Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

panasonic G5

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    calmat
    calmat  3 United Kingdom
    1 Feb 2013 - 7:24 PM

hi everyone

I am thinking about buying a panasonic G5 is their anyone out there who has one and can give me their opinion on this camera

regards calmat

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    1 Feb 2013 - 7:24 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314915 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Feb 2013 - 7:37 PM

Why the Panasonic ?

calmat
    calmat  3 United Kingdom
    1 Feb 2013 - 8:09 PM

hello paul

a friend of mine has the GH2 which i have used and liked but cannot afford, the new G5 is similar and affordable to me.
    regards calmat

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314915 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Feb 2013 - 8:42 PM

I use both a G2 and an OMD.

If your on a very tight budget and need a viewfinder the G5 can be a good option.

If you feel you will likely be using primes, there will be no IS with Pany or Olympus lenses, Olympus uses inbody IS, if IS is your thing then an Olympus body would be better.

sparrowhawk
    sparrowhawk e2 Member 5267 forum postssparrowhawk vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Feb 2013 - 10:25 PM

i have one and it is superb you can do so much with it , if i wervyou i'd invest in one inmy opion you won't regret it!

EsaT
    EsaT  1 Finland
    1 Feb 2013 - 10:40 PM

Haven't tried G5 because of it being among all those cameras since last spring I wasn't interested in buying. (upgraded from GH2 to GH3)

But basing to images in camerasize.com G5 should have more ergonomical, rounder grip than GH2's thin anorectic grip.
    Sensor is same design fixed to 4:3 aspect ratio mode, with probable little tweaking as DxO found slightly improved DR.
    Otherwise features are quite same except G5 having little more burst speed and buffer. And on video side it has also modern 1080p50/60 video mode instead of being limited to stone age 25/30p and interlaced crap.
    Also rear LCD has been upgraded to twice the dots.
    So if GH2 feels good G5 should definitely fit the bill.

Quote: Olympus uses inbody IS, if IS is your thing then an Olympus body would be better.

Too bad Olympus just got stuck to half century old designs.
    Would myself love to have that E-M5's IBIS (+could use Live Bulb) because I photograph mostly stationary (or very slow) targets in which image stabilization can help.

Paul Morgan
    1 Feb 2013 - 10:43 PM

I`ve not yet used Live Bulb, its a superb feature for landscapers Smile

calmat
    calmat  3 United Kingdom
    2 Feb 2013 - 12:52 PM

hi everyone

thanks for all your help and comments, i have looked at the G5 on amazon and have noticed that they do two versions of the kit lens
    their is the normal 14-42mm lense and their is a 14-42mm X lense can anyone please explain the X.

regards calmat

chrisnorris
    2 Feb 2013 - 5:50 PM

X lens is more compact and has manual and power zoom which is much smoother for video usage.

calmat
    calmat  3 United Kingdom
    2 Feb 2013 - 6:17 PM

thanks for that information chris

calmat

mikehit
    mikehit  46165 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Feb 2013 - 11:00 PM

I have the 14-42X and although I like the compactness of it, I find the power zoom can be frustrating - when wanting to frame quickly, the zoom has sluggish response and there is not immediate indication which way you need to press the lever. Manual zoom on the standard lens would be much quicker and more accurate. If you get chance to try it in the shop I suggest you do so.
    I don't use video much so can't comment on how it works there.

Paul Morgan
    2 Feb 2013 - 11:03 PM

The sluggish power zoom response make it better for video I guess.

But I`ve read the image quality is better from the standard 14-42.

ChrisV
    ChrisV  7727 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Feb 2013 - 1:43 PM

I've read still image quality is much the same - perhaps a tad disappointing given that the X is much more expensive. But it is much the most compact (interchangeable) lens to cover the range, being only the size of a pancake when closed.

Given that size is one of the principal lures of the m4/3 range, I think that's where the extra money goes. Although I would say if that we're a primary goal, it's a better partner for the GX1.

I've never owned the G5 - it seems big compared with the G3 with no great advantage in IQ (I'm sure it's probably a nicer camera in use). But I do quite like the ergonomics of the Pannys I've used - far more so than the PEN I also have had.

My GX1 has failed on me recently - I wonder if anyone has heard if a replacement for that model is imminent?

mikehit
    mikehit  46165 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Feb 2013 - 3:07 PM

Sorry to hear about the GX1.
    There was supposed to be GX2 anounced in November but for the last 6months the release date has been put back and earliest now is Q3 2013. Rumours (as usual) abound on its specifications but the most optimistic suggest built in viewfinder, in-body stabilisation and the same sensor as used in the GH3 (and OM-D). But don't hold your breath...

I love the ergonomics of the GX and they seem to have the interface and buttons spot on, so I would love for this to be released but the delays have me eyeing the OM-D.

Paul Morgan
    3 Feb 2013 - 5:34 PM

You have had a run of bad luck with CSC`s Chris Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.