Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Patch a camera bag?

User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
17 Jun 2012 1:42PM
Yesterday I managed to burn a hole into my Lowepro bag (see pic)

It was open on a kitchen bench and the halogen under-cupboard lighting did it.

Quite fancy repairing it rather than replacing it. Not even sure of a search term for patches. Think I need something stick-on rather than iron-on or sew-on, any ideas?

Not too concerned what it looks like.

img-2400.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE
10 6.4k 18 England
17 Jun 2012 1:46PM
Sad
I doubt if DayMen International will replace it under warranty, but perhaps worth cheekily asking them Wink
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
17 Jun 2012 2:01PM
It's been a great bag and I'd buy another Lowepro but I'm quite happy to patch it. Even if it looks messy I'm not bothered as I think it makes it look less attractive to thieves. Just found some tent patches on eBay that might work.
213hardy e2
6 643 England
17 Jun 2012 2:19PM

Quote: Just found some tent patches on eBay that might work.

That's what i would try.

Den
thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
17 Jun 2012 2:30PM
Billingham does/did offer a repair service but only for their own bags.
Ewanneil 4 1.1k 2 Scotland
17 Jun 2012 5:39PM
I asked my wife (who knows about these things) what you could do about your bag.

He advice was to try to get some similar material (black, nylon cordura of roughly the same weight and feel) and patch it from both sides. Her suggestion was to buy a cheap bum bag in a local Pound store or market to get your source fabric.

She says you should trim the singed edges off and then apply a patch, using fabric glue, on the inside first. Only once that is secure should you apply a patch on the outside. If it is possible you should try to stitch round the edges to prevent them from lifting off.

This may or may not be easy depending on the presence of seams, linings etc but it may be worth exploring the possibility.
justin c e2
11 4.6k 36 England
17 Jun 2012 6:10PM
I can't think of any specific links to point you towards but try having a route around on Google for pannier repairs. As a keen touring cyclist myself I've often come across people seeking advice on repairing their panniers, and the better quality ones are waterproof and ideally are preferred to stay that way. I would imagine a camera bag repair would be no different. Ortlieb generally make the Rolls Royce of pannier bags and I'm sure they sell repair kits.
justin c e2
11 4.6k 36 England
17 Jun 2012 6:12PM
Here you go , perhaps that will do the job.
NEWDIGIT 3 401 United Kingdom
18 Jun 2012 8:33AM
I had a similar problem when a bag was torn whilst on holiday.
I used a small iron flag which I bought in the local tourist souvenir market decided I liked it to the extent the bag or my foldaway rain poncho gets a new flag at each holiday destination
With a hole you may need some backing material (2 flags)
18 Jun 2012 8:42AM
Worth trying an old fashioned dry cleaners or cobblers as they have industrial sewing machines and would probably be able to sort it for a couple of quid.

I had some leather straps fitted to a motorcycle jacket once buy the above type of shop and they did a great job and cost next to nothing.

HTH

Stu

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.