Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Ozeck Super "Close Focusing" M42 legacy lens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • 1
    • »
    conrad
    conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Oct 2013 - 5:55 PM

    Does anyone know how literally "Close Focusing" should be taken? It's on the front of the lens, and both the eBay seller and I took it to mean this is a macro lens. But it doesn't focus as closely as a macro lens at all. Does anyone have any idea what else "close focusing" could mean?

    I picked it up on eBay for only 5 quid or so, not a great loss therefore if it isn't macro, but now that I find it doesn't focus as closely as I thought at all, I'm curious to find out what this mysterious claim on the front of the lens does mean.

    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Oct 2013 - 5:55 PM

    Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

    keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1022920 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna32 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Oct 2013 - 6:56 PM

    The 135mm is the most common find. Made in Japan by Ozone, they are about 2ft closest focus. If you've found another one, then I've no idea. The Ozunon brand was their most 'famous'

    conrad
    conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Oct 2013 - 8:07 PM

    Ah, yes, 2ft is about right. So it's called 'close focus' because it focuses closer than a regular lens of that focal length? Definitely not anything like a macro, though. That was the wrong description for the eBay listing.

    keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1022920 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna32 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Oct 2013 - 8:43 PM

    Yep, definitely not Macro. Your seller was led by the close focusing wording I assume.

    Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315238 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Oct 2013 - 8:56 PM


    Quote: Ah, yes, 2ft is about right. So it's called 'close focus' because it focuses closer than a regular lens of that focal length? Definitely not anything like a macro, though. That was the wrong description for the eBay listing.

    Yes that is it, close focusing but not macro close focusing.

    I have a close focusing vivitar series 1 200mm, its closest focusing distance must be something like 4 or 5 feet, not measured it though Smile

    ChiliMan
    ChiliMan e2 Member 8135 forum postsChiliMan vcard Singapore17 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Oct 2013 - 1:05 AM

    The problem is that the word 'macro' is now loosely used to mean close focusing or close-up. Macro is technically 1:1, if I'm not wrong. A macro lens will give you that. Close focusing may give you 2 feet instead of 5 feet for a 135mm...and the term 'close focusing' would be accurate there. But the term 'macro' wouldn't.

    The seller obviously used the word 'macro' the way most people do. Actually, some manual lenses did the same thing. I have an old Tokina 35-105 zoom with a 'macro' focusing ring on the barrel!

    Hope your lens delivers sharp pics anyway. If you wanna get closer with it, extension tubes will help. Even a slim 10mm one will get you way closer.

    Andrew

    Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315238 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Oct 2013 - 1:56 AM


    Quote: The seller obviously used the word 'macro' the way most people do. Actually, some manual lenses did the same thing. I have an old Tokina 35-105 zoom with a 'macro' focusing ring on the barrel!

    LOl I was trying to remember that name Tokina earlier, I had the very same 35-105 lens, but branded as Olympus, companies like Tokina produced a lot of lenses for the likes of Canon, Olympus and so on.

    I had a bag full of old Olympus Zooms that I got rid of a couple of years ago, I figured that they offered no more than modern zooms, though the primes are a different story and some are well worth keeping.

    ChiliMan
    ChiliMan e2 Member 8135 forum postsChiliMan vcard Singapore17 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Oct 2013 - 9:37 AM


    Quote: LOl I was trying to remember that name Tokina earlier, I had the very same 35-105 lens, but branded as Olympus, companies like Tokina produced a lot of lenses for the likes of Canon, Olympus and so on.

    I had a bag full of old Olympus Zooms that I got rid of a couple of years ago, I figured that they offered no more than modern zooms, though the primes are a different story and some are well worth keeping.

    Interesting you mentioned Olympus 'cos the Tokina lens was attached to my dad's old OM20 Grin

    conrad
    conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Oct 2013 - 10:31 AM


    Quote: If you wanna get closer with it, extension tubes will help.

    Yes, I'm trying that next, there were some tubes among my brother's attic finds, and I'll definitely give them a go.

    Thanks for all the input, everyone!

    ChiliMan
    ChiliMan e2 Member 8135 forum postsChiliMan vcard Singapore17 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Oct 2013 - 2:34 PM

    All the best with the lens. Always exciting with a new one Smile

    Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315238 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Oct 2013 - 3:24 PM


    Quote: Yes, I'm trying that next, there were some tubes among my brother's attic finds, and I'll definitely give them a go

    I had an old crappy x2 converter, removing the glass elements made it into a very usable extension tube Smile


    Quote: Interesting you mentioned Olympus 'cos the Tokina lens was attached to my dad's old OM20

    Smile

    If you have an old Olympus T20 or T32 (flash) hang on to it.

    They use low trigger voltages (aprox 6v) and are perfectly fine with modern digital camera`s, they really nice as well used with my CSC`s.

    ChiliMan
    ChiliMan e2 Member 8135 forum postsChiliMan vcard Singapore17 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Oct 2013 - 6:41 AM


    Quote: If you have an old Olympus T20 or T32 (flash) hang on to it.

    They use low trigger voltages (aprox 6v) and are perfectly fine with modern digital camera`s, they really nice as well used with my CSC`s.

    Hmm...I never ever thought of using an old flash with my CSC. I've always used the clip-on which came with the E-PL3 'cos I hardly use flash. But I should give the old flash a whirl. My dad's old Soltron. Interesting to see how it fares with the Pen Smile

    Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315238 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Oct 2013 - 6:35 PM


    Quote: My dad's old Soltron. Interesting to see how it fares with the Pen

    I don`t know that unit, but be careful if you want to attach old units, many will have very high trigger voltages and can damage your camera, if in doubt don`t use.

    ChiliMan
    ChiliMan e2 Member 8135 forum postsChiliMan vcard Singapore17 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Oct 2013 - 9:52 AM


    Quote: My dad's old Soltron. Interesting to see how it fares with the Pen

    I don`t know that unit, but be careful if you want to attach old units, many will have very high trigger voltages and can damage your camera, if in doubt don`t use.

    Ooo...thanks for the heads-up, Paul!! Sheesh...close shave there. The Soltron uses 4 AAs and it packs a punch from what I remember. Anywho, the little clip-on flash is fine for my needs so no need for me to consider owt else. I was just overcome by itchy fingers...which are definitely itchy no more!

    Grin

    Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315238 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Oct 2013 - 7:10 PM

    Yes you need to be careful with old units.

    • «
    • 1
    • »

    Add a Comment

    You must be a member to leave a comment

    Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.