Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Panasonic DMC-LX5 electronic viewfinder query

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    hobbo
    hobbo e2 Member 3800 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Feb 2012 - 6:57 PM

Hi, folks.

I have a 50 gift voucher waiting to be spent at Amazon:

I have a beautiful little Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 compact camera, I note that there is an electronic viewfinder available as an accessory; it fits on and is powered via the flash shoe.

Is it worth me putting the other circa 90 with my voucher to get one?

Does anyone use one already? Was it worth it?.....or.........should I use the gift voucher for something else?

Any advice very welcome

Hobbo

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    23 Feb 2012 - 6:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41208 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Feb 2012 - 7:01 PM

Depends if you like viewfinders or are prepared to hold the camera out front and look at the screen (which might be hard in bright light).

Personally, I prefer a viewfinder. It makes me feel more involved with the taking process, funny as it might sound!

Nick

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315469 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Feb 2012 - 7:06 PM

What would 90 quid get you these days ?

The viewfinders a worth while investment that will also fit a few Panasonic M4/3 camera`s as well.

User_Removed
    23 Feb 2012 - 7:16 PM

I just got a VF-2 EVF for my Olympus PEN and am hugely impressed with it. 140 does seem a lot for an optional extra that should have been part of the original package but, if like me, you detest using a rear LCD for framing and composing, then it is money well spent.

If the Panasonic model is as good as the Olympus one, then you will find that the viewfinder image is much brighter than a dSLR optical viewfinder but there is a very small time lapse when you move it over a scene.

lemmy
    lemmy  71896 forum posts United Kingdom
    23 Feb 2012 - 7:17 PM

I would definitely try it for yourself first. If it is the LVF-1 it has 640x480 resolution.

I had one and it is....OK....The resolution is very low and it is really only good for seeing what your lens is including. Focusing is impractical. It is quite crude, actually.

My personal view is that it isn't worth the money. I'd re-iterate, try one before spending so much money. I use an EVF all the time on my G3 and GH2 Panasonics, it's just that the LVF-1 seems to come from an earlier age.

GlennH
    GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Feb 2012 - 7:21 AM

Quote: I would definitely try it for yourself first. If it is the LVF-1 it has 640x480 resolution.

That'd be quite high - the same VGA resolution that's on the back of the 7D, for instance. Most manufacturers, including Panasonic, give resolutions in dots, presumably because the numbers are bigger than in pixels.

hobbo
    hobbo e2 Member 3800 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Feb 2012 - 8:52 AM

Thank you folks............just the kind feedback I required............I will save my money towards an iPhone instead I think Wink

Hobbo

seahawk
    seahawk e2 Member 7565 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
    24 Feb 2012 - 9:27 AM

I have an LX5 as my pocket camera - never felt the urge to get an EVF, I manage quite well with the screen. An EVF would prevent it remaining a pocket camera!
    I think the iPhone is a wise decision.

lemmy
    lemmy  71896 forum posts United Kingdom
    24 Feb 2012 - 12:33 PM

Quote: That'd be quite high - the same VGA resolution that's on the back of the 7D, for instance.

Yes, my mistake. I was looking at my Olympus VF3 which is pretty good at 640x480, 921,600 dots . (The GH2 EVF is 852x600 (1,533,600 dots) and vastly better to use compared to the 640x480 Olympus, though not removable, of course).

The Panasonic EVF is 202,000 dots equivalent which would seem to be something like 320x240px. Like I say, it's ok regarded as a device for framing your shot but it lacks detail for really seeing what you are getting. I'm surprised Panasonic haven't upgraded it by now.

What I like about EVFs is the steadier hold it gives me on the camera, tucked into your cheek with elbows braced against your torso. Each top their own, though and the EVF certainly limts the pocketability of a camera like the LX.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.