Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Payment For Images in Magazine

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
davidbailie
davidbailie e2 Member 10428 forum postsdavidbailie vcard United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2008 - 12:09 PM

Would be pleased for some solid awareness 'ball park' advice on what one can ask for a 1/4 page in a photo monthly mag (distribution 26000 +-) used as a tutorial for PS manipulation and included as low res on DVD distributed with mag -

Ta very much

db

Last Modified By davidbailie at 20 Dec 2008 - 12:10 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Dec 2008 - 12:09 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
20 Dec 2008 - 12:12 PM

I would suggest 30 - 40 Smile

davidbailie
davidbailie e2 Member 10428 forum postsdavidbailie vcard United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2008 - 12:19 PM

Cheers Barry appreciate the straightforward answer - Interesting!

They offered approx twice that - if you're right I should have bitten their hand off!

After a bit of research into figures I suggested about 4 times would be more appropriate - again - If you're right I hope they see my suggestion as being a negotiating stance - Smile - which indeed it was intended as!

Thanks again

db

Last Modified By davidbailie at 20 Dec 2008 - 12:20 PM
User_Removed
20 Dec 2008 - 12:22 PM

It's not really an exact science. My figure was probably more like the minimum you should ask for particularly for a photography genre magazine who are notoriously poor payers.

The budget publications have varies enormously. Some big circulation mags pay very little and others a huge amount. I had 250 for a DPS recently and yet another magazine paid me that for a single page. 1/4 page in a magazine, isn't that big so if they've offered you a good price, well done Smile

Good luck

Last Modified By User_Removed at 20 Dec 2008 - 12:23 PM
davidbailie
20 Dec 2008 - 12:28 PM

Quote: It's not really an exact science...

- like so much and precisely why I asked the question..

Some years ago when we set up our furniture making business (my partner & I had been one man makers ) - we had absolutely no idea how to start pricing and decided simply to double our previous prices - even this though turned out to be on the low side -

We were however in a high end low competion business - unlike the happy snapper business which I'm dipping my toe into Smile

thanks again

db

Last Modified By davidbailie at 20 Dec 2008 - 12:31 PM
ZenTog
ZenTog  127875 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2008 - 12:53 PM

reckon 50 top end down to as low as 20
pictures are coming cheaper to buy for editors all the time, with a lotm ore free stuff being offered, you did agree payment terms before print ??
I have just had 50 for digital arts magazine to use one of my pics in a montage setting, and on a disc, not that much but 50 iin the bank is better than in their bank
the days of huge amounts for magazine pics is dissapearing rapidly, take hte money on offer bank it and get onto the next job

Last Modified By ZenTog at 20 Dec 2008 - 12:57 PM
agoreira
agoreira  106001 forum posts Wales
20 Dec 2008 - 12:56 PM

Quote: Some big circulation mags pay very little and others a huge amount.

I can vouch for the former! Wink I have just billed the County Council for shots they have used for next years main tourist brochure, and their rates are notoriously low, but as a non pro, I'm happy to accept it. Wink For instance, very small shots, will probably pay around 40, slightly larger, 50, and I've managed to have the front cover, but that's only 100. But they often buy several, the best I've had is 12 in one go, so that then becomes quite profitable for me. There is next to no negociation, that's the price, if you don't want it, I know someone that does! Wink Even though it doesn't pay well, I see several local pro togs listed in the Contributing Photographers list, so they are obviously happy to accept the low rates as well.

ZenTog
ZenTog  127875 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2008 - 12:58 PM

Bread and butter money for the local pro togs, puts meat on the table as they say

agoreira
20 Dec 2008 - 1:05 PM

Quote:
I have just had 50 for digital arts magazine to use one of my pics in a montage setting, and on a disc, not thwt much but 50 iin the bank is better than in their bank
the days of huge amounts for magazine pics is dissapearing rapidly, take hte money on offer bank it and get onto the next job

This wasn't up when I posted, but, yes, I agree. And with so many delighted to have their shots in a mag for no payment, it's not surprising when they do pay it is quite low. I don't have a problem with people giving their stuff away, it's theirs to do what they want with, and you can't blame the editors for opting for free or cheap shots. There are also some fanciful figures quoted on here at times, so it may come as a shock to be told your shot is only worth 30! Wink

agoreira
20 Dec 2008 - 1:07 PM

Quote: Bread and butter money for the local pro togs, puts meat on the table as they say

So long as I'm not stealing the meat off their table, I'm happy! Wink

davidbailie
20 Dec 2008 - 1:38 PM

Thanks for all your responses - most of the arguments went through my mind -

'Giving them away' - wouldn't do that where they were making money - I do do free work as an actor where it helps say students or an up and coming director - but on principle if anyone makes money out of me I want a portion of that ??

I does look in this case as though I may have been somewhat ambitious - nothing agreed yet - Put it down as a learning experience. Sad

One of the phrases that has appealed to me over the years is - "if you're going to go out of business - at least do it overcharging rather than undercharging" Smile

thanks again

db

MikefromEbbw
21 Dec 2008 - 6:51 AM

Quote: Thanks for all your responses - most of the arguments went through my mind -

'Giving them away' - wouldn't do that where they were making money - I do do free work as an actor where it helps say students or an up and coming director - but on principle if anyone makes money out of me I want a portion of that ??

db

I agree.I dont mind my pics being used for free for educational (Zoos,Schools) or member funded organisations (local Bird groups) purposes but if they are making money from them I will charge.Always keep the copyright though and make this clear to the client before the sale.

ray1
ray1  9511 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
21 Dec 2008 - 9:59 AM

If you get a copy of the photographers freelance handbook it shows what different magazines etc pay.

User_Removed
21 Dec 2008 - 10:03 AM

Nice theory Ray but in practice, it can be nothing but a guide and a very rough one at that.

As rule of thumb, all picture buyers will pay as little as they can get away with which is why so called 'vanity publishing' harms the market so much

agoreira
22 Dec 2008 - 8:01 PM

Quote:
As rule of thumb, all picture buyers will pay as little as they can get away

Too true! Just had an e-mail from Photographers Direct, an in flight magazine wants a photo, and it says,
"in-flight magazine. English language magazine. Size is still to be determined though 70 is a usual fee for a 1/2 page image."
Plus PD have a cut of that! Wink So I'll be lucky if I clear 40-45! Hardly worth the effort, but I suppose I'll go ahead with it! Wink If I don't, someone else will.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.