Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Panasonic G5 / GH3 off camera flash

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
chrisnorris
21 Jul 2013 - 2:57 PM

I originally bought a G5 as a lightweight backup to my Nikon D7000, but am finding that I am using the G5 more than I expected and can see a time when it will be my main camera and the D7000 kept for studio work. One of the things I love about the Nikon is the off camera flash ability. I have a couple of SB700 flash and can fully control them off camera through the camera commander mode. In studio I sometimes use these and sometimes Elinchrome or Bowens strobes with wireless triggers depending on which studio space I am renting. Researching the use of the G5 in studio it seems a bit more limiting and I can't really find much Panasonic guidance. Interestingly Olympus runs good workshops on the OMD with Damian McGillicuddy but I have not seem similar Panny ones for the GH3. My question is firstly are there any pro or semi-pro photographers using the GH3 or G5 for studio work? Secondly which flash systems do people use for the G5? I have looked at Metz guns (52 & 44) and some wireless triggers (Hahnel), and appreciate that Panny have their own (slightly more expensive) system . Any advice or experiences very helpful!!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Jul 2013 - 2:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lemmy
lemmy  61672 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Jul 2013 - 4:29 PM

I just use the standard sync socket on the GH3 and set the exposure manually. The GH3 seems to have a fairly flexible flash capability but I'm no expert on flash and hesitate to give advice unless I'm certain.

In the absence of anyone being able to help you I can email you a copy of the GH3 manual if you like.

chrisnorris
21 Jul 2013 - 6:40 PM

Never thought of looking in the GH3 manual, such a bl**dy obvious thing Blush

I have a G5 so will download a copy of the GH3 manual from the Panny site and see what they say before committing to buy http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/LUMIX+Digital+Cameras/LUMIX+G+Com...

Thanks

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214381 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jul 2013 - 7:46 PM

The G5 will be a fair bit behind your Nikon system when it comes to flash, any control will need to be wired.

Although in the studio you can go manual and get away with cheap triggers.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 21 Jul 2013 - 7:47 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214381 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2013 - 2:30 AM

This chap here uses a GH3 for his pro work.

http://www.smallcamerabigpicture.com/setup-your-gh3-like-a-boss-part-1-of-4-func...

Make sure you check out all the deals as well, with the OMD you can still claim a free grip, this might still be true for the GH3 as well.

One thing is for sure, what ever camera you choose, I hope you have a big wallet, because once you start adding units with wireless flash capabilities, the final costs will jump quite some way Smile

chrisnorris
22 Jul 2013 - 7:52 AM

Thanks guys. GH3 manual confirms that it can control 3 off camera flashes with wifi (impressive as my Nikon does the same, but with light rather than wifi so needs line of sight). Amazon have a pretty good deal where you get a reasonably cheap price but they give you 150 in Amazon vouchers as well. In addition Panasonic are offering a free grip - so you get both. About the best I can find so far.

ChrisV
ChrisV  7663 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2013 - 11:22 AM

AFAIK the G6 also has built in wireless flash control [it has wireless built in so I'd be surprised if it didn't]- but it will [like the GH3] only work with flashes that have a WiFi receiver [obviously!] like the Panasonic FL360. These look like fairly decent units with a GN36 rating and built in LED for video work - they're also compatible with Olympus models' wireless controls too.

chrisnorris
22 Jul 2013 - 1:22 PM

Yes, you're right. Just looked at the manual on the Panny site and G6 has same wireless control features (page 146-8) which is impressive as the camera is positioned below the GH3.

Paul Morgan
22 Jul 2013 - 2:51 PM

Quote: AFAIK the G6 also has built in wireless flash control [it has wireless built in so I'd be surprised if it didn't]- but it will [like the GH3] only work with flashes that have a WiFi receiver [obviously!] like the Panasonic FL360. These look like fairly decent units with a GN36 rating and built in LED for video work - they're also compatible with Olympus models' wireless controls too.

Shop around though I don`t know why it is but often the Lumix badged Olympus flash units cost more.

ChrisV
22 Jul 2013 - 3:53 PM

Quote: AFAIK the G6 also has built in wireless flash control [it has wireless built in so I'd be surprised if it didn't]- but it will [like the GH3] only work with flashes that have a WiFi receiver [obviously!] like the Panasonic FL360. These look like fairly decent units with a GN36 rating and built in LED for video work - they're also compatible with Olympus models' wireless controls too.

Shop around though I don`t know why it is but often the Lumix badged Olympus flash units cost more.

Are the Panny FL360 and the Olympus FL600 essentially the same unit then? From what I've seen either can be got for around 225 which aint bad.

I'm just using a Polaroid PL144 m4/3 compatible flash at present. It works OK but it's nothing fancy and the recycle is glacial. I'd be looking for something a bit better when I eventually get a GH3/G6/OMD [still haven't made my mind up yet, but I'm tempted toward the latter for the in-body IS and very marginally better high ISO performance [from what I understand]. It doesn't hurt it would also cost a bit less than the GH3. I really need to have a play if possible though - I like the way Pannys are ergonomically and I also feel the wireless functions would be very useful for me. Not an easy decision this one.

Paul Morgan
22 Jul 2013 - 7:32 PM

Quote: Are the Panny FL360 and the Olympus FL600 essentially the same unit then?

No the FL360 is a re-badged Olympus FL36, I`m not even sure if its been updated to wireless control like the FL36R.

Quote: I'm just using a Polaroid PL144 m4/3 compatible flash at present. It works OK but it's nothing fancy and the recycle is glacial

All off a sudden I`m seeing loads of units on Amazon with name brands I`d never seen before, I wouldn`t be surprised if a lot of them are all built in the same factory Smile

Keep a look out in the second hand section of LCE Chris.

Quote: It doesn't hurt it would also cost a bit less than the GH3. I really need to have a play if possible though - I like the way Pannys are ergonomically and I also feel the wireless functions would be very useful for me. Not an easy decision this one

The two part grip for the OMD, transforms its handling, and its still free at the mo Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 22 Jul 2013 - 8:01 PM
ChrisV
23 Jul 2013 - 12:05 AM

The 360, like the Fl600 has the LED video light and a WiFi trigger built in. The FL36r is like the older Panasonic model (I used to have one) with the IR unit on the front.

They do appear to have slightly different modelling (the pan360 and the oly600 that is), but the size, configuration and specs make me suspect their superficial, largely cosmetic differences).

Both the OMD and the GH3 have offers of a free portrait grip at present, but they'd both be on redemption - I doubt I'll get to try them out. Sad it does add extra incentive over the alternative of the G6 though.

Speaking of grips, we've finally got a second Canon battery and my colleague at work has fitted a portrait grip to the office 5DiI (I never bought one for my own). Having used that today (thankfully on-site), it makes me even more resentful of the heft of the thing. I routinely carry around a G3, a GX1 (I replaced the kaput one), the Polaroid flash unit, a 100-300, a 14-42 and 14-42x plus the 20mm pancake and batteries/ etc and I swear the whole lot doesn't feel as heavy as the 5DIi did today with 24-105L and 580EX fitted.

When we go out it's usually with that, a spare body and the 70-200 f2.8 in the bag. It's a great camera and the 70-200 in particular is a fantastic lens, but it's getting back- breaking, especially in this weather. I've got a job in Honley Thursday morning and my colleague is out with the office 5DII. I've resolved I'm going to do it with the m4/3 gear. It's outside anyway - any subtle difference won't be worth the weight.

Paul Morgan
23 Jul 2013 - 12:24 AM

Quote: The 360, like the Fl600 has the LED video light and a WiFi trigger built in. The FL36r is like the older Panasonic model (I used to have one) with the IR unit on the front

The two units are worlds apart maybe your thinking of some think else Chris.

This is the 360, its identical to the FL36.

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/Digital+Camera/Flash/DMW-FL360E/S...

Paul Morgan
23 Jul 2013 - 12:27 AM

I see where your coming from now you on about the 360LE, lol they do make things confusing Smile

The M4/3 equ of the Canon 24-70 L and 70-200 L would be an eye opener for you, there half the size, half the weight and half the cost Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 23 Jul 2013 - 12:30 AM
chrisnorris
23 Jul 2013 - 8:41 AM

You make a good point about cost Paul. I am looking at the GH3 with the two 2.8 lenses and thinking they are very expensive - which they are if compared to a G5 with kit lenses. However compared to the Nikon (in my case) equivalent lenses they are better value as well as being considerably lighter obviously. I wonder if part of the problem for new buyers is that Canon and Nikon are still perceived as being largely the only pro or semi-pro option and Panasonic has yet to move up to this point. I think the studio workshops that Olympus runs is one of the things that is helping to make the OMD more acceptable to the semi-pro market but Panasonic don't seem to be following this with any events or training other than their 'try before youo buy' promotion when the GH3 was launched.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.