Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Outdoor event photography

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • 1
    • »
    johnmd  1038 forum posts
    12 Jul 2005 - 12:54 PM

    Hi there.
    I have a couple of upcoming outdoor equestrian events coming up and for the first time I have agreed to print onsite (gulp!). I have just about everything I need apart from a minor detail - a power source. The events are not very big but I will need to run a pc, a laptop(has its own battery but as back up I may need to run it beyond batteries) and two epson photo-printers, and they will be running approx 12 hours. If anyone can give me some advice on what sort of genny I need and where I can hire one (Wiltshire)I would be most grateful and may even start sleeping at night again.

    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Jul 2005 - 12:54 PM

    Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

    andytvcams  1110396 forum posts United Kingdom
    12 Jul 2005 - 1:09 PM

    Not sure if you have an Aldi,they were selling Genny's for 68.00.

    12 Jul 2005 - 1:16 PM

    I would say, at least a 2Kw generator. A smaller one could do the job, but it's better to have more power.

    12 Jul 2005 - 2:20 PM

    2kw with a small backup one.

    Always have a backup.

    And a sunscreen for the laptop, and chairs and a table and somewhere out of the wind rain sun dust for the printers etc etc

    exclusive  9579 forum posts United Kingdom
    13 Jul 2005 - 4:51 AM

    lots of paper and ink. and a few signs, so people know what your doing.

    nigelf22  10583 forum posts
    13 Jul 2005 - 7:11 AM

    ...and don't forget the matter of insurance! Or at least a risk assessment if the pony club are adding you to their cover for the day (hopefully!)

    Most of the equestrianista's I know would put their Ned triping over you down to experience, however vastly different matter if darling little Emma/Tobias trips over a cable/table/umbrella.

    Thinking about this a bit more..it sounds like you will have to refill a hot genny at least once... would suggest a suitable fire extinguisher is left in a handy place...and the genny not left unattended if nr grass etc..(sorry I sound like a real downer)

    johnmd  1038 forum posts
    13 Jul 2005 - 9:54 AM

    Thanks for all your advice. Soon I will start sleeping at night again!

    JEFFERIES  957 forum posts
    13 Jul 2005 - 12:47 PM

    just a thought, but cant you buy a transformer that converts 12v to 240v then you can use your car??


    13 Jul 2005 - 12:50 PM

    unless you plan on running your car all day - expensive generator!

    Jason  9
    28 Jul 2005 - 2:04 PM

    I have started doing euestrian events among others
    and I have a converter and 2 big batteries and the car battery as back up if needed.
    run my laptop on its own battery untill it runs out then use the shared battery always turning them off when not in use.
    Has work so far..

    moelwyn  1073 forum posts United Kingdom
    29 Jul 2005 - 12:51 AM

    I use a 12V-240V DC - AC car converter when using my studio lights on location. Park the car nearby, run an extension lead, fantastic! I don't even keep the engine running and one shoot took a few hours and the car started first time. I think these little devices are a god send. I also use it to charge my camera and flash batteries when driving. There's a picture I took of a Triumph bike against a green lit building I took using this set up in my portfolio.


    • «
    • 1
    • »

    Add a Comment

    You must be a member to leave a comment

    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.