Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Paranoia or genuine concern?

fraser 10 631 14 Scotland
22 Jul 2013 4:32PM
I have just seen this on Facebook, posted by one of the Dumfries and Galloway pages. I can understand the concern but it's not illegal and seems like overkill to me.

"POLICE SEEKING INFORMATION

Photographer Sought Annan
Police want to trace the following described man who has been seen taking photographs, some of females, in the Everholm and riverside area of Annan over the past few weeks. During the recent spell of hot weather a number of reports have been received about the man taking photographs with what appears a professional style camera. The man is described as being tall, has a bald head, slim, glasses and wears a white shirt and jeans. Police indicate that the man has not to their knowledge approached any of the females, however may have made them feel uncomfortable. The wish to trace the man in order to clear up his motives.

Please call the police with any info on 101"

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul_Anthony 2 369 4 Wales
22 Jul 2013 4:41PM
Sounds like someone partaking in a bit of street photography to me, he was probably taking photographs of blokes, OAP's, dogs, street signs and shops as well.... I may be wrong though.

Paul
TonyBrooks 5 67 United Kingdom
22 Jul 2013 4:44PM
It will not be long before all Photographers AM or Pro will have to be Licenced

Tony
keithh e2
10 23.2k 33 Wallis And Futuna
22 Jul 2013 4:45PM
Does the 'warning' appear on the Police Scotland website or local policing pages ......or just FB?
22 Jul 2013 4:49PM
I have only seen it on facebook but, as you can see, it does say that the police are looking for him.
monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
22 Jul 2013 5:05PM
I wouldn't listen to much appearing on FB. Our local pages get hysterical and whip themselves up when a salesman dares to knock a couple of doors in the area - after a couple of posts he has become a dark, mysterios stranger with evil intent, lock your doors, windows, hide the kids etc etc etc ...
22 Jul 2013 5:11PM
The page it comes from has a high reputation and is up on the news.
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
22 Jul 2013 5:27PM

Quote:The man is described as being tall, has a bald head, slim, glasses and wears a white shirt and jeans.

That's about 50% of the EPZ membership described then Wink

Seriously though, I've seen some very suspicious looking characters whilst I've been out and about with the wife and you do sometimes feel like questioning their motives on what they are actually shooting! It's one of the reasons I've never found candid street photography that appealing, I wouldn't want some irate boyfriend or husband coming up to me accusing me of doing something that I'd never intended.....Be it legal or not!
22 Jul 2013 6:03PM

Quote:I have just seen this on Facebook, posted by one of the Dumfries and Galloway pages. I can understand the concern but it's not illegal and seems like overkill to me.
Quote:

Actually these actions can be construed as a "Breach Of The Peace" in Scotland anyone causing Alarm, Annoyance or Disturbance.

If it were just one person complaining about this photographers actions then it could have been an overreaction, however, they have received a Number of reports !

Why should it be acceptable to do this without consent ?

keithh e2
22 Jul 2013 6:08PM
Do what without consent?
edrhodes 9 521 12 United Kingdom
22 Jul 2013 6:12PM

Quote:Do what without consent?

Take pictures in public open space.........Grin
Newdevonian 2 439 United Kingdom
22 Jul 2013 6:37PM
Photographer seen in public! Call out an Armed Response Team! Whatever next? I blame it on sunstroke through tall pointy helmets.
keithh e2
22 Jul 2013 7:08PM
Does everybody on Facebook wear tall pointy helmets, then?
simmybear 8 32
22 Jul 2013 7:14PM
Can't infringe a lady's right to put on her skimpiest outfit in this hot weather can we, or are all men supposed to be neutered to prevent their temperature rising?

Sorry non PC I know but their is no equality if you create another inequality.
keithh e2
22 Jul 2013 7:17PM
Oh dear.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.