Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Original or Compatible Inks?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

francisg
francisg  10703 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2012 - 8:09 PM

The Printer I am now useing is a Lexmark 305. and the Inks are the recomended Lexmark 100. And so far they are working well.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Jan 2012 - 8:09 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dcash29
dcash29  81908 forum posts England
2 Jan 2012 - 8:37 PM

i meant your compatible inks and on what printer?

francisg
2 Jan 2012 - 8:47 PM

I have had three differant makes in the past. One was an Epsom Stylus. and the last one was a Hewit Plackard. The inks I started using was cartridge refills by a local shop.Also from Computor World (It used to be Dixons.)

dcash29
2 Jan 2012 - 9:33 PM

Quote: local shop.Also from Computor World

thats where your problem was

anyway youve moved on, so whatever works for you

Last Modified By dcash29 at 2 Jan 2012 - 9:34 PM
francisg
2 Jan 2012 - 9:36 PM

That was an expensive lesson well learned.

dcash29
2 Jan 2012 - 9:55 PM

Quote: That was an expensive lesson well learned.

what buying a new printer or buying 3rd party inks from places that dont know anything?

francisg
2 Jan 2012 - 10:07 PM

On Both counts. Though on my last visit to PC World I noticed all the chaper so called compatable inks had been removed. And the shop that refilled the cartridges has closed. Hmmm.

dcash29
2 Jan 2012 - 10:17 PM

you need to be using this site more for info...lol

newfocus
newfocus  8644 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jan 2012 - 7:19 PM

Personally speaking I wouldn't risk anything but manufacturer's ink on prints for sale unless the ink/paper/printer combo had been properly independently tested for longevity and fade resistance in the same way as say, some of the Epson ink+paper combos have - it's just not worth the potential damage to reputation.

Printing for personal use is a different issue of course but it's worth bearing in mind too that more expensive printers often have a lower total cost of ownership. For instance a few years back the Epson 3800 (which shipped with 720ml ink) was actually cheaper to buy than an Epson 2400 + equivalent volume of ink at Epson 2400 cartridge prices - if you do enough printing to use it.

OldTom1
OldTom1  269 forum posts
6 Jan 2012 - 8:05 PM

While most of my printing goes to a commercial printer, I do print single prints on my Epson R2400. For prints I sell I would always use genuine inks and paper. I feel I would be cheating the customer.
The contributer printing greetings cards probably could get away with compatible as fading would not be a problem as most cards are destroyed within a few days or weeks.

steebi
steebi  1363 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Jan 2012 - 12:31 PM

Yes I've come to the conclusion that I should use the original inks for prints using Canon 9000Mk2 and use another printer with compatibles for the cards.
There does still seem to be a gap in comments about the continous ink systems though and how light fast particular makes have proved to be. I presume these inks could be usefull if longs runs are ever needed. Anyway looks like I need to check the bank account...

OldTom1
OldTom1  269 forum posts
7 Jan 2012 - 4:25 PM

Several aquaintences of mine who have used the continuous ink systems have abandoned them within months and gone back to cartridges.

francisg
7 Jan 2012 - 7:15 PM

"Several aquaintences of mine who have used the continuous ink systems have abandoned them within months and gone back to cartridges."

Did they give any reason to abandon the continuous ink systems?

StevenJLewis
11 Mar 2012 - 9:06 PM

if you want a quality print then use quality ink and quality paper - which for me means the manufacturer's products. Others will disagree but read the science why they work together.
For greetings cards I wouldn't need the same quality output as a "photo" print, but of course I only have one printer! And the receipients of my greetings cards are not as critical as I am of photos on my wall (not that there's many on my wall yet)

thewilliam
20 Mar 2012 - 1:06 PM

I think it's wise to treat Epson and HP printers very differently.

Replacement heads for Epson printers are so expensive that it's generally better to replace the machine. For this reason, our wide-format Epson has only ever used genuine inks. The cheapie Epson that we have for printing on CD or stiff media does have a CISS but in the full knowledge that it'll go in the skip when it suffers a serious problem with the nozzles.

HP printers have user-replaceable print-heads that are much the same cost as an ink cartridge so I'd risk third-party inks.

One friend with inside knowledge did warn me never to mix ink types so if you want to use CISS do it from when the printer is new.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 20 Mar 2012 - 1:07 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.