Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Panasonic Lumix GH2 or Nikon D700

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mikeyc71
mikeyc71  111243 forum posts
2 Jan 2011 - 3:57 PM

I have been sweating on a Panasonic Lumix GH2 for several weeks now and after reading some reviews I have come to the conclusion it may not be for me. As the camera is all plastic and seems to have better video quality than stills I have been looking into a Nikon D700 for low light photography. I have been blown away how good the images look at ISO 6400 and this has swayed me in the direction of the Nikon.

My question is there will be a replacement for the D700 in the next couple of months or so and this will lead to the price of the D700 coming down. Does this mean Nikon will stop producing the D700 as I do not want to miss out on buying one as a discounted price if everyone thinks the same as me and goes out and buys one? I cannot afford to buy the replacement as it won't be priced under 2K to start with and this means I, and many thousands of other people, will be waiting for the price of a D700 to drop.

Am I bang on the money?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Jan 2011 - 3:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
2 Jan 2011 - 4:55 PM

I can't comment on the Panasonic Lumix GH2 or Nikon D700? comparison as I have no experience of the Panasonic.

What I can say is that my Nikon D300 and D3s both have exceptionally good high-ISO performance and I would expect the D700 to be equally good in that regard.

On the pricing, the "street price" of the D700 is already falling, as tends to happen with all new cameras once the initial demand for "the latest model" has been met. Rumours abound, but no-one really knows if Nikon are planning a replacement soon. The point is that, once they do announce a replacement, production of the current model will stop and, apart from stock clearance by retailers, there are unlikely to be any big price reductions around. It is equally unlikely that the price of s/h models will drop much more in the short-term.

You should be able to get a new D700 for around 1650 or a good s/h one for about 1450. I suspect that hanging around for further reductions is pretty much a mug's game at present. Either you need/want a new camera of that spec now or you don't. If you do, then I don't think there's much to be gained by waiting for a new model that will be even less affordable. And it doesn't matter tuppence how much better that new model is - a D700 you buy today will still be as good in a year's time as it is now.

User_Removed
2 Jan 2011 - 5:17 PM

To compare the Panasonic Lumix GH2 and a Nikon D700 is to attempt to compare chalk and cheese when one is starving hungry.

The 'cheese' here is the D700.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 2 Jan 2011 - 5:17 PM
MikeH
MikeH  9217 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2011 - 5:46 PM

Cracking Camera Gromit !

Well said Mike

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315324 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2011 - 7:21 PM

Quote: To compare the Panasonic Lumix GH2 and a Nikon D700 is to attempt to compare chalk and cheese when one is starving hungry

I don`t really think you have a clue of what you really want Sad

Quote: I am looking to ditch my Canon EOS20D and assortment of L grade lens for a more compact and up-to-date kit

This from your last thread, and now your comparing the G2 to the D700.

Seriously I would forget both the G2 and the Nikon since you have all that L glass and get a new Canon body.

mikeyc71
11 Jan 2011 - 1:23 PM

Quote: I don`t really think you have a clue of what you really want

You are quite correct there Paul. The reason for my indecision is because I originally wanted to go for the Panasonic Lumix GH2, but after reading some reviews I wasn't quite all that impressed with the image quality compared to, say the Nikon D700 or D300s.

I am looking to sell off my entire Canon stock because I am not impressed with any of the pro-sumer models and I quite like the feel and weight of the Nikon D700/D300s. As the price of the D700 is extortionate I have settled on the D300s, but now I am having a lot of problems deciding what lens to get with it. I have whittled it down to the 17-55 f2.8 DX, 24-70 f2.8 and 16-85 DX.

The 17-55 f2.8 DX has too many quirks that I just would end up frustrated by it. Numerous reviews have mentioned some problems with this lens, i.e. field curvature causing the center to be sharp, but the edges and corners very soft. It seems to be impossible to create a sharp image unless you stop down at least to f/8. There is no point in paying 1.1K for this lens if I can't shoot wide open at f/2.8 and maintain a satisfactory level of sharpness! On the plus side, the lens exhibits fantastic contrast/colors and bokeh!

The 24-70 f2.8 is designed for full frame bodies and is too expensive and doesn't balance very well on a D300s.

This leaves the 16-85, which is designed for a DX body and is sharper than the 17-55 at all speeds and focal ranges. The only downside with this lens is the lack of contrast and a terrible bokeh. So this lens has been struck of my list.

Having said all of this it doesn't leave me very much choice, but to go with my first choice; the GH2 with the Leica 14-50 f3.8-5.6 with a m4/3 adapter. The problem is the body is too light and is made of plastic. This is in contrast to the excellent D300s, which is excellently built and is the kind of body feel/weight I want to go for.

This is leaving a sour taste in my mouth and will force me to keep my 20D and sell off my 17-40L, 70-200L lens and invest in a 24-70L lens. I am not keen on keeping the body as it is very outdated now and has no weather/moisture sealing, unlike the D300s. Unless somebody can point me in a walk-around Nikon zoom lens that is sharp across the board, has great contrast, buttery bokeh then I fear my photographic hobby will end up in obscurity Sad

Rant over!

Last Modified By mikeyc71 at 11 Jan 2011 - 1:25 PM
ChrisJD
ChrisJD  496 forum posts Scotland
11 Jan 2011 - 5:47 PM

How about

Nikon16-35 F4 G at approx 845

Barrell distortion on full frame but not the DX D300

OR

Nikon 35 F2 D at 260
Nikon 50 F1.8 D at approx 105
Nikon 85 F1.8 D at approx 310

Phenomenal quality, balance brilliantly, very fast, nice bokeh on ALL of them and combined they cost less than the zoom. They may be old but they are GOOD. Len's point above - a good piece of equipment will remain a good piece of equipment no matter how good the next piece is. Especially for lenses!!

mikeyc71
11 Jan 2011 - 8:36 PM

Hi Chris, thanks for your comments. I think the 16-35 is too restrictive with that focal range, which is why I considered the 16-85VR as this has the range I am looking for, but not the speed performance. As for the primes I am sure they're all fab lenses, but I am looking for a single walk around lens as I do not want to be changing lenses; again one of the reasons I am selling all of my Canon lenses.

I was going to get the 17-55 due to its excellent contrast and bokeh, but it has some serious issues with the corners and sides begging very soft.

This is making it very hard to make the decision to go for the 16-55VR because I do not like the image quality I have seen on the Interenet. This could force me to get the Lumix GH2 with the excellent Leica 14-50, which has fantastic image quality that puts the 16-85VR to shame. The problem is the GH2 body is too light and plasticky Sad

BigRick
BigRick  92085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2011 - 10:33 PM

Quote: Hi Chris, thanks for your comments. I think the 16-35 is too restrictive with that focal range, which is why I considered the 16-85VR as this has the range I am looking for, but not the speed performance. As for the primes I am sure they're all fab lenses, but I am looking for a single walk around lens as I do not want to be changing lenses; again one of the reasons I am selling all of my Canon lenses.

I was going to get the 17-55 due to its excellent contrast and bokeh, but it has some serious issues with the corners and sides begging very soft.

This is making it very hard to make the decision to go for the 16-55VR because I do not like the image quality I have seen on the Interenet. This could force me to get the Lumix GH2 with the excellent Leica 14-50, which has fantastic image quality that puts the 16-85VR to shame. The problem is the GH2 body is too light and plasticky Sad

i have that lens and cant fault it,,,, it almost never leaves my camera, and half of the first page of my portfolio was taken with it. Stupid question, but if you are shooting at f2.8 why does it matter if the edges are sharp?? they should be out of focus anyway due to the shallow DOF.

Last Modified By BigRick at 11 Jan 2011 - 10:35 PM
mikeyc71
12 Jan 2011 - 7:09 PM

Quote: i have that lens and cant fault it,,,, it almost never leaves my camera, and half of the first page of my portfolio was taken with it. Stupid question, but if you are shooting at f2.8 why does it matter if the edges are sharp?? they should be out of focus anyway due to the shallow DOF.

Because I have read so many forums of people being irritated by the 17-55 lens due to curvature of field problems, which only seems to affect this lens. No matter what they do the lens cannot produce sharp edges and corners unless the lens is stopped down to f/8! The Tamron 17-50 does not exhibit this problem and some people actually favour the Tamron over the Nikon! Not bad for 300 lens!

My gripe is I am unable to locate a Nikon lens offering the sharpness and range of the 16-85VR with the bokeh, contrast and f/2.8 speed of the 17-55 Sad

Last Modified By mikeyc71 at 12 Jan 2011 - 7:11 PM
mikehit
mikehit  56428 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2011 - 1:47 PM

Be careful reading reviews. The quality of lenses and bodies today is so far superior than anything in the past that reviewers are finding ever smaller faults to differentiate them. Before making this decision take a memory card to a shop and put it into a D300s/17-55 combo and try them out yourself. Take the card home and check out the pictures.
If you are set on buying the 300s and you have read reviews that the Tamron is superior to the Nikon equivalent then I don't see where the issue is: get the Tamron (with or wihtout VC).

What is it about the Canon prosumer that does not impress you? 'Feel' is as good a reason as any but I was wondering if there is another reason. If you are not impressed with their prosumer, then would the 7D be good enough? I would say sell the 17-40 and go for the 7D with 17-55? The Canon 17-55 f2.8IS seems to be superior to the Nikon equivalent and (for me) makes a great general purpose lens on my 30D.

MeanGreeny
30 Jan 2011 - 5:41 PM

To me it appears from the posts above that the problem lies with your enjoyment of your photography rather than your kit.

Apologies if this is not the case but some soul searching may help ?

Regards

ChrisV
ChrisV  7780 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
8 Feb 2011 - 5:26 PM

I can't understand this - if you've already invested [and plan to do more in future] on good quality glass, why on earth would you want to save 400 in not buying a D700 - or perhaps even more sensibly given your current kit, a 5DII at around the same price?

Yes good glass is always a good investment. But I had kit based around a Nikon D300 and had it all nicked. I was in a quandary over my replacement being the D700 or the 5DII. In the end what swayed me was that I needed to get something reasonable in the meantime before my insurance paid out. At what I could afford the 550D [particularly at the time] offered the best bang-for-buck on just about any level. I missed the build quality and the ergonomics of my Nikon but was pleasantly surprised by what I could squeeze out of the Canon.

However, when I got the 5DII it was a revelation. It hurt like hell to realise how much I absolutely needed to spend on Canon glass [because there aren't any decent third party alternatives in standard zooms] but step up from APS-C to full frame was amazing. Depth of field is much shallower at equivalent apertures, there's masses of detail and the higher ISOs are in a class apart [probably not as good as the D700, but still pretty impressive]. If you're interested at shooting high ISOs and like the idea of plenty of depth of field control I wouldn't even contemplate micro 4/3. Very good for portability/weight,[if that's important the GF-1/2 or PEN 2s are much more compact] but pixel pitch and sensor size is strictly limiting if you want comparisons.

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
8 Feb 2011 - 5:38 PM

OK if you already have a set of good L glass, and you are thinking of getting the D300S why not just get a 7D, use you existing glass. The build quality of both cameras is very very similar. The image quality of both cameras again very equal. the functionality very similar.The weather sealing again very similar.

So why not save money and time and just get the 7D? It does sound like you have spent too much time on the internet reading of problems, those Nikon lenses are fine, as are the Nikon and Canon bodies.

Last Modified By strawman at 8 Feb 2011 - 5:41 PM
strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
8 Feb 2011 - 5:50 PM

Another thought, how important is edge sharpness @ f2.8? By definition if I shoot that wide open I want to isolate the subject from the background, and I seldom have the subject in the corner of the image, well not if it is a good shot. And if I want everything sharp then by sods law I am in the F8 to F11 region.

but yes Ido wonder why you thin the 7D is any less of a camera than the D300s. they as so close.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.