Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Organising photos using iPad

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    mdpontin
    mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
    5 Jan 2013 - 3:16 PM

I'm trying to find out to what extent an iPad alone (i.e. not supplemented by a laptop/desktop computer) could be used to organise, index, sort, catalogue, etc. digital photos. The purpose of this is to assist a member of my family who has had no previous experience with computers, and has no desire to be exposed to the potential complexities that are inherent in something as powerful and flexible as a traditional computer. In addition, she is also registered as partially sighted.

At present, all of her photos are transferred to CD by a neighbour, but this leaves her with no way to find specific pictures (other than by painstakingly viewing all photos until she finds the one she wants), or to put together a slideshow (other than by simply showing all of the photos on a CD). What's needed is something which can allow metadata editing to add descriptions and keywords, as well as providing a means of comparing similar photos. She's unlikely to be interested in image editing - although I realise this is likely to be a feature of suitable apps - and will probably use something like Dropbox for backup and longer term storage.

I expect some kind of web-based service might do what's needed - I don't know as I've never used anything of that kind myself - but I think it would be preferable to keep the majority of the functionality on the local device in this case.

I found Mobile Pond's Photogene for iPad, which looks as though it might just be a possibility. I was wondering if anybody on ePHOTOzine can offer suggestions or advice.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last Modified By mdpontin at 5 Jan 2013 - 3:22 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Jan 2013 - 3:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gaucho
    Gaucho e2 Member 122309 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jan 2013 - 4:07 PM

I don't have an iPad but would Picasa help?

KONIN
    KONIN e2 Member 3252 forum postsKONIN vcard England
    5 Jan 2013 - 4:19 PM

hi,look on the app store under photography you will find loads of apps for that.

mdpontin
    5 Jan 2013 - 6:28 PM

Malcolm, I don't think so from the little I know about Picasa.
    Stuart, yes, but I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations.

Smile

User_Removed
    5 Jan 2013 - 8:35 PM

Get the neighbour to upload the photos to a photo-sharing site instead of burning them to CD, probably easier than getting them onto the iPad.

Picasa web albums, Flickr etc all offer good organisational features and there's tutorial videos and user forums for the How-Tos.

They can automatically produce slideshows of certain people, certain dates etc. Also other people, like yourself, can log in and help with the organising.

mdpontin
    5 Jan 2013 - 10:19 PM

Thanks Chris. I'm not ruling it out, I just feel that it's unlikely to appeal to her. She has no past experience with computers, and also no familiarity with web-based services either. I think the concept is likely to be just a bit too alien. Also she'd be very unlikely to be interested in sharing her photos online. Until switching to digital photography, the idea would have been to put together a short slideshow (with real slides!) for when a few members of the family were visiting. The direct social interaction is still important.

User_Removed
    6 Jan 2013 - 8:23 PM

If she can learn a native app I feel sure she could learn a web app

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.