Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Outside Concert

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Anthony
Anthony  125645 forum posts Scotland17 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2009 - 8:49 PM

Hi folks

Im looking for a little advice.

My dad has ever so kindly bought us 2 tickets to go and see Katherine Jenkins in concert in Delamere forest in June.

I have read the T and C's, it clearly says no Professional photography or audio visual equipment allowed. I understand and respect that.

But, how can I get some good pictures, for my own personal enjoyment, not for any commercial uses, with my digital SLR?

Am I best to write to them and explain the situation, and that I want to bring my SLR with no commercial intentions?

I could take the battery grip off the camera, and put a small lens on, making it look less "professional".

Am I better to get a decent compact for the concert?

Any other ideas? I really want to come away with some good images, its a great chance to shoot some good stuff.

Thank you in advance.

Anthony

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Feb 2009 - 8:49 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82275 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2009 - 9:50 PM

Hi Anthony - hows life in New Brighton?

I went to see Paul Weller a year or two ago at the same venue. Loads of folk there with point and shoots, but as soon as I got my SLR out of my bag I was visited by the security. I had to promise to put it away or face having it taken. I felt angry at the time, but I would not try the same thing again without seeking permission before hand. I did note that there was an official tog there.

Adam

Anthony
19 Feb 2009 - 10:19 PM

cheers Adam, thats kind of what I was afraid of. I have plenty of time to work something out, lol

Anthony

p.s. New Brighton is good thanks, just needs to warm up a little Smile

A

Goggz
Goggz e2 Member 72301 forum postsGoggz vcard Wales72 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2009 - 10:44 PM

Yeah, it's ludicrous isn't it.

We lug some heavy gear around and get jumped on, while the compact brigade have 12x or 18x zoom bridge cameras that can reveal the spots on her chin from a mile away {or thereabouts}.

There ain't no justice... all those jobsworths.

Anthony
19 Feb 2009 - 11:10 PM

Anyone got a good compact with a good zoom range I can borrow in June? Smile

Anthony

john64
john64 e2 Member 9824 forum postsjohn64 vcard England
20 Feb 2009 - 8:37 AM

Hi Anthony. Since you've got plenty of time, try dropping a note/e-mail to the organisers promoting the concert, outlining the fact that you're not doing it for commercial gain. If you get something back giving you permission, you can print it out and wave it in the face of anyone attempting to stop you taking pictures. I've managed to do this a couple of times.

John

Last Modified By john64 at 20 Feb 2009 - 8:37 AM
Anthony
20 Feb 2009 - 8:43 AM

Hi John

I was drafting an email last night, right along those lines. I will probably send it in the next few days, give the thread a wee bit longer to run and see if anyone has any other ideas.

Cheers for the input.

Anthony

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2009 - 8:43 AM

I'd second that. The main reason they prevent people taking photos with what look to be pro cameras is that they are concerned about merchandising. Write to them, if they say no you haven't lost anything and you can still resort to a point and shoot.

Ian

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82275 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2009 - 9:15 AM

Let us know how you get on Anthony.

A.

Anthony
20 Feb 2009 - 10:21 AM

will do, thanks Ian and Adam.

Anthony

Anthony
24 Feb 2009 - 6:37 PM

Hi guys

An update, I emailed the venue and asked if I can take my SLR with a basic lens, and if they had any objections. The reply is, er... interesting, if a little confusing.

Any want to translate this? lol

Anthony

Hi

Forestry Commission policy stresses professional cameras are prohibited, as you are aware. Although you state that that your photographs are for personal use only

I cannot guarantee that your cameras will not be temporarily confiscated by security on the night. This is based on the description given.

Regards

Chris

Geoffphoto
24 Feb 2009 - 6:41 PM

I'd take it as a No then ! Smile

conrad
conrad  910873 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
24 Feb 2009 - 6:44 PM

Quote: Any want to translate this

"We would be willing to grant your request, but we have no control whatsoever over our security personnel and they will regard every camera bigger than a camera phone as professional equipment and confiscate it."

User_Removed
24 Feb 2009 - 6:50 PM

Not really worth the risk and I think investing in a capable compact or bridge camera would be your best bet. I have to say I am on the side of the organisers. Imagine if you were shooting a wedding and another photographer turned up with "all the gear" and offered pics to all his mates in the wedding party. I'd be pretty miffed.

No matter what your guarantee is to them that they will only be for personal use, a cracking shot published on here and a subsequent sale might just be too tempting !.

Anthony
24 Feb 2009 - 6:50 PM

cool, thanks Geoff, and thanks Conrad, quite appropriate lol

Anthony

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.