Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Outdoor Photographer of the Year – OPOTY 2012

22 Jan 2013 10:59PM
This international competition organised by Outdoor Photography magazine is now in its third year.

On the 20th December 2012 the editor of Outdoor Photography emailed to say that I was on the short-list for the At the Water’s Edge category in respect of one of my submissions and asked for the original Raw file (the dust, the dust!) and also for a high-resolution version of the final image in addition to a short caption giving details of the subject, location name and country, and the technical details.

On the 10th January 2013 I was very pleased to learn that the image had been chosen as the winner of the category. This news was under embargo until the 16th. I was asked whether I would be attending the Outdoors Show in London so that I could receive my category prize.

On Saturday the 19th I duly went to the Excel centre in the Docklands to attend the Outdoors Show. It was great presentation and all the category winners and runner-ups were printed by The Printspace and displayed around the booth. The overall winner was to be announced at the show...and it was me. Overwhelmed is an understatement!

My image is:

db62.jpg

Southbourne, near Boscombe, this evening just before stormy weather.

As for the photo, I had in essence followed a storm from Southampton to Southbourne. Usually these break up across the Isle of Wight ensuring really interesting weather patterns from Southbourne. I arrived a little early and the impending stormy weather can be seen gathering on the extreme left. The good thing about Southbourne is that there are undulations at the shoreline in the sand between the sea groynes and these can produce absorbing sea trails. It was really a case of choosing one of these and ensuring a shutter speed of 0.6 to 2 seconds to produce a pleasing wave pattern.

Please also see: http://www.opoty.co.uk

Cheers

David

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c 11 4.6k 36 England
22 Jan 2013 11:07PM
Congratulations on the win.
BEVZED e2
7 1.1k United Kingdom
22 Jan 2013 11:41PM
Congratulations David Grin A beautiful capture
Keebsuk Junior Member 2 32 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2013 1:05AM
Thoroughly deserved winner, well done! Grin

Out of curiosity, what was the winning prize?

Andy
cats_123 e2
10 4.2k 25 Northern Ireland
23 Jan 2013 6:59AM
well done..must have been very exciting Grin
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2013 9:06AM
Excellent! Congratulations.
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
23 Jan 2013 9:09AM
Fantastic! And what a superb image.
Well done. Smile
x
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
23 Jan 2013 9:33AM
Very well done indeed.

Smile
teepee 11 745 England
23 Jan 2013 12:01PM
well done mate!
23 Jan 2013 6:30PM
Many thanks - much appreciated!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.