Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Out of date films

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Lulu01
Lulu01  5156 forum posts
1 Sep 2012 - 3:43 PM

Hi, I have around 16 films with use by dates from 2009/2010 which I never got round to using when I switched to digital. I was going to offer them on here FOC, but wanted to check whether they would still be any good before I do.

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Sep 2012 - 3:43 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122305 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2012 - 3:59 PM

I would have thought that if they were not subjected to extreme temperature differences they would be fine. I'm sure someone will take up your kind offer.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Lulu01
Lulu01  5156 forum posts
1 Sep 2012 - 4:04 PM

Thanks, Gaucho. They've just been in a chest of drawers in our spare room. It's not near any windows or anything so shouldn't have got much in the way of heat/cold etc.

ensign
ensign e2 Member 7185 forum postsensign vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2012 - 4:27 PM

Hi Lulu, Recently I also found a batch of outdated film and by chance a pack of outdated ID11. So thought I would give them a try. Both seemed to work. I would also agree with Gaucho with regard to the storage. So give the a go and best of luck.
Bernard .

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122305 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2012 - 4:30 PM

Best place to store film is wrapped in a plastic bag in the fridge. Used to annoy the hell out of my wife Wink

User_Removed
1 Sep 2012 - 6:00 PM

Quote: Used to annoy the hell out of my wife

Still does irritate mine!! Grin Grin

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41216 forum posts United Kingdom200 Constructive Critique Points
1 Sep 2012 - 8:57 PM

Cold is not so bad, because in a house the temperature won't get low enough to cause problems, and it's better to store it cold.
Hot is different, and often causes a colour shift and maybe a loss of contrast.

Often, with really old films, it is better to develop in black and white (something like ID11) and push the development to increase contrast. That's for really old ones though.

Nick

nikonphotographer

I've still got quite a few 35mm films in the freezer, I once used a roll of Kodachrome that was 9 years out of date, and the images came back perfect

Lulu01
Lulu01  5156 forum posts
2 Sep 2012 - 6:49 AM

Thanks everyone. I was going to pop a note in the Classified ads to see if I can find them a good home, but forgot you have to pay credits. As they are FOC to anyone who wants to collect them in the Herts area (providing they are going to use them and not try and sell them on ebay or something!!), that's not a good plan! Is there any other way I can offer them FOC on here?

Last Modified By Lulu01 at 2 Sep 2012 - 6:11 PM
KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 102983 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Sep 2012 - 2:48 PM

Quote: I was going to pop a note in the Classified ads to see if I can find them a good home, but forgot you have to pay credits.

I was under the impression that the classified was free.

justin c
justin c  104534 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
2 Sep 2012 - 2:50 PM

They're 1 each, minimum order of 5, or you get a certain number of free adverts if you join E2.

Lulu01
Lulu01  5156 forum posts
2 Sep 2012 - 6:12 PM

Oh dear Sad

Is there no other 'free' area on here for members to offer FOC stuff?

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 102983 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Sep 2012 - 6:26 PM

PM "pentaxpete" who may miss this post.

Lulu01
Lulu01  5156 forum posts
3 Sep 2012 - 7:09 AM

Thanks, Ken Taylor. I'll do that.

pentaxpete
3 Sep 2012 - 10:39 AM

Thanks for thinking of me Ken -- I have contacted the member !! Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.