Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Paintings or Photoshopped photos?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    mjsayles
    mjsayles  81019 forum posts
    11 Dec 2012 - 6:37 PM

I was thinking of getting my dad a painting (print, not original - I'm not that flush!) of a mountain scene for Xmas, and after a bit of googling I found this site:

http://www.jamiehageman.com/

The issue I have is that, to me, these look very much like photos that have been put through photoshop. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but I want to buy my dad a painting. I could do him a print of a photo, but he likes paintings, so I'd want to get him a painting. Nowhere on the site (that I could see) does he say that he makes the images from photos - he simply describes himself as a painter. I will ultimately email him to ask, but I realise that it might seem quite rude to do so, so I wanted to gauge other people's opinions first.

So, do you think they are prints of paintings, or are they prints of photos that have been run through photoshop?

By the way, I don't know the guy at all, so this is neither a sly promotion or an obvious dig!

Cheers,

Michael

Last Modified By mjsayles at 11 Dec 2012 - 7:02 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    11 Dec 2012 - 6:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Dec 2012 - 7:06 PM

Why not e-mail him and ask the question, what's the point of seeking our uninformed opinions when you have already said you will
    Quote: ultimately email him to ask

?

Last Modified By brian1208 at 11 Dec 2012 - 7:08 PM
    whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Dec 2012 - 7:13 PM

Have you Googled him? I just have and he's a painter, I would assume he works from photographic images as setting up and painting in the mountains would be a little uncomfortable. His style is obviously realism. There are some stunning works of his around.

JohnParminter
    11 Dec 2012 - 7:41 PM

This is Jamie in the red jacket, we bumped into each other on the Devils' Ridge last weekend just after sunrise. I was getting my pictures for my book and he was taking pictures of potential scenes to paint.

I've spoken to him since we met but haven't discussed how he paints but he is approachable if you would like to phone him.

JP

ianrobinson
    ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Dec 2012 - 7:54 PM

all I can say is WOW, an amazing artist, wonder how long it takes to paint such wonderful scenes to such a real look.

Robert_Malcolm
    11 Dec 2012 - 8:27 PM

Interesting thread. While paintings are still valued because not many people can paint (especially at this level) photography largely isn't because 'anyone can take a picture', dontcha think?

Rawmazz
    Rawmazz  141 forum posts United Kingdom
    11 Dec 2012 - 8:31 PM

I looked at his site and he does give a description of the materials used eg http://www.jamiehageman.com/page6.htm (acrylic on composite). If you look closely at the sky you can see the streaked acrylic. I think the photographic look comes from the fact that he photographs his work in order to upload it to his site, common practice with artists. I like his work,pretty amazing stuff Smile

JohnParminter
    11 Dec 2012 - 8:46 PM

Quote: I will ultimately email him to ask, but I realise that it might seem quite rude to do so, so I wanted to gauge other people's opinions first.

Michael, I think Jamie gets asked this a lot because of the nature of his art. There isn't really any point in us giving our opinions to be honest. I'm sure you will not appear rude asking him directly, use the number on his contact page. You will only be able to decide yourself from firsthand information.

This thread could go off track with all sorts of views and opinions without Jamie able to answer.

JP

joolsb
    joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Dec 2012 - 1:01 PM

This is at the bottom of the linked page:

Quote: Jamie Hageman "has emerged from the mountains of Glencoe as an astounding self-taught painter of hyper-realist landscapes after being shortlisted for the
    Jolomo Landscape Painting Awards"

At web-size it's hard to distinguish his work from a photograph but at full-size it's probably a lot easier.

Can't say it does much for me, though.

NikLG
    NikLG  91736 forum posts England
    12 Dec 2012 - 1:13 PM

There's no doubt that they are paintings, you can see that from looking at his gallery images.

p12owe
    p12owe  1101 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Dec 2012 - 8:43 PM

This style of painting has been very popular with some American artists for years. I believe they call it "photo-realism" It is often popular amongst painters using acrylics, although there are some very accomplished artists that use oils. I did try this myself several years ago, but found that I had neither the patience or skill to painstakingly create work that I felt happy with and quickly returned to my watercolours. It is not a style of art that suits everyone, one often buys a painting because it is not so tightly constrained in it's technique. That said, the skill of this particular artist clearly puts him at the very top of his game in this field.
    If you were to ask your question to him directly I should phrase it very carefully, as it could be interpreted either as high praise or an insult!

mjsayles
    mjsayles  81019 forum posts
    12 Dec 2012 - 10:46 PM

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses! As I said, I will ask, but I didn't want to sound like I was being rude so thought I'd gauge some opinions first!

I think part of my 'doubt' was that they're so blooming good!

Thanks again,

Michael

Fishnet
    Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Dec 2012 - 3:59 PM

I wouldn't bother asking him, they ARE paintings, end of.

I've seen pencil drawings that were so hyper-real that I couldn't tell if they were black and white photos or not, but they were drawings, some peole just have exceptional talent.

Personally I don't like hyper-real art, I don't see the point in it, might as well just take a photo, but that's just my personal taste.

iancrowson
    iancrowson e2 Member 4211 forum postsiancrowson vcard United Kingdom128 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Dec 2012 - 11:13 PM

Does your Dad like paintings that look like photos must be the big question.? Looking at them on line they might as well be photos but as the creator is successful there must be plenty of people who like them.
    Ian

boony
    boony  7978 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Dec 2012 - 7:27 AM

Amazing work, thanks for sharing that it's good to see art of that kind of level still being produced.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.