Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Outdoor event photography

johnmd 11 38
12 Jul 2005 12:54PM
Hi there.
I have a couple of upcoming outdoor equestrian events coming up and for the first time I have agreed to print onsite (gulp!). I have just about everything I need apart from a minor detail - a power source. The events are not very big but I will need to run a pc, a laptop(has its own battery but as back up I may need to run it beyond batteries) and two epson photo-printers, and they will be running approx 12 hours. If anyone can give me some advice on what sort of genny I need and where I can hire one (Wiltshire)I would be most grateful and may even start sleeping at night again.
Cheers
John

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

andytvcams 12 10.4k United Kingdom
12 Jul 2005 1:09PM
Not sure if you have an Aldi,they were selling Genny's for 68.00.
sillyconguru 10 4.4k
12 Jul 2005 1:16PM
I would say, at least a 2Kw generator. A smaller one could do the job, but it's better to have more power.
UserRemoved 10 4.2k
12 Jul 2005 2:20PM
2kw with a small backup one.

Always have a backup.

And a sunscreen for the laptop, and chairs and a table and somewhere out of the wind rain sun dust for the printers etc etc
exclusive 10 579 United Kingdom
13 Jul 2005 4:51AM
lots of paper and ink. and a few signs, so people know what your doing.
nigelf22 10 583
13 Jul 2005 7:11AM
...and don't forget the matter of insurance! Or at least a risk assessment if the pony club are adding you to their cover for the day (hopefully!)

Most of the equestrianista's I know would put their Ned triping over you down to experience, however vastly different matter if darling little Emma/Tobias trips over a cable/table/umbrella.

Thinking about this a bit more..it sounds like you will have to refill a hot genny at least once... would suggest a suitable fire extinguisher is left in a handy place...and the genny not left unattended if nr grass etc..(sorry I sound like a real downer)
johnmd 11 38
13 Jul 2005 9:54AM
Thanks for all your advice. Soon I will start sleeping at night again!
Cheers
John
JEFFERIES 9 57
13 Jul 2005 12:47PM
just a thought, but cant you buy a transformer that converts 12v to 240v then you can use your car??

Luke
UserRemoved 10 4.2k
13 Jul 2005 12:50PM
unless you plan on running your car all day - expensive generator!
Jason 10 3
28 Jul 2005 2:04PM
hi,
I have started doing euestrian events among others
and I have a converter and 2 big batteries and the car battery as back up if needed.
run my laptop on its own battery untill it runs out then use the shared battery always turning them off when not in use.
Has work so far..
moelwyn 10 73 United Kingdom
29 Jul 2005 12:51AM
I use a 12V-240V DC - AC car converter when using my studio lights on location. Park the car nearby, run an extension lead, fantastic! I don't even keep the engine running and one shoot took a few hours and the car started first time. I think these little devices are a god send. I also use it to charge my camera and flash batteries when driving. There's a picture I took of a Triumph bike against a green lit building I took using this set up in my portfolio.

Moelwyn.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.