Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Panasonic Lumix GX7

joshwa e2
4 605 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2013 9:22AM
Hi,

What would you like to know about the Panasonic Lumix GX7?

We will be putting it through the usual review, but if you want any specific features looked at in more detail, please let us know,

Cheers,

Josh

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

How easy is the viewfinder to move? Can it be casually knocked out of place?
8 Aug 2013 9:43AM
There are people who use left eye and the ones who use right eye for a viewfinder. With EVF that far to the left how comfortable is it for right - eye guys? Is holding the camera comfortable with EVF in use? Any problems with the "hatch" on the top of EVF? Use of control pad with the screen tilted? Overall camera balance with different lenses ( lens mount is quite asymmetrical).
Tbh, i use my right eye and I can imagine that being better because otherwise my face would get in the way of the controls.
joshwa e2
4 605 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2013 10:59AM

Quote:How easy is the viewfinder to move? Can it be casually knocked out of place?

It's not very easy to knock out of place. It's easy to move, but it is also held in place firmly when in the down position.

If you use it with the left eye, the screen gets pretty smudged.
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2013 11:02AM
I have never used one of the fabled 'RF-style' cameras but what is the 'feel' of holding the camera - with DSLR, the viewfinder, supporting hand and the lens are in a natural 'line of sight' to the subject, but with the corner VF it seems to be akin to using a horizontal periscope which for many could be a bit weird.
joshwa e2
4 605 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2013 11:06AM

Quote:There are people who use left eye and the ones who use right eye for a viewfinder. With EVF that far to the left how comfortable is it for right - eye guys? Is holding the camera comfortable with EVF in use? Any problems with the "hatch" on the top of EVF? Use of control pad with the screen tilted? Overall camera balance with different lenses ( lens mount is quite asymmetrical).

Seems pretty comfortable in both left or right eye use.
The camera has a very good grip for your right hand.
I'm not sure what you mean by the "hatch" on the top of the EVF?
The touchscreen works well, and tilted it has a reasonable amount of friction so that it stays in place when using the touch screen so long as your touch isn't excessively forceful - it's responsive enough so that you shouldn't need to press too hard.

I can't imaging there being too many issues with balance, as the camera is quite weighty as far as M43 cameras go (most lenses are quite light), and with the larger lenses you would most likely use two hands to support the lens as well.
joshwa e2
4 605 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2013 11:12AM

Quote:I have never used one of the fabled 'RF-style' cameras but what is the 'feel' of holding the camera - with DSLR, the viewfinder, supporting hand and the lens are in a natural 'line of sight' to the subject, but with the corner VF it seems to be akin to using a horizontal periscope which for many could be a bit weird.

I think the position works well - sfar over enough so you can use your right eye - and if you use your left eye, then the lens is in the middle of your face. I think it wouldn't take too long to get used to.

The viewfinder is a 16:9 aspect ratio LCD - so in 4:3 photo mode, the image is on the right, and in 16:9 the whole LCD is used (for example video recording).
8 Aug 2013 1:54PM

Quote:...
I'm not sure what you mean by the "hatch" on the top of the EVF?

Maybe it will be clearer if I call it flap. A little bit of metal that covers EVF to make it level with top panel when EVF is put horizontally. When EVF is lifted it lifts too. What are the chances of accumulating dirt under it and can it be lifted easily for a cleanup?
lemmy 7 2.0k United Kingdom
8 Aug 2013 2:11PM
I'd be interested to know how the new sensor from Panasonic compares to the GH3.
joshwa e2
4 605 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2013 2:14PM
Have a look at these pictures:

panasonic-lumix-gx7-evf-views--2-.jpg

The top bit of metal you're referring to is actually part of the EVF, so when you lift the EVF up, the whole things moves up too.

panasonic-lumix-gx7-evf-views--3-.jpg

There are now a lot more photos here of the GX7, with lots of pics of the EVF Smile
http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/item/panasonic-lumix-gx7-5236/images
joshwa e2
4 605 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2013 2:15PM

Quote:I'd be interested to know how the new sensor from Panasonic compares to the GH3.

This will be part of the full review - while we don't have a GH3 - we do have an OM-D so will be looking at how noise compares between them.
lemmy 7 2.0k United Kingdom
8 Aug 2013 2:37PM

Quote:while we don't have a GH3 - we do have an OM-D

Same difference!
joshwa e2
4 605 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2013 2:44PM

Quote:while we don't have a GH3 - we do have an OM-D

Same difference!

Yeah I know Smile Just different colours / WB performance in our ISO comparison.
joshwa e2
4 605 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2013 2:57PM
If you can't wait for the review, you can look at sample photos here:
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gx7-sample-photos-22642

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.