Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Patch a camera bag?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    User_Removed
    17 Jun 2012 - 1:42 PM

Yesterday I managed to burn a hole into my Lowepro bag (see pic)

It was open on a kitchen bench and the halogen under-cupboard lighting did it.

Quite fancy repairing it rather than replacing it. Not even sure of a search term for patches. Think I need something stick-on rather than iron-on or sew-on, any ideas?

Not too concerned what it looks like.

img-2400.jpg

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    17 Jun 2012 - 1:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96341 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jun 2012 - 1:46 PM

Sad
    I doubt if DayMen International will replace it under warranty, but perhaps worth cheekily asking them Wink

Last Modified By JJGEE at 17 Jun 2012 - 1:46 PM
    User_Removed
    17 Jun 2012 - 2:01 PM

It's been a great bag and I'd buy another Lowepro but I'm quite happy to patch it. Even if it looks messy I'm not bothered as I think it makes it look less attractive to thieves. Just found some tent patches on eBay that might work.

213hardy
    213hardy e2 Member 6566 forum posts213hardy vcard England
    17 Jun 2012 - 2:19 PM

Quote: Just found some tent patches on eBay that might work.

That's what i would try.

Den

thewilliam
    17 Jun 2012 - 2:30 PM

Billingham does/did offer a repair service but only for their own bags.

Ewanneil
    Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jun 2012 - 5:39 PM

I asked my wife (who knows about these things) what you could do about your bag.

He advice was to try to get some similar material (black, nylon cordura of roughly the same weight and feel) and patch it from both sides. Her suggestion was to buy a cheap bum bag in a local Pound store or market to get your source fabric.

She says you should trim the singed edges off and then apply a patch, using fabric glue, on the inside first. Only once that is secure should you apply a patch on the outside. If it is possible you should try to stitch round the edges to prevent them from lifting off.

This may or may not be easy depending on the presence of seams, linings etc but it may be worth exploring the possibility.

Last Modified By Ewanneil at 17 Jun 2012 - 5:39 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    justin c
    justin c  104537 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jun 2012 - 6:10 PM

I can't think of any specific links to point you towards but try having a route around on Google for pannier repairs. As a keen touring cyclist myself I've often come across people seeking advice on repairing their panniers, and the better quality ones are waterproof and ideally are preferred to stay that way. I would imagine a camera bag repair would be no different. Ortlieb generally make the Rolls Royce of pannier bags and I'm sure they sell repair kits.

Last Modified By justin c at 17 Jun 2012 - 6:10 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    justin c
    justin c  104537 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jun 2012 - 6:12 PM

Here you go, perhaps that will do the job.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    NEWDIGIT
    NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
    18 Jun 2012 - 8:33 AM

I had a similar problem when a bag was torn whilst on holiday.
    I used a small iron flag which I bought in the local tourist souvenir market decided I liked it to the extent the bag or my foldaway rain poncho gets a new flag at each holiday destination
    With a hole you may need some backing material (2 flags)

MrGoatsmilk
    18 Jun 2012 - 8:42 AM

Worth trying an old fashioned dry cleaners or cobblers as they have industrial sewing machines and would probably be able to sort it for a couple of quid.

I had some leather straps fitted to a motorcycle jacket once buy the above type of shop and they did a great job and cost next to nothing.

HTH

Stu

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.