Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Panasonic External Flash?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Chris_L
Chris_L e2 Member 937 forum postsChris_L vcard United Kingdom
28 Aug 2014 - 4:13 PM

Struggling to use GX7 with a Yongnuo plus triggers in manual mode. Attached directly to the camera I can select Manual or TTL, use RF-603 and can only select TTL - which is baffling as those triggers don't pass TTL info and why can't I select manual mode anyway?

Rather than go round in circles with Yongnuo I wondered about recommends for OEM systems? Are flash units compatible across m43 brands. Thought I'd ask here before going round in a Google circle.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Aug 2014 - 4:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315396 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2014 - 4:50 PM

I believe you might have to allow flash in the menu, its been a while since I fiddled with a Panasonic for flash.

The TTL system is the same for both Panasonic and Olympus.

How much are you looking at spending

Will you be needing wireless flash TTL capabilities, if not you can save a packet on second hand none RC units.

Is the flash wanted for shoe only connection, if this is the case then you will be wanting something pretty small.

If you have a spare Canon TTL lead you can use this with your Panasonic camera and still get TTL of camera flash (this could save you a few quid).

I use a mixture of FL50`s, FL50R`s but 99% of the time I will more than likely use my Yongnuo 560 MK2`s.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 28 Aug 2014 - 4:53 PM
mikehit
mikehit  56486 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2014 - 4:53 PM

Quote: The original RF-603 would not fire at all unless attached to a Canon or Nikon camera with full TTL contacts on the hotshoe. The RF-603 II will now work on most cameras provided they have a standard (non Sony) style hotshoe.

http://flashhavoc.com/yongnuo-rf-603-ii-released/

EDITED TO ADD: I have used RF602 on E-M5 with no problem and so assume this is because it used only the main firing connection

Last Modified By mikehit at 28 Aug 2014 - 4:55 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315396 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2014 - 4:59 PM

These cheap triggers work every bit as well and the sets are cheaper than the 602`s.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/XCSOURCE-Channel-Wireless-Trigger-Receiver/dp/B009WKROPS...

mikehit
28 Aug 2014 - 5:21 PM

The customer comments about durability don't look too inviting.

Paul Morgan
28 Aug 2014 - 5:26 PM

I go through loads, I`m forever loosing the things, so the cheaper the better, as for durability there just fine for the average user.

Chris_L
28 Aug 2014 - 6:22 PM

Paul, I definitely want off camera wireless. I don't want to buy any more triggers if I can avoid it. The GX7 seems as if it may have wireless flash control built in?

So the RF-602 won't work, I had tried taping up pins, thanks Mike.

Need to research it a bit

Paul Morgan
28 Aug 2014 - 6:33 PM

Off camera then the size of the unit will not matter.

Have you ever used London Camera exchange, they get second hand FL50R`s in for 200 quid or less, its just about the best unit you could get for M4/3.

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Secondhand-Search/?Order=Latest&View=Grid&SHMa...

But remember RC flash control is line of site only and it is as good as useless out doors.

Damian McGillicuddy demonstrates the FL50R`s here.

The Fl600 is a popular unit but a lot of people find the blinking light in RC annoying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wmDBXyf3PM

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 28 Aug 2014 - 6:45 PM
mikehit
28 Aug 2014 - 6:39 PM

My Yongnuo set up is the 602 flash receivers with the 600TX transmitter.
On the E-M5 everything works fine witht he transmitter sitting fully in the hotshoe. But on the GX7 the front edge of the bodywork runs across the front of the hotshoe and this seems to be stopping the transmitter from sitting fully in the hotshoe and Ipresume the pin connections aren't made between transmitter and camera to fire the flash.

Seems odd....

Paul Morgan
28 Aug 2014 - 6:46 PM

Sand paper ? Smile

mikehit
28 Aug 2014 - 6:48 PM

Just give me a moment...

Chris_L
28 Aug 2014 - 7:00 PM

It's quite bizarre Mike, I can attach a much bigger Yongnuo YN 622-C and get it to communicate with the other one. They are intended for Canon E-TTL though so it's pointless.

Found one of David's videos where he's using a Metz. I really wish I could afford a new non-Yongnuo flash from a major manufacturer.

I'm mega frustrated, I just wanted some off-camera fill flash while I shoot some stuff to put on ebay - stuff I need to sell to help me fund my mirrorless adventure.

My barely used Yongnuo 568 EX TTL has some kind of fault, regardless of mode or power setting every flash is full power, whether on triggers or on-camera, regardless of Canon body on Panasonic body.

My older Yongnuo 460 works on camera fine (manual) but won't fire with any of my trigger systems using the Gx7.

I thought about getting my D Lites out but I don't think I'll be able to trigger them with the Gx7 due to 602 issues. Sad

I want to buy something bloody reliable.

mikehit
28 Aug 2014 - 7:25 PM

I can fit the actual Yongnuo flash, but the goot on the radio transmitter is too big. If it is for indoor work you can set the Yonguo as an optical slave as a last resort and use the on-camera flash to trigger it (on the 7D it is possible to deflect the light away from the subject so it does not affect iullumination of the subject).

I have been playing with the wireless settings in the GX7 menu but it seems from the manual that inbuilt radio trigger it only works with flashes that have inbuilt receiver and not the RF602 type (and even then mabe only Panasonic flahs units).

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Paul Morgan
28 Aug 2014 - 7:26 PM

Metz make a very basic TTL unit that sells for about 50 quid.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metz-24-AF1-Digital-Flashgun-Panasonic/dp/B00456V8ME/ref...

I can fit the actual Yongnuo flash, but the goot on the radio transmitter is too big. If it is for indoor work you can set the Yonguo as an optical slave as a last resort and use the on-camera flash to trigger it (on the 7D it is possible to deflect the light away from the subject so it does not affect iullumination of the subject).

Set to mode two it works great with TTL.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 28 Aug 2014 - 7:32 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Chris_L
28 Aug 2014 - 8:37 PM

Quote: seems from the manual that inbuilt radio trigger it only works with flashes that have inbuilt receiver

I find it really interesting that it has that function. If it means it's possible to buy a quality flash and means that I never have to attach anything at all to the camera when I want to use it I'd love that.

I like the idea of doing away with third party clutter and keeping the kit as minimalist as possible.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.