Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Paper Choices

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Nigeyboy
    Nigeyboy  6537 forum posts United Kingdom
    1 Feb 2013 - 1:13 PM

Hi all

Since some major building work and redecorating at home, I am going to get a selection of my images printed - a split of portraits of the kids, and some colour and B&W landscapes.

Having looked through various online printers, the choice of paper is a little bewildering to me! From Matt and gloss (i'm fine on these BTW!!), Rag, and various German papers i cant even pronounce!!

Question is really - whats the best medium to choose? I don't want to skimp on quality here and want the best quality images i can get. Is there a 'best' paper for portraitd, B&W etc?

Thanks in advance!

Nige Grin

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    1 Feb 2013 - 1:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

seahawk
    seahawk e2 Member 7533 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
    1 Feb 2013 - 1:50 PM

I use Pinnacle Lustre at 300gsm you can obtain it here. It is reasonably priced and very good quality, as good as anything else out there IMHO. I prefer it to gloss, which is too shiny for me, and as I use a dye-ink printer Matt paper is not a good option. My B&W prints look good on the Lustre paper.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Nigeyboy
    Nigeyboy  6537 forum posts United Kingdom
    1 Feb 2013 - 1:56 PM

Cheers seahawk - I will be using an online printers, as I am looking at A3 sort of size.

Chris_H
    Chris_H  101472 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Feb 2013 - 2:11 PM

I like Hahnemuhle photo rag 308 and somerset enhanced velvet are both very popular with photographers and have nice surfaces that produce good colour and detail. I use both of these myself for my own printing. Their are some similar papers designed just for Black & White too. There really is a massive selection out there.

I prefer matt papers personally, particularly if they are deigned to be framed as the glass then becomes the gloss.

brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Feb 2013 - 2:22 PM

I'm using the Permajet Parchment 285 for the bulk of my prints these day as it has a lovely texture yet presents a very finely detailed and richly coloured image on my Epson R3000

(I'm with Chris regarding the use of matt papers behind glass as I hate the double reflection you can get with lustre / gloss papers - unless you use non-reflective glass, which I think degrades the image somewhat)

User_Removed
    1 Feb 2013 - 7:07 PM

There is an elephant in this particular room.

The problem, in relation to the way you pose the question, is that choice of paper is as much part of the overall process of taking and producing a photograph as parameters such as depth of field, white balance, image proportions, sharpening, etc., etc., etc.

In other words, different genres, subjects and treatments require different papers.

At present, printing my own, I use Ilford Galerie Gold Fibre Silk, Fotospeed Platinum Baryta, Ilford Galerie Smooth Gloss and Smoth Lustre, depending upon the subject and treatment. Ilford have now brought out a Galerie Gold Mono paper that I haven't tried yet but I suspect might soon end up as another option on my shelf.

Just as you might use an ivory mount for one print and a charcoal one for another, so does the paper type/surface form an integral part of the overall presentation of the photograph.

Not very helpful, I know, but facts is facts!

phred
    phred  857 forum posts
    1 Feb 2013 - 7:28 PM

My thoughts are.
    If the image is to framed and mounted behind glass, then really paper type and finish doesn't really matter.
    Try and get the best quality print you can afford, haven't used them for a long time but Loxely are amongst the best you can get.
    Fred

brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Feb 2013 - 7:54 PM

Not my experience Fred, I find that those who buy my work notice and comment upon the differences between papers, to the extent that some now specify the paper they want the image printed on

BUT

experiences differ as do tastes Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.