Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Panoramic photos and foreground bending

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    steve_kershaw
    30 May 2008 - 6:09 PM

any panoramic experts out there?

i have took this shot here of a Spanish villa (part of a set for the owner)
    i took 9 shots, 3 sets of 3 exposure compensated,
    i am happy with the look of the shot, and the hdr feel (the customer wanted this look)

my question is, is there a way of taking this shot without getting the foreground distortion? (the glass wall is straight not bent)
    the camera was set up on a correct nodal point,

many thanks
    Steve

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    30 May 2008 - 6:09 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Simon_P
    Simon_P  8487 forum posts United Kingdom4 Constructive Critique Points
    30 May 2008 - 6:57 PM

I am not a panno expert, but a friend of mine does this stuff every day as part of his job.

He says that he uses a 50mm prime for minimal distortion and in portrait orientation to allow more room to crop top and bottom, this of course requires more frames to cover the scene. He also uses a panno head, but as you mentioned the nodal point, I assume you have used one anyway.

User_Removed
    30 May 2008 - 8:33 PM

Quote: the nodal point

Essential in serious panoramic work.

Having derived the Nodal point - and taking Simon's very valid input - the first step before ANY post-production work is to correct for any lens-related barrel and pin-cushion distortions. THIS is a first-class tool for making the necessary corrections before moving onto post-production. Try it. (I'm a very happy customer and not associated with the Company or product in a professional sense in any way)

HTH's...

Last Modified By User_Removed at 30 May 2008 - 8:35 PM
    mlewis
    mlewis  91476 forum posts United Kingdom
    30 May 2008 - 8:45 PM

Things close to the camera will always be distorted in a stitched panorama. It is a result of mapping a curved view onto a flat surface.

mjsayles
    mjsayles  81019 forum posts
    30 May 2008 - 8:50 PM

Quote: Things close to the camera will always be distorted in a stitched panorama. It is a result of mapping a curved view onto a flat surface.

Indeed - which is why a rectangular atlas of the world often shows Greenland as being almost the same size as Africa, even though it's tiny by comparison.

As has been said above, you need to do various bits of work to the images to try and combat this.

RogBrown
    RogBrown  73005 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
    30 May 2008 - 9:12 PM

This distortion may be due to using an extreme w/a lens. As Simon says above, would be better to use something nearer to a standard focal length & take more shots in portrait format.
    Rog

KevinEllison
    KevinEllison e2 Member 72504 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
    30 May 2008 - 9:57 PM

Soon as I saw the shot and read you'd used a 10-20 them were my thoughts too..likewise agree with the 50mm idea and lots of portrait held overlaps..

steve_kershaw

thanks for the replies, i will look at using a longer focal length, i presume the 50mm is on a full frame? about 30mm on my 40-d?

RogBrown
    2 Jun 2008 - 5:19 PM

Quote: i presume the 50mm is on a full frame? about 30mm on my 40-d?

Yep

trivets12
    trivets12  101151 forum posts
    2 Jun 2008 - 5:37 PM

Nope. That's the wrong way round. The 50mm on a 40D will have a multiplication of 1.6 making it an equivalent of an 80mm lens.
    Trudy

RogBrown
    2 Jun 2008 - 5:55 PM

Wrong! 30mm on a 40D is 48mm. Smile

trivets12
    trivets12  101151 forum posts
    2 Jun 2008 - 7:22 PM

Steve said he was looking at using a 50mm lens. This will definitely be the equivalent of an 80mm lens IF used on a 40D body.

jimthistle73
    2 Jun 2008 - 7:36 PM

I use a Nikon 35mm lens on a crop camera for visual impact assessment panoramas - has to be pretty exact! Using the prime also has the happy side effect that it's impossible to accidentally shift the focal length whilst shooting your panorama.

Jamie.

RogBrown
    2 Jun 2008 - 8:33 PM

Quote: Steve said he was looking at using a 50mm lens. This will definitely be the equivalent of an 80mm lens IF used on a 40D body.

No, read it again. He asked if a 30mm on his 40D was the equivalent of a 50mm on full frame.
    Rog

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.