Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Panasonic lx5, Nikon D7000, Canon G12

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
su671
su671  432 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Dec 2010 - 5:28 PM

i am going to St Marteen on New Years Eve and this is one of the best places to buy cameras, so im going to treat myself,, but which one,, any help would be great. i curantly own a D80, Canon Ixus 960is and a Panasonic T2, want a MAIN CAMERA, D80 is sometimes to big, the Ixus is getting a little old "but still great photos" and the T2 is good, but not good enougth when compared next to the D80 or Ixus

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Dec 2010 - 5:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

kaybee
kaybee  103808 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
17 Dec 2010 - 9:34 PM

Why not consider going midway with one of the micro four thirds cameras like the Lumic GF1 or the Olympus Pen?

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
17 Dec 2010 - 10:22 PM

Quote: Panasonic lx5, Nikon D7000, Canon G12

LOL...Grin Are you having a laugh....Smile

A choice between 2 compacts or a very serious DSLR, Keep the Ixus for the happy snaps, Sell the D80 and the T2, Buy the D7000 for the serious stuff.....!!!

Just check out the technical spec of the D7000 alongside the D80, That should give you a clue.

Simples....Wink

miptog
miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
17 Dec 2010 - 11:16 PM

The OP may have meant the P7000.

nikonforever
18 Dec 2010 - 3:45 AM

heheh
have to like the way cameracat thinks though, and they're right...sell the rest and get one of the best, the D7000 and never look back

DuncanDisorderly

However....
If you do get a compact I'd say the G12 takes some beating. I got asked by a friend to pick fault with some test shots prior to purchase. It's astonishingly good. I reckon noise is comparable with the 40D, possibly better; and the lens quality is as good as L-series, there's no edge softness and it's bitingly sharp.
There aren't many detailed G12 reviews out at the moment, but dpreview added test shots to their enthusiast compact group tests. If you fancy a laugh compare the shots from the G12 with the Pentax 645D (medium format 40Mp); there is surprising little difference between them! There is a a bit more detail, but not so you would ever notice on an A3 print and it's amazing that a comparison between a compact and medium format is even meaningful.
P.S. I've got an LX3 - the G12 cannot be meaningfully compared as it is SO much better.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315222 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
18 Dec 2010 - 4:33 PM

Quote: Why not consider going midway with one of the micro four thirds cameras like the Lumic GF1 or the Olympus Pen?

Quote: If you do get a compact I'd say the G12 takes some beating

On price, image quality and so on the G12 is easily beaten, the older m4/3 camera`s can be picked up for about the same price and will be so much better.

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
18 Dec 2010 - 5:02 PM

Whatever you do, do not do the same as me and buy a Canon S90. Not only is it very portable it has turned out to take very good quality photo's (same sensor as G series) for a compact it is so dammed usable and mixed with a relatively fast lens makes it usable in low light. For example this was taken at 1/15, F2 ISO800 hand held @ -20 when compensating for wind chill. Good IS as well as I can assure you I was shivering. sweden2.jpg My old compact would have had so much noise..

And why not to buy it, well my SLR is not getting used much now. Wink Also the SLR would have been @ F4 so the ISO would have been a lot higher. Is it an SLR beater, well no, but under many conditions it gives a DSLR a run for its money. But I cannot see it as a replacement for wildlife or sports etc, but for walkabout camera, it is more than good enough.

Returning to your choices, I would pick LX5 because the other two are not as portable, and the faster lens opens up new opportunities I find. Yes it has less of a zoom range but its good. And in the same light I would say go try Canons S90/95 as well. For me the low light operation and the more portable nature of the S90/95 or LX5 is worth more than that offered by the P7000 or G12. But we are all different.

I guess my views on size are S90 and LX3/5 shirt pocket.
G12, P7000 Coat pocket
m4/3 with a prime coat pocket, otherwise small camera bag. I can see a lot of attractions of getting a m4/3 camera, even with a couple of lenses it is more compact than a DSLR kit, but it is in my eyes a step enough in size to give the compacts a portability advantage. It all depends how much gear you want to carry.

Last Modified By strawman at 18 Dec 2010 - 5:07 PM
su671
18 Dec 2010 - 5:10 PM

P7000, sorry, my mistake, yes i did mean the Nikon P7000 Smile,i like the reports on the G12,its just the look of the camera,1/2 the time i dont carry a SLR around with me, because of the size "even thou the photos are much better", i think i will have the same problem the G12 & P7000, they might be great compact's but there not compact enougth,where as the LX5, just seems to fall into the cattorgory of a Compact that will infact fit in your jacket pocket,,, but at the end of the day its about photo quality "remeber once owning a Casio Comapct", that had LOADS of Mega-Pixals, but god the photos were RUBBISH, i was so gladwhen i went swimming with it in one of them underwater bags, and i hadnt sealed it propily and all that lovely sea water killed the camera, no arguments from the wife, thecamera was dead and i could treat myself to a new camera, so i then bougth the Ixus 960is

strawman
18 Dec 2010 - 5:17 PM

Have a look at this review as it compares the LX5 to S95 and P7000 (The G12 and S95 have close to the same image quality) I would say the LX5 holds its own, I was looking for one, but the S90 price was just too good last month. I would say LX5 and S95 a draw in terms of image quality. I am impressed by the image achieved by the S90 I bought, no problem with getting A3 prints @ ISO400 and F2 lens is very liberating. A better finger grip would be my request.

Last Modified By strawman at 18 Dec 2010 - 5:23 PM
miptog
miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
18 Dec 2010 - 6:23 PM

Quote: the G12 & P7000, they might be great compact's but there not compact enougth,where as the LX5, just seems to fall into the cattorgory of a Compact that will infact fit in your jacket pocket,,, but at the end of the day its about photo quality

mod1.jpg

That's the dilemma that I have. Use a G9, which is just a bit too big to fit easily into a jacket or trouser pocket. Consequently I find that occasionally I will leave it behind, which sort of defeats the purpose of buying it as a "keep with me always" camera. The image above was taken today. but also know the quality would be much better with my D200.

Last Modified By miptog at 18 Dec 2010 - 6:24 PM
su671
18 Dec 2010 - 7:20 PM

just read the review the Strawman left a link for,well now i am more confused,, BUT its down to 2, its going to be LX5 or G12, Deffo notgoing 3/4 camera, will still be like carrying around a SLR, some places you goto in this world, you DONT want a SLR dangling round your neck,, im still swaying towards the LX5 because its a compact and its got a great lens BUT the T2 i own, even thou i love the camera, the photos just dont do it forme,, im hoping on my holidays the usfulness of the camera will help me over come my disapoitmenst "i did buy it just for Holidays", swimming etc etc, so then i think G12, i lovethe photos from my ixus 960is, its nearly 3 years old, but the quality from Canon is fantastic. i think what im going to do, is whileim in St Marrteen, i will see what is the best price, if i can get agreat bargin on either camera, then thats the one im going to buy. will leave a post on the forum when i get back in January with which one i bought and a couple of photos from the winning camera,,, Thanks for allyour help,its been VERY VERY HELPFUL,,, reading between the lines i think everyone would go for the G12 "if its was a bit smaller i would deffo buy it", BUT the LX5 with its Leica Lens,, full HD video, F2 lens, keeps shouting BUY ME,, BUY ME Arrrrrrrrah lol. hope everyone getswhat theywant forChristmas and a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR when it comes,,, SU671 GrinGrin

strawman
18 Dec 2010 - 8:46 PM

Why are you picking the G12 not the S95 from Canon as the S95 and LX5 are similar size and spec. For me from your description it would be between those two, and image quality wise there is not a lot in it. I think in main the LX5 has better handling, but the ring on the S90/S95 is handy and for a pocket camera the lens cap is integral on the Canon which is very handy while you have a fiddly easy to loose classic cap. Both have f2 lenses with the canon offering slightly longer focal lengths and the Panasonic slightly wider. The lenses look very equal, both give good sharp performance. The LX5 lens is not a true Leica lens, it is one Leica helped specify some of but its made by Panasonic. Both offer high def video.

Check out what you get for the money and pick either you will not be disappointed. For me stills is most important and finding an S90 for 170 opened the wallet, but I think they have all gone now and the video is a bit basic.

Last Modified By strawman at 18 Dec 2010 - 8:49 PM
strawman
18 Dec 2010 - 9:02 PM

Taken while waiting in a airport.
untitled-panorama1.jpg A bigger camera would be too obvious. Let us know which one you pick and have fun Smile

su671
19 Dec 2010 - 11:58 AM

i have read and read and read, and yes the S95 looks a great camera and your photos look great "very clear", but I just dont know, since last night and this morning i have been doing some more reserch and im swaying more to the Panasonic LX5, BUT im still not 100%, going away Boxing Day with my 3 cameras, 4 lens, S8000 Flash, gorlia Pod, 40 GB of differant SD Cards, Battries, Chargers, Cleaning Clothes, and The Kitchen Sink lol, BUT will be coming home with ???????? will leave a report on here when i return with which camera i bought, im also going to shoot some photos with the new camera which will be posted on here in the new year Tongue, Watch something else catch my eye before i go lol

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.