Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

originality (group forum)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    clicknimagine
    11 Jul 2010 - 9:47 AM

what does originality mean to you in relation to a photograph? can anybody please share your thoughts?

does it mean a completely new idea?...

Last Modified By clicknimagine at 11 Jul 2010 - 9:48 AM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    11 Jul 2010 - 9:47 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

clicknimagine
    12 Jul 2010 - 10:01 AM

no one wants to add anything?...

Morpyre
    Morpyre e2 Member 91622 forum postsMorpyre vcard Wales8 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Jul 2010 - 5:50 PM

only just learned of the new groups feature today Grin

shall try and not waffle on but to me originality doesn't have to be totally new to anything ever done before but can simply be a fresh take on a popular subject. if the popular approach is one particular angle in for example a portrait. most might be taken from right hand side so instead in your approach look down from above, or from down below.

when i look through the gallery, i like an image that jumps out and grabs me and first thing i think is, ooh i havn't seen that done that way before rather than just grunting and hmmm yet another! and walk on.

i shall stop there because i am doing what i said i wouldn't. hope i have said something along the lines of what you wanted to hear. i love original new fresh and aim to do so as often as i can in my own photography Grin

peter

clicknimagine
    28 Jul 2010 - 5:58 PM

thanks Peter for your valuable input, and you are very much welcome to the group,

"originality doesn't have to be totally new to anything ever done before but can simply be a fresh take on a popular subject"

so you want to say a fresh look is the main thing can be said as original,

what should you say about the fresh look, is it different composition, or different expression, or different kinds of lighting, or different subject matter or anything else?...

Morpyre
    Morpyre e2 Member 91622 forum postsMorpyre vcard Wales8 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Jul 2010 - 8:45 PM

yeah - i think a way i can put it is like this:

Painting. typical variations:- water colours, oils, acrylics. - all under title Painting but under that word is a very vast range of variations.

through the centuries there have been many styles created by the great masters and legends of art. a new way is thought up by someone which is nothing like the previous versions in history and starts a whole fresh way. basic subjects stay the same such as portraits, landscapes, still life etc but the way they are approached isn't just an exact copy. a rembrandt portrait compared to a van gogh - both of them painted portraits but in an entirely different style. nobody would say to gogh, oh you liked rembrandt then?

either an entirely new way can be invented nothing like anything before or a new variation of an already existed subject. by all means make something fresh and new but don't ever just be a photocopier because that definitely isn't being original.

originality is a difficult one to describe in words quickly but i think the above helps towards giving some idea of what i mean Grin

clicknimagine
    29 Jul 2010 - 6:53 AM

Thanks Peter,

yes, your point is very much helpful indeed,

according to you, the subject matter may be same or different that does not matter, but the style should be different, and that should not be an exact copy,

ok, i am trying to give an example, this is one of your own images, suppose you have photo shopped this image and given some texture layer or something else to give a different feel, can you then say that the manipulated one is also an original work...

Morpyre
    29 Jul 2010 - 9:54 AM

that i would term as a "variation original" - making a new interesting image. however if i just simply made it black & white than i wouldn't call it an original because it looks obvious like the first one just mono.

another example using one of my images. dandelion - i would call this a variation original because it is so different from the first dandelion image so it can be called 2 seperate images.

if i took a photograph of a sunflower and applied a vangogh plugin filter on photoshop that created the texture effect of his sunflower painting. that isn't original at all. ok it is a photo not a painting but it looks like the VG painting and you have done nothing new.

i enjoy both entirely original and variation original in my approach. what i like about variation original is that i can expand the potential of my image to make it a hugely bigger thing than just one single picture. there are times i have made 10 new images from one base photo. to get that impact with one single original image, it has to be damn good Grin

clicknimagine
    29 Jul 2010 - 10:15 AM

another example using one of my images. dandelion - i would call this a variation original because it is so different from the first dandelion image so it can be called 2 seperate images.

is v2 original? and v1 is the variation original? if so,

i could hardly say v1 is derived from v2, why you are not calling v1 is original also, because,

according to you, the subject matter may be same or different that does not matter, but the style should be different, and that should not be an exact copy,

v1 is not the exact copy of v2,
    v1 is a digital art, v2 is a close up,
    v1 and v2 are example of different styles as well,

so v1 should be an example of original image?...

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.