Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Panamz - is this retailer OK

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
LynneJoyce
LynneJoyce e2 Member 5LynneJoyce vcard United Kingdom96 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2014 - 4:20 PM

I am interested in buying a Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Wide Zoom Lens and found this ridiculously cheap price here -

http://panamoz.com/index.php/canon-ef-8-15mm-f-4l-fisheye-usm-wide-zoom-dslr-len...

Does anyone have any experience of this retailer? Are they legit?

Lynne Joyce

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Jan 2014 - 4:20 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LynneJoyce
LynneJoyce e2 Member 5LynneJoyce vcard United Kingdom96 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2014 - 4:58 PM

Where do I find the thread?

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 33364 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway22 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2014 - 5:20 PM

Quote: Where do I find the thread?

Keith's answer is in blue text indicating that it is a link, Lynne.
Hold your cursor over the text and you will see it is underlined. Click and it will open in another page.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62359 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
2 Jan 2014 - 8:21 PM

Common sense on looking at their web site detail indicates wise people would not go near them Sad
Under "contact us" (bottom of web page) there is no physical address or phone number - you email them and trust you will get a reply.
While there is a UK phone number with modern technology this is not necessarily answered from the UK.
As the union jack became copyright free before the copyright concept existed, putting a union jack symbol next to the phone number is of no more legal value than someone from USA waiving a union jack outside Buckingham Palace.
The "terms and conditions" say you agree to Hong Kong jurisdiction - strongly indicating they are a Hong Kong company and the purchase is not regarded by them as made within the EEC.
If you know how to you can find out where the web site is registered for free.
The "free" UK warranty appears to be from a company who do not put their address on their web site, do not guarantee that firmware can be updated, and give you no automatic right to a refund if there is a problem.
There is a claim on the web site duties etc are paid by some-one who does not tell you their address, but no mention of a VAT registration number or VAT invoice.
If you do not get a VAT invoice from an EEC member state you are required by UK law to contact Customs and Excise and to pay the 20% UK VAT on a camera body.

chrisheathcote
chrisheathcote e2 Member 7237 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
2 Jan 2014 - 8:25 PM

I've used them twice now and both times had excellent service. In depth tracking data available on all deliveries. It's worth bearing in mind that the warranty isn't with Canon but provided by Panamoz, however I believe they have an agreement with a UK based repairer so the lens wouldn't need to go back to HK.

dougv
dougv Site Moderator 108357 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2014 - 8:32 PM

I did find an UK (Office) address for them in FAQ's

5. What is your address?

Our Hong Kong Headquarter Office Address:
Panamoz Electronics
35/F Central Plaza, 18 Harbour Road,
Wanchai
Hong Kong

Our UK Office Address:
Panamoz Electronics
3rd Floor, Queensbury House, 106 Queens Road,
Brighton, BN1 3XF
United Kingdom

Probably rented office space at some sort of Business Centre.

Also interesting to note that the 14 day money back guarantee will cost you a 20 Shipping/Handling charge and a 20% re-stock fee.

I'd just go to Warehouse Express if it were me...

LynneJoyce
2 Jan 2014 - 8:53 PM

Thanks guys.

sitan1
sitan1  5428 forum posts United Kingdom
3 Jan 2014 - 12:52 AM

To check out websites I use this site, all you do is copy and paste the website in question into the scam advisors search bar and it should come back with a result history of the site.
scam advisor link

hope this helps a little

LynneJoyce
3 Jan 2014 - 7:14 AM

Thanks sitan1, I'll try that.

puertouk
puertouk  21010 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jan 2014 - 10:28 AM

Quote: There is a claim on the web site duties etc are paid by some-one who does not tell you their address, but no mention of a VAT registration number or VAT invoice.

I purchased a Sekonic light meter from them and had to pay IGIC (VAT) here in Tenerife. I informed them by email and within 24 hours, the money hit my bank. Don't slate companies that you have not dealt with. You can purchase through Panamoz without any fear. Also, don't the manufacturers cover lenses wherever they are purchased?
Stephen

keithh
keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jan 2014 - 12:55 PM

Nobody is 'slating' anything. They are advising the OP to be cautious before she hands out 800.

LynneJoyce
3 Jan 2014 - 4:21 PM

Tut tut guys, no arguments, we can agree to differ and have different opinions.

I am finding this thread incredibly useful and I thank you all for that. I can feel my purse twitching and think that I might just take the risk.

LynneJoyce
21 Jan 2014 - 10:30 PM

Feedback - I purchased the lens from Panamoz. The service was 1st class and delivery on schedule. I will certainly buy from them again.

JimL
JimL e2 Member 777 forum postsJimL vcard United Kingdom
22 Jan 2014 - 5:04 PM

just dealt with Panamoz. will deal with them again. no problems

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.