Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Panasonic External Flash?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Chris_L
Chris_L e2 Member 1255 forum postsChris_L vcard United Kingdom
28 Aug 2014 - 8:53 PM

This flash, with the interesting soft led, has GH3 compatibility. I just read that GX7 and GH3 have same flash system. Then on this page http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/gx7.html there's a compatibility chart which suggests the wireless will work in the way one would expect. Wonder if Metz or other brand work in the same way. In David (Lemmy)'s video with the Metz something had to be placed over the camera's own flash which I didn't really understand.

28-08-2014-20-46-38.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Aug 2014 - 8:53 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chris_L
28 Aug 2014 - 9:11 PM

Okay it seems that the DMW-FL580L is top dog and sells for around 430, the less powerful (medium power) DMW-FL360L (which I fancy getting when funds allow) is around 230. Both are GX7 compatible.

Earlier models such as 360E may or may not work with GX7 wireless but work with GH3 wireless.

They get really good customer reviews on a couple of sites, from both Panasonic and Olympus owners.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315626 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2014 - 9:49 PM

I like the idea of doing away with third party clutter and keeping the kit as minimalist as possible.

Me as well but RC flash has its problems and its not an out and out wireless system, I still need separate wireless triggers.

Its a little misleading when some people call them wireless flash.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 28 Aug 2014 - 10:06 PM
Chris_L
28 Aug 2014 - 10:14 PM

RC sounds like the Olympus version? Not that it matters to me. If I get a 360L it will be just to give me a bit more flexibility, would use it in abandoned buildings, woods and stuff. I think I can add more flashes later if I want and group them etc.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315626 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2014 - 10:22 PM

RC sounds like the Olympus version?

Its just a different name, both systems are identical and they both work in exactly the same way.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 28 Aug 2014 - 10:24 PM
Chris_L
28 Aug 2014 - 10:47 PM

I see, what kind of problems are there with that system that I need to be wary of?

Paul Morgan
28 Aug 2014 - 10:55 PM

Using Flash ?

I should imagine it will pose similar problems as the Canon System or Nikon CLS and will not be ideal under all conditions.

For some idea here Nikon`s CLS is compared against OLympus RC, it will be the same with Panasonic.

http://www.lightingrumours.com/olympus-rc-system-test-4640#.U_-ii2OgtII

Chris_L
28 Aug 2014 - 11:32 PM

Ah right, he does say in his conclusion "In the end the RC system of Olympus works well, just like the one from Nikon does" but I hadn't realised that these things are infra-red control. Line of site only blx? Sad

For some reason when I saw all the wireless groups and channels I thought it meant built-in radio triggering - sounded too-good-to-be true and seems it is!

Back to the drawing board.

Paul Morgan
28 Aug 2014 - 11:43 PM

I don`t think there even IR, the units in your groups are controlled by a quick burst of pre flash.

In the studio and indoors the system works very well.

Chris_L
28 Aug 2014 - 11:48 PM

Right, it must flash in a special fast sequence in order to communicate on different channels and talk to different groups. Beggars belief that they do it optically.

I'm sure I've still got some of those 13 quid triggers kicking around.

The way the Gx7 flash comes out on a bit of a stalk suggests to me that there are probably some good little modifiers that get it to bounce and that diffuse it, any idea before I Google?

Paul Morgan
29 Aug 2014 - 12:02 AM

Why not set your camera flash to wireless (M) and use this to trigger your Yongnuo 460, the pre flash from your camera should trigger the 460.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Chris_L
29 Aug 2014 - 12:27 AM

Good idea!

Paul Morgan
29 Aug 2014 - 12:30 AM

After writing that I had to go and do a double check Smile

It does work, but it might be a bit fiddly setting it up without a flash meter.

Chris_L
29 Aug 2014 - 12:43 AM

I just spent the last ten minutes playing with it. At first I set it up in S1 mode with camera flash set to manual. It worked better though putting camera in TTL, dialing in -3 fec and setting 460 to S2 (where it ignores pre-flash)

The 460 needs to be in front of the camera or it sometimes doesn't go off. It's a better-than-nothing solution that's for sure. Thanks Paul.

Paul Morgan
29 Aug 2014 - 12:53 AM

Yes that will work as well, its also less hassle, your basically turning your 460 into the main light source and using the built in as the fill by dialing it down.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.