Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Payments via Mobile Phone: Security

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139450 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 1:42 PM

I like to think I keep (reasonably) up to date with technology but there are times when I just hesitate a bit, usually on the grounds of security.

I'm probably way behind the times, in that I have never made a payment via mobile phone. I've recently been prompted to make such a payment; and get directed to a site called Bango, to enter my credit card details.

Whilst I happily send such details across the WWW without a second thought, so long as it is a secure site, I just wondered how secure are these mobile sites. Are there any downsides as compared with web purchases? Thanks. Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Oct 2012 - 1:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53627 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 3:55 PM

Hi CB,
I've validated things with my phone via txt and calls etc, and do login to the occasional site - but like you would be sceptical to add a credit card into this site i'd never heard of before.

A quick Google to me suggests they are a new company with facebook links, so it may well be legit. and other sites are talking about them
"Milestone follows recent partnership with Facebook.
Bango's operator billing solution enables consumers to pay for items via their phone bill with one click, and it's now available to more than one billion mobile subscribers."

A new company does raise concerns about data security though...

mohikan22
mohikan22  102188 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 3:59 PM

i use paypal for payments from my phone. login via web and pay. job done.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139450 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 4:12 PM

I'd be happy to use Paypal, but it doesn't seem to be an option, Matt.

Thanks for the comments, Stuart. Smile

mikehit
mikehit  56474 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 6:58 PM

The site may be secure, but what about your phone? On-phone vrus software is still in its infancy and they could harbour all sorts of nasties.

newfocus
newfocus  8644 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 9:31 PM

I'm suspicious of this too, because of the issue above about phone security rather than the security of websites taking the payments. My desktop sits behind a firewall/router, is well locked down security-wise and is regularly scanned, whereas my phone is essentially connected straight to a public network with all sorts of random possibilities for attack as far as I can tell.

If anyone knows better, it'd be good to hear just how secure or not phone payments are and why, because making payments via mobile would be convenient at times.

scottishphototours

I don't trust the web, full stop. I keep a credit card specifically for paying for things online but would never use a debit card online.

I would never dream of using my phone to pay for anything or to upload details via one. Mine got hacked last year in Tenerife and they sent out begging emails (and very convincingly too) to over 200 contacts from my email list. Many tried to help by calling me to offer to send money. Just goes to show you how horribly insecure the web via phones is...

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012604 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 9:58 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20025973

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 10:03 PM

Interesting link AOAP - the more technologically advanced we become the more avenues we open to being spammed or ripped off!

Last Modified By Pete at 24 Oct 2012 - 11:10 AM
Carabosse
24 Oct 2012 - 12:14 AM

Thanks for all the comments. Looks like something to avoid!

leylandrichard
24 Oct 2012 - 10:19 AM

Dear All

I run Marketing Communications for Bango and am based in the UK. I've read all these comments and agree fully that users should be mindful of security on their phone. I do want to correct a couple of things though: Bango has actually been around providing mobile payment services for merchants selling on the mobile web, since 1999. We do this for hundreds of outlets, including Facebook, BlackBerry, Opera, Microsoft... We're a publicly listed company (AIM: BGO). The reason you might not have heard of us is because we're not a consumer brand - We sit behind consumer brands powering payment. However I hope you can be assured that we're real and secure!

Many thanks
Richard Leyland
Bango.

Carabosse
24 Oct 2012 - 11:31 AM

Thank you for joining to give us this info, Richard. Smile

I would be interested to hear a little more about your data security for mobile payments and, in particular, how it compares with systems for payments via the internet?

leylandrichard
24 Oct 2012 - 12:25 PM

Sure - The best thing I can point you to is the following from our knowledge base: http://bango.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/485

I'm not sure I can make much of a comparison with other providers as we're compliant with global standards, and I would assume all other providers are too. Probably the best advice is to always check the compliance of any provider that you use.

The majority of the payments we handle are actually not credit card, but operator billing - whereby the charge is direct to your phone bill - Many users report that this makes them feel more comfortable (and is obviously much easier than entering a credit card 's details).

Thanks

thewilliam
24 Oct 2012 - 12:25 PM

Remember just how easily the tabloid papers were able to hack into mobile phone messages.

When one colleague was getting divorced, her private detective was able to hack into and record pretty well all the calls that her now ex-husband was making. Such recordings can't be used as evidence in any Court but are a useful asset in the investigation.

My father was an research engineer in the telephone industry for most of his career and used to warn me that no (ordinary) phone line was secure. It isn't safe to say anything over a phone line that we wouldn't write on an open postcard and send through the mail!

mikehit
mikehit  56474 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2012 - 1:01 PM

The hacking was so easy because people did not change their password from the manuacturer's default. Most companies have now changed it so the system asks you to change the password when you use it for the first time - and through that the hacking by the newspapers would not have been anywhere near as easy nowadays.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.