Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Painting with Light

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

devlin
devlin  4651 forum posts India39 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2010 - 8:33 PM

Have been trying to do this for the last couple of days without much success i might add..Sad..Process followed:-

Set camera on Tripod
Set focus (havent got around to composition yet since this is an attempt to experiment the technique in itself)
Set camera to long exposure (15,20,25, 30) and narrow aperture
Create dark room effect
Paint object using an LED torch

Here's what iam getting
-mg-0171.jpg

Of course needless to say iam not getting anywhere..info on the web seems sketchy at best..anyone with any experience or ideas on how to pull this off ??

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Oct 2010 - 8:33 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2010 - 8:46 PM

You need to move the torch around much slower is my guess....!

Or maybe a wider aperture....!

Or maybe a higher ( more sensitive ISO )....!

Or maybe a brighter torch....!

Its one of those techniques that only experimentation will reveal, Because there are so many variables.....!

Not much help eh!

Wink

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
devlin
25 Oct 2010 - 9:05 PM

Thanks Vince..have tried the ISO will give the aperture and slow treatment a shot Smile failing which i guess ill keep experimenting as you say hopefully something will give....

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2010 - 9:15 PM

Sorry, but are you trying to light it with torch, or are you trying to have light trail around it?

devlin
25 Oct 2010 - 9:17 PM

The light trail..basically trying to paint the outlines...

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2010 - 9:18 PM

Did you point the torch towards the camera?

devlin
25 Oct 2010 - 9:22 PM

No tried painting the outlines with the torch from a position behind the camera...

Coleslaw
25 Oct 2010 - 9:24 PM

To have light trail, the torch needs to be pointed toward the camera.
What you were doing was just lighting the outline of your subject with torch, which is why the outline is brighter than the subject itself.

Correct me if I am wrong

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 25 Oct 2010 - 9:27 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73866 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2010 - 9:25 PM

The other factor is how far from the subject was the light. Remember light power observes the inverse square law.

So 2 meters away is 1/4 the light strength of 1 meter away . Three metres away is 1/9the power (ie 3 squared)

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012603 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2010 - 9:26 PM

Did you just go around it once? Is this the sort of trail you're after?

Last Modified By answersonapostcard at 25 Oct 2010 - 9:30 PM
keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023012 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2010 - 9:29 PM

Yep - just a case of not enough light (LED is deceivingly rubbish) and for not long enough.

lawbert
lawbert  71713 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2010 - 9:35 PM

bottle-pink.jpg

I cant find my original at the min just this toy about with photoshop but the principal is the same.

Tripod...manual focus..about f8...and a shutter of a couple of seconds....iso 100......and the trick is a small Maglite with the reflector removed so you have just a bare bulb.

devlin
25 Oct 2010 - 9:37 PM

Quote: Did you just go around it once? Is this the sort of trail you're after?

Yes i did initially but then tried continuous motion as well with mostly similar results.Yes something on those lines...

Quote: Yep - just a case of not enough light (LED is deceivingly rubbish) and for not long enough.

Would a mag lite do the trick ?

Quote: To have light trail, the torch needs to be pointed toward the camera.

Would that mean then that i need to be in front of the camera, with the object between me and the camera ?

Quote: The other factor is how far from the subject was the light. Remember light power observes the inverse square law.

Thanks Nick ill remember that

devlin
25 Oct 2010 - 9:41 PM

Quote: Tripod...manual focus..about f8...and a shutter of a couple of seconds....iso 100......and the trick is a small Maglite with the reflector removed so you have just a bare bulb.

Thanks Paul, iam still a bit confused as to the position from which to paint the object...

kitz
kitz  881 forum posts
25 Oct 2010 - 10:05 PM

If you're trying to outline the frame, try with the base of the torch against the frame with the bulb towards the camera and slowly follow the edge of the frame around.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.