Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Originality

JohnParminter
7 1.3k 14 England
16 Jun 2010 2:32PM
Here is one image I find very original, simply because I have never thought of this concept myself before and therefore I suppose never seen this type before.

34303.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
16 Jun 2010 2:41PM
it's not original to me John - for the same reasons as yours really, i've seen lots of mountain shots like this and they are pretty breath taking, but reasonably similar.

This is definitely a tricker thread to find photos for than the Cliche Amnesty Thread Wink

here's one I think was pretty original - 2 moden dance students doing some stuff for their finals, they got me along to photograph them doing their act. this wasn't part of it, the girl was putting the blind fold on the lad and I caught the moment.

I've never seen anything like this before really - blind folds, grey/black coats etc. Almost like a holocaust scene in a way.

18097-1179511378.jpg

lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
16 Jun 2010 2:51PM
Wonder if my elephants eye tryptich counts as original ?
elephanteye.jpg

KevSB
10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
16 Jun 2010 2:52PM
altho Origenality is very difficult to achive in the modern world of the internet where every image can be compared with something simular, when a member puts something totally different in a camera club that no one has seen. before...Is that origenal, To a degree yes..the pair of jean in the landscape comp recently, The picture of a pair of jeans isnt origenal, but used in the landscape comp took on a new meaning and much more origenal.

I photograph Big living history events, what am copying the past or the present. the event im taking the picture of is happening and is origenal as photography was not around during some periods I cover.

So define what is origenal
Anthony e2
13 5.6k 17 Scotland
16 Jun 2010 2:57PM
this was quite an interesting question Pete, I just spent some time going back through my portfolio, and could only find a handful of shots that I thought were original. Some food for thought there.....

1859-1216314225.jpg

this is a shadow my daughter spotted in Chester, and it looks like a dragon.

1859-1220724778.jpg

this was from last years visit by the giant spider, La Machine.

1859-1240171053.jpg

the geometry in this was what caught my eye.

1859-1264935429.jpg

I think this speaks for itself, ha ha

So what do you think, are these original?

Anthony
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
16 Jun 2010 3:03PM
Good selection there - though I've seen the "photo of the back of someones camera" shot before Anthony. It's good at weddings Wink

the pigeons shot is very cool and that dragon shot is bizzare - a bt like spotting shapes in clouds.

ok - here's a very familiar, almost cliche, location but taken from and angle I've not seen before - original or just another shot?

18097-1212345239.jpg

clicknimagine e2
5 221 88
16 Jun 2010 3:03PM
here is the link of my pf as a submission, except a few general shots...
JohnParminter
7 1.3k 14 England
16 Jun 2010 3:09PM

Quote:So define what is origenal

Well for me Kev it is anything I see that appeals and resonates with my tastes but I haven't thought of the idea or concept of before, as in the car wash picture above. The concept or idea is new to me, I like it for it's story, humour and aesthetics so it is original to me.

@ Ade, no for me this isn't original, as mentioned above, I have seen the idea and concept of many images of buildings from differing angles, this one may be from an unusual angle and one that I won't have seen before but the idea is the same as many before.
Anthony e2
13 5.6k 17 Scotland
16 Jun 2010 3:10PM
Maybe thats where I got it from them, lol.

The dragon shadow, was completely genuine too. She just said to me, look dad, a dragon. And she was so right. The pigeon was luck, they were in and out of the bars every few seconds, I jsut waited.

Anthony
paulcr e2
10 1.5k 9 Ireland
16 Jun 2010 3:17PM
Originality is something I constantly strive for but cant always achieve. A couple of personal favourites of mine though are here

Here
And here
But they are all digital manipulations and not once off original shots, if you know what I mean.

Paul
paulcr e2
10 1.5k 9 Ireland
16 Jun 2010 3:23PM
Ok lets try that again Here

Here
And here
cattyal e2
9 6.4k 6 England
16 Jun 2010 3:25PM
mmmm - shall have to take a look through my pics this evening and see if I can find something original - there must be something in there.

As for the heel/lemon combo - I did do a heel/cream doughnut combination once - it's buried someone on the ext. hard drive now.
Morpyre e2
10 1.6k 8 Wales
16 Jun 2010 3:28PM
i strive for originality in my creative visuals - i take 2 approaches - create a visual i have never seen done that comes directly from my mind (usually more artistic than standard photograph) or i do a popular subject but entirely in my own way rather than just being another page coming out of a photocopier doing nothing different at all from the clone source. i would say i havn't seen other photographs on epz galleries like my own but i won't because i don't want to appear smug or vane Grin
JohnParminter
7 1.3k 14 England
16 Jun 2010 3:30PM

Quote:Well for me Kev it is anything I see that appeals and resonates with my tastes but I haven't thought of the idea or concept of before,

By my own definition of what I think constitutes originality for me, I will not be able to create anything original in my own eyes. I could however possibly create something original in other's eyes.

Originality is in the eye of the beholder then...

Smile
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
16 Jun 2010 3:33PM
OK I'll bite, see if you can find images similar ..

17804-11164.jpg

One

lrg-17804-1109669157.jpg

Two

lrg-53403-1130782842.jpg

Three

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.