Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Get on1's Perfect Effects 9.5 for FREE! (£48 value)

Painting with Light

devlin 4 652 39 India
25 Oct 2010 8:33PM
Have been trying to do this for the last couple of days without much success i might add..Sad..Process followed:-

Set camera on Tripod
Set focus (havent got around to composition yet since this is an attempt to experiment the technique in itself)
Set camera to long exposure (15,20,25, 30) and narrow aperture
Create dark room effect
Paint object using an LED torch

Here's what iam getting
-mg-0171.jpg

Of course needless to say iam not getting anywhere..info on the web seems sketchy at best..anyone with any experience or ideas on how to pull this off ??

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
25 Oct 2010 8:46PM
You need to move the torch around much slower is my guess....!

Or maybe a wider aperture....!

Or maybe a higher ( more sensitive ISO )....!

Or maybe a brighter torch....!

Its one of those techniques that only experimentation will reveal, Because there are so many variables.....!

Not much help eh!

Wink
devlin 4 652 39 India
25 Oct 2010 9:05PM
Thanks Vince..have tried the ISO will give the aperture and slow treatment a shot Smile failing which i guess ill keep experimenting as you say hopefully something will give....
Coleslaw 9 13.4k 28 Wales
25 Oct 2010 9:15PM
Sorry, but are you trying to light it with torch, or are you trying to have light trail around it?
devlin 4 652 39 India
25 Oct 2010 9:17PM
The light trail..basically trying to paint the outlines...
25 Oct 2010 9:18PM
Did you point the torch towards the camera?
devlin 4 652 39 India
25 Oct 2010 9:22PM
No tried painting the outlines with the torch from a position behind the camera...
25 Oct 2010 9:24PM
To have light trail, the torch needs to be pointed toward the camera.
What you were doing was just lighting the outline of your subject with torch, which is why the outline is brighter than the subject itself.

Correct me if I am wrong
Nick_w 7 4.1k 99 England
25 Oct 2010 9:25PM
The other factor is how far from the subject was the light. Remember light power observes the inverse square law.

So 2 meters away is 1/4 the light strength of 1 meter away . Three metres away is 1/9the power (ie 3 squared)
25 Oct 2010 9:26PM
Did you just go around it once? Is this the sort of trail you're after?
keithh Plus
11 23.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
25 Oct 2010 9:29PM
Yep - just a case of not enough light (LED is deceivingly rubbish) and for not long enough.
lawbert 8 1.8k 15 England
25 Oct 2010 9:35PM
bottle-pink.jpg

I cant find my original at the min just this toy about with photoshop but the principal is the same.

Tripod...manual focus..about f8...and a shutter of a couple of seconds....iso 100......and the trick is a small Maglite with the reflector removed so you have just a bare bulb.
devlin 4 652 39 India
25 Oct 2010 9:37PM

Quote:Did you just go around it once? Is this the sort of trail you're after?

Yes i did initially but then tried continuous motion as well with mostly similar results.Yes something on those lines...

Quote:Yep - just a case of not enough light (LED is deceivingly rubbish) and for not long enough.

Would a mag lite do the trick ?

Quote:To have light trail, the torch needs to be pointed toward the camera.

Would that mean then that i need to be in front of the camera, with the object between me and the camera ?

Quote:The other factor is how far from the subject was the light. Remember light power observes the inverse square law.

Thanks Nick ill remember that
devlin 4 652 39 India
25 Oct 2010 9:41PM

Quote:Tripod...manual focus..about f8...and a shutter of a couple of seconds....iso 100......and the trick is a small Maglite with the reflector removed so you have just a bare bulb.

Thanks Paul, iam still a bit confused as to the position from which to paint the object...
kitz 8 99
25 Oct 2010 10:05PM
If you're trying to outline the frame, try with the base of the torch against the frame with the bulb towards the camera and slowly follow the edge of the frame around.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.