further today, added wooden side panels. they just need rubbing down with fine sand paper and varnishing now.

p1020147.jpg

Paul Morgan
    26 Apr 2013 - 5:29 PM

I`ve got around to building a few more, this time for other people, built these using match sticks.

They just need a final rub down and varnishing.

dscf6923.jpg

pablophotographer

shortly in body - matching - colours I suspect!

well done!

Snapper
    Snapper  93731 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Apr 2013 - 11:39 PM

OK, it's late on a Friday so I'm not the sharpest tool in the box, but why would you need to do this for an X10 which already has an optical viewfinder? Oh, and it works at all focal lengths of the fixed lens, not just a couple of them. Maybe time for a Confused smiley! Wink

Paul Morgan
    27 Apr 2013 - 1:20 AM

No there not for the x10, this already has a viewfinder, I used one of the DIY OVF`s with the x10 to make instant comparisons, not that the x10 was very good showing just 85%.

My own OVF`s give 100% within the frame lines and more outside, there just perfect for camera`s with no viewfinder and there cheap to make.

Paul Morgan
    2 May 2013 - 6:51 PM

Here`s another, this one is for somebody else, I`ve ran out of fine sand paper, its not quite finished, again this one will cover 28mm.

dscf7001.jpg

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.