Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Outlook.com for hotmail users

JackAllTog e2
5 3.7k 58 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2012 9:49PM
If you are a hotmail user (recommended) and wish to upgrade to the new outlook.com format, its now available in the UK

For me this means online word/excel etc. But also photo folder sharing with potential cients etc.
Also looking to get a cool new email photo related email address something@outlook.com then maybe as its new its not yet been taken - add an alias.

http://outlook.com

Sorry, As a bit of i geek i like this kinda thing.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

redsnappa 12 1.9k United Kingdom
23 Aug 2012 10:10PM
The new outlook.com has been available for nearly three weeks now. I was lucky to get all the email aliases I wanted.
The good thing is if you are an existing hotmail user you can transfer to a xxx@outlook.com without losing all your old emails.
lobsterboy e2
10 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2012 10:26PM
I had a play when it first came out, it's very nicely done and a great looking system. I really like the new Microsoft graphical designs very clean and clear.
Good spam handling too.

Just trying to decide if I need another email...
Jestertheclown 6 6.4k 241 England
23 Aug 2012 10:33PM
I've always thought of Hotmail as being a kind of plaything for the under fives. A sort of 'your very first email address.'
Consequently, I've never taken it seriously. I have a few accounts (I have to, to use Skydrive) but I'd never really considered actually using one of them.
Perhaps I should look.
JackAllTog e2
5 3.7k 58 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2012 10:40PM

Quote:I've always thought of Hotmail as being a kind of plaything for the under fives. A sort of 'your very first email address.'
Consequently, I've never taken it seriously. I have a few accounts (I have to, to use Skydrive) but I'd never really considered actually using one of them.
Perhaps I should look.

Part of why i like it is its portability, not matter what company i work for or ISP i use i have the same email address. Its also integrated to my phone and loads of work registrations.
Yes i could rent my own domain name and its associated emails, but as i don't run my own business yet this seems a waste.
I too think sky drive is amazing. You could share targeted word order forms with your clients.
Jestertheclown 6 6.4k 241 England
23 Aug 2012 10:51PM
I've got my own domain name, mostly because I could rather than for any business purposes but it is useful insomuch as I can use it with any email supplier. I also wanted it for my website, of course.
Normally I use gmail via Thunderbird which gives me the flexibility you describe to pick up emails anywhere (via gmail) but I also use Thunderbird as a desktop app. All my email addresses and the families, including the hotmail ones are accessible from the one place.
I used to have gmail, using my own domain name integrated into my phone but I no longer have that phone (another story!)
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
23 Aug 2012 11:14PM

Quote:The good thing is if you are an existing hotmail user you can transfer to a xxx@outlook.com without losing all your old emails.

So if you have joe-bloggs@hotmail.co.uk (not hotmail.com) this can become joe-bloggs@outlook.com? Is that right?
23 Aug 2012 11:37PM
That's the process that is confusing me...I already have a hotmail.co.uk address, I go to Jack's outlook.com link above, and it suggests I already have an account and makes me log in under my existing hotmail address etc..and that's it...nothing new is created...??
Willpower 3 203 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2012 12:13AM

Quote:The good thing is if you are an existing hotmail user you can transfer to a xxx@outlook.com without losing all your old emails.

So if you have joe-bloggs@hotmail.co.uk (not hotmail.com) this can become joe-bloggs@outlook.com? Is that right?

I'm sorry, but what's the point ? ?
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
24 Aug 2012 12:25AM

Quote:I'm sorry, but what's the point ? ?

Because 'Hotmail' is considered naff and 'Outlook' is considered cool......................... apparently! Grin
redsnappa 12 1.9k United Kingdom
24 Aug 2012 7:49AM

Quote:So if you have joe-bloggs@hotmail.co.uk (not hotmail.com) this can become joe-bloggs@outlook.com? Is that right?
Yes it is. I forgot how I done mine, (It was three weeks ago). I think when you log into your hotmail there is an Outlook.com link.
Willpower 3 203 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2012 9:36AM

Quote:I'm sorry, but what's the point ? ?

Because 'Hotmail' is considered naff and 'Outlook' is considered cool......................... apparently! Grin

GrinGrin Who says Bill Gates ? ?

I shall have to tell my three Cousins aged 19, 22, 27 that they ( and I ) are not cool. I had nothing but trouble with Outlook in all its various iterations and got very exasperated with it. So I ditched it and now use Hotmail for all my personal and business usage. NEVER had any issue with it. Hey It's good to be naff ! ! ! GrinGrin
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
24 Aug 2012 11:05AM
I suspect both will come to be considered naff......... if they aren't already! Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.