Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Original or Compatible Inks?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
steebi
steebi  1263 forum posts United Kingdom
10 Dec 2011 - 8:33 PM

After requesting information about an A3 printer -

http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/which-a3-printer---again--93503/p-0#comme...

I finally decided on a Canon Pixma Pro Mk11. I am happy with the choice but as I will be doing a lot of printing I am still pondering on whether or not to use compatible inks with a continuous ink system.
First of all, I realize that Canon say it will make the warranty void if non genuine inks are used but does anyone have experience of compatible inks actually damaging their machine or is this so you buy Canon inks?
These are two links to continuous ink systems I have seen on ebay. If you have experience of them please let me know...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220878201866?var=520051919865&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270845015290?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398...

I have seen comments on other forums like ‘You have a good printer there (Canon Pixma Pro 9000Mk11) don’t spoil things by using compatible inks.
Is this a theoretical point of view or is the difference really noticeable. I would also like to know if anyone has had a problem with compatible inks clogging the print heads on this printer. All comments welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Dec 2011 - 8:33 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53469 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2011 - 11:30 PM

For smaller cheaper A4 printers I've used chipped compatibles. For a new A3 printer with i assume lots of ink tanks, I'd probably only use canon inks for the first year.
If i was selling work I'd use canon ink for an assurance on longevity of colour.

danbrann
danbrann e2 Member 9462 forum postsdanbrann vcard 15 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2011 - 11:52 PM

I have the Canon Pro 9000 and was using compatibles and also wasting a lot of paper. I changed to genuine canon inks and have never wasted a sheet since

sherring
sherring  646 forum posts United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
11 Dec 2011 - 11:47 AM

I refill the carts myself on all my inkjet printers including an Epson R2400 and a Canon MG5250. Once you get the hang of it its much cheaper.
Colour wise the canon prints fine with the standard profiles, but I had to get a custom profile for the R2400, about £20, and now the colours are spot on. I sell my work without issue and am very happy with the results, also being a virgo and I am very fussy about my work demanding perfection whenever possible.

I personally would not go back to the manufacturers origional Rip off priced cartridges. Also by refilling you are also helping the planet by not filling up landfill sites with millions of non degradable cartridges. Maybe Inkjet manufacturers would be better off divising a way of refilling their machines with their own ink, which they get manufactured by someone else anyway, and helping the environment.

I got the Canon inks from OctoInkjet which I have found to be a very good company to deal with.

Hope this helps in your quest.

Steve.

rogleale
rogleale  11117 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Dec 2011 - 2:07 PM

I have used Canon printers for years, and I am now on a Pro9000 MKll. I won't just express my opinion on compatible inks, but the attached picture is pretty explicit.
It shows a test I carried out over a period of about eight months, and shows where the test photos were mounted. In a busy kitchen, close to a window but not in direct sunlight.
The top picture was printed using the Canon Chroma Life inks - the other with a known compatible make!
What do you think?

test.jpg

Roger

steebi
steebi  1263 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Dec 2011 - 2:29 PM

Hi rogleale, yes I get the point with your test. In the past I have had the same trouble when using compatible inks with an Epson 2400 but I also noticed that different makes of compatible inks were more lightfast than others and I would always put a sticker on the back of framed prints saying 'Do not position in direct sunlight'.

I would prefer to use original inks and may just decide I'll have to but one reason I am asking about cheaper inks right now is that I intend to print greetings cards on my Canon, at least for a while and it could get expensive. I really don't know how Canon and Epson justify their prices.

If you are there sherring, have you had this kind of trouble with the inks from 'OctoInkjet'?

rogleale
rogleale  11117 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Dec 2011 - 4:59 PM

Hi Steebi,
I think that you may be quite surprised by how many prints the Canon cartridges can manage, I was.
However, if I was going to print greeting cards I would buy a cheap printer of any make, and use compatible inks. Greetings cards are not long lived are they!
I did try compatible cartridges on my Canon i9950, but not for long. I ended up changing the print head. I now only use the Pro 9000 for final prints and everything else goes through the i9950 but using Canon inks now.

Roger

sherring
11 Dec 2011 - 5:52 PM

Hi again.

I have only just bought the canon printer and started using the new inks so cannot comment on the fade resistance. I do however produce my own greeting cards using an old Epsom stylus colour 800 using inks from octoinkjet and had no complaints. I have also used jettech ink to make them also with no problems. Cards are not really a problem as they are not usually kept on display for long periods.

Some third party inks are better than others though. Permajet inks are guild of craftsman approved I believe, so you could check their website for details. I use Ilfospeed pigment inks in my R2400
Steve.

KevSB
KevSB  101390 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
11 Dec 2011 - 6:03 PM

The problem I have found with cheaper compatible inks are that the colours change from batch to batch so your profiles printer wont produce consistent results, that does not happan with genuine cartrages.
There are some bulk inks suppliers out there that are not so cheap and tend to be consistent, cheaper than epson but not going to be cheaper end of market, I use lyson ink which have been very good for me and save me a fortune on epson origenals but at 250 quid a set of bottles they arnt cheap in outlay.
Like anything, you get what you Pay for as the saying goes.
As said above permajet has a good reputation, certenly wouldent use any of the lesser known suppliers.

Dave_Canon
11 Dec 2011 - 7:35 PM

If you cannot see the difference and nor can anyone who you show your prints then do save the money. Unfortunately, I can see the difference and so can the judges of the various competitions I enter so it very straightforward for me, I have to pay for the genuine cartridges. Interesting, in a completely independent test Which? found compatible inks to be poor to the extent that they felt that Epson inks for Epson printers and Canon inks for Canon printers represented better value for money.

Dave

sherring
12 Dec 2011 - 8:47 AM

I should have said I use Fotospeed pigment inks in my R2400.

Steve.

dcash29
dcash29  81870 forum posts England
12 Dec 2011 - 12:09 PM

Roger -
Quote:
The top picture was printed using the Canon Chroma Life inks - the other with a known compatible make!
What do you think?

What make is the thrid party ink?

Last Modified By dcash29 at 12 Dec 2011 - 12:10 PM
Pointyhead
22 Dec 2011 - 9:16 PM

Quote: Roger -
What do you think?

What make is the thrid party ink?

Exactly. There are a lot of really poor third party inks so it really is a case of you get out what you put in!

francisg
francisg  10703 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2012 - 11:23 AM

I tried using the cheaper compatible inks in a few printers, but found it to be false economy. Each time I tried them it was OK for a while then the printer started giving problems with the inks and finally had to be replaced. Lesson Learned. I am now using a Lexmark with their inks and so far all is well. My advice to anyone considering using these cheaper varieties would be to leave them well alone. They mat work initialy but not on a long term basis.

dcash29
dcash29  81870 forum posts England
2 Jan 2012 - 6:24 PM

Still havent heard off Roger what the name was of the well known compatible ink
in the eight month trial.

Francis what make?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.