Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

PC Help - Again...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    scottishphototours

Thanks to everyone that helped me originally, but after this thread I am back to square one.

When powered on, the pc fans kick in and run for 2 seconds then run down, then run for 2 seconds, then run down....but it never boots.

Yesterday, it sat doing this for 2 hours. I reseated the memory simms and it booted immediately. Today I reseated the simms and its failed to boot up again. It's still going through this fans on/off routine and won't boot.

I fitted a new power supply last week and its been ok, but now it's back to doing what it was doing before I fitted the new power supply. Another thing that happens is that it can be powered up and stable for hours, then it'll suddenly lose video (white screen) and freezes. It had never done this in the last 2 years, so I removed the video card and cleaned the fan and vents.

I had a trojan last week that both McAfee and MS Security caught and cleaned. I also bought RegAce and used this to clean the system registry, but its made no difference.

If there are any PC experts that can suggest anything, please go ahead....I've a mountain of work to get through!

Thanks

Andy

Last Modified By scottishphototours at 20 Mar 2013 - 5:01 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Mar 2013 - 5:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

paulcookphotography

Its possible your graphics card is causing your issues. Try removing your card and using the onboard graphics on the boot up and let it run for a while

scottishphototours

Nah, removed everything but the board and psu and it's still the same. Removed bios battery and reset bios and still the same. Refitted old psu and still the same...AAAAHHHHHH!!!!

My pc guru locally thinks its a pcb issue and has said that this is a common fault on Dell machines!...very worrying, and as he services hundreds of them for the local college, he should know.

Main pcb was replaced in Nov 2012 so am chasing a replacement. Thanks for help.

Andy

paulcookphotography

My sister had similar symptoms in her dell desktop and as far as i remember they said it was the northbridge overheating on the motherboard. It is a worry when you hear the dreaded 'common fault' though. Fingers crossed the replacement does better for you

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.