Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Paintshop or Photoshop

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Mounters
Mounters  784 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
24 Dec 2006 - 11:59 AM

As recent convert to DSLR I am on a very steep learning curve. I have a copy of Paintshop which seems to do most things but the software of choice on EPZ appears to be Photoshop. Which way should I go?

Thanks for your help Merry Christmas and a snappy new year!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Dec 2006 - 11:59 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

trivets12
trivets12  101155 forum posts
24 Dec 2006 - 12:03 PM

Hi Mounters,
Photoshop Elements 5 is now out and I think you will find it more than adequate for your needs. There is a tendency to think of Photoshop Elements as a watered down version of Photoshop which, I suppose it is, but if you look at www.photoshopelementsuser.com you will see that this programme is capable of amazing stuff!
Nip down to PC World or whatever, and buy it then you can play with it all over Christmas!
Have fun,
Trudy

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
24 Dec 2006 - 12:04 PM

It's a lot like cameras. If you are using one and happy stick with it. everything has plus and minus.

I have Photoshop elements and use it with C1 LE and some power tools to do all I want. But plenty use the tool you mention. The only limitation I know of PSP is its colour management capabilities, oh and the fact it is not photoshop.

So if you are happy stick with it.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
24 Dec 2006 - 12:08 PM

If you are happy the PSP does everything you want it to, stick with it. I have used it for many years, and prefer it to PSE.

If you want to compare them, then down load the 30 day trial, before you splash any cash.

samfurlong
24 Dec 2006 - 1:48 PM

As has been said, if you don't find that PDP is limiting you then stay with it.

However, there is a reason why photoshop is the industry standard image editing program. It's the best, pure and simple.

Personally, having used photoshop since version 3, I find PSP incredibly limiting and badly designed - can't stand it.
Someone gave me a free copy of ver 8 a while back, I installed it, used for about 3 mins then got rid of it again.

Photoshop can be hard to learn but there is an alternative - photoshop elements. It has most of the key features of full photoshop, is a bit easier to use and costs about a fifth of what photoshop does.
It's good if only to serve as a stepping stone to photoshop, get used to the basics of it and the interface before going on to photoshop later on.

pamelajean
pamelajean Critique Team 8769 forum postspamelajean vcard United Kingdom1599 Constructive Critique Points
24 Dec 2006 - 2:40 PM

I have always been happy with PSP and, although I can see that many members use Photoshop, I haven't yet been tempted to change.
However, I anticipate developing more PSP skills next year, and may then find it limiting, but having not used Photoshop at all, I have nothing to compare it with.

backlash
backlash  7 United Kingdom
24 Dec 2006 - 3:31 PM

Its nice to see that Elements is starting to catch up with PSP. The straighten function is a nice new addition to Elements 5 but still not as good as PSP's. But its the same with all similar software, one is good for this and the other for that. I suppose its a bit like designer clothes, some just have to have "The Name" brand and use its name like a badge despite the fact that it's uncomfortable to wear and will loose its style in the wash. Myself, I have both on the go because neither is the full answer.

tepot
tepot  104416 forum posts United Kingdom
24 Dec 2006 - 5:07 PM

Quote: some just have to have "The Name" brand and use its name like a badge

Thats how some folk are with lenses, Some third party lenses are just as good as a "brand name" to all intents and purposes for example.

tepot
24 Dec 2006 - 5:09 PM

i use psp7 and elements 2, they provide me with all i need, i don't feel photoshop is worth all that cash just for mere amateurs like meself.

p.s oh and rawshooter of course.

nikon5700ite
24 Dec 2006 - 8:11 PM

The reason that PS is Industry standard is becuase it was first on the market and that doesn't make it the best by a long shot. It is handicapped by the format that it started with and I wouldn't be suprised if it dies away and Elements is developed up to replace it as a more freindly programme to work with ... the advantage that the newer programmes have over PS.

culturedcanvas
24 Dec 2006 - 8:15 PM

Quote: The reason that PS is Industry standard is becuase it was first on the market and that doesn't make it the best by a long shot.

Nope .. it's industry standard because its simply better. However it is a lot more involved in terms of learning to use it effectively.

Dan

tepot
24 Dec 2006 - 8:30 PM

photoshop offers way more than most of us will ever need, save your get a cheaper package and spend the cash saved on a new chunk of glass.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023041 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
24 Dec 2006 - 8:34 PM

Quote: It is handicapped by the format that it started with and I wouldn't be suprised if it dies away and Elements is developed up to replace it as a more freindly programme to work with ... the advantage that the newer programmes have over PS

Hey it's chrimbo and I'vbe drunk half a bottle of southern but that passage of text is the daftest thing I've read all year

oh...and PS wasn't the first and I've been using it since version 1 and I used three Beta's before that.

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
24 Dec 2006 - 8:37 PM

By all means use PSP, but it is by no means the best. And its interface is not better it is just different. As a challenge let me know when you find the colour management feature.

It is an entry level package, just like Photoshop Elements.

Oh and the format has changed twice that I know of. So I am struggling with the handicap bit.

bricurtis
bricurtis e2 Member 91904 forum postsbricurtis vcard England48 Constructive Critique Points
24 Dec 2006 - 8:40 PM

I have always alternated between PSP8 and Elements 2 depending on which function I found best to use from these.
I had Elements 5 as a present when it came out and I must say it is quite a comprehensive package and offers many functions.
From your original question I think your answer could possibly be Elements 5 for your needs.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.