Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

PC or laptop, what computer should I get?

Goggie 6 33 United Kingdom
9 Nov 2012 3:27PM
Thanks Stephen. My current monitor is Asus and although small screen, it hasn't let me down. Will take a look at the site.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rhousham 7 432 United Kingdom
9 Nov 2012 11:25PM
I would stick with a desktop - the chances are that you will save some money on monitors, keyboard mouse and speakers - as well as anything extra you might have.

With the trouble you have had in the past have you thought about a mac - they do run very well like for years and years and might be worth the extra money if you have it (food for thought) mmmm
Richard
Goggie 6 33 United Kingdom
9 Nov 2012 11:54PM
I would love a mac but have so much software that I don't think will run well and too expensive to replace. Nice thought though.
User_Removed 7 17 5 United Kingdom
10 Nov 2012 5:36PM
Thank you everyone for your comments and thoughts.

I have bought a Lenovo (made by IBM) with 2Tb hard drive, 16Gb RAM, Intel Core i7 3.4Ghz processor............. and it all comes in a lovely cardboard box!!!

It has Windows 8 so I have to get my head round that and I now have to load my programs set it all up.
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
11 Nov 2012 12:24AM
Your Lenovo isn't made by IBM, salespeople are fond of telling customers that but Lenovo is actually a Chinese brand that bought some of IBM's personal computer division.

Your PC sounds a fab spec though, hope it works well for you.
14 Nov 2012 10:14AM
With a D800 and an old laptop I am starting to get to grips with this.
My 4.5 year lap top had a much better specification than my then 5 year old desk top - and I had the essential for good image editing decent separate monitor.
Depending on how old whatever you have is, 64 bit is faster than 32 bit, an i1.7 processor (I think I got that bit right) is much faster, USB 3 is much faster, and I gather solid state hard drives are faster as well.
I think it fair to say whatever you buy 300-400 is lower than ideal for a top performing image editing PC and a good screen.
pete146uk 2 25 1 United Kingdom
14 Nov 2012 10:05PM
I have been a supporter of Windows for many years. I have a desktop PC running XP which I have always used for photo processing and storage. I have an 18" Samsung Laptop running Windows 7 for every day use and a 14" Asus laptop for portability.

Recently I have got sick of Windows. My main problems - no matter how careful you are, over time they start to get sluggish, they fill up with junk. You can install software to prevent this, but then you slow down your system because you're running extra software!

I have never been particularly happy with the number of things I can do at once without losing speed - e.g. open a few programs and things slow down, even thought I've always kept reasonably up to date. The samsung is 1 yr old with a decent spec but just doesn't run great.

I find that every year or so I end up doing a full backup and reformat just to try to get my computer back to how it should be.

2 weeks ago I took the plunge, and went for a 2011 Imac. It was 2nd hand from ebay, but came with 2 yrs 6months apple care. 27" monitor, I7 3.4 processor, 16gb ram - 1,400.

Now it's a lot of expense.....But, I could see the differences immediately. Everything is faster - I can run Lightroom, PS, and 6-7 other programs all processing files and there is just no lack of performance! Within 25 seconds of pressing the power button I can be online and surfing the internet. Start photoshop and it's loaded in 2-3 seconds etc etc.

The main difference is - with every windows machine I've ever had, I've ran into at least a small problem within a few days of buying it. Probably user error, but always something. With the Imac absolutely nothing! It just doesn't go wrong, and it makes everything you want to do so easy and intuitive!

If you want to uninstall a program, drag it's icon to trash - it's gone! No messy uninstall that leaves file fragments all over your system etc.

If you have an iphone/ipad then it's amazing. Text messages appear on the screen, you can facetime on the Imac, calendars and emails synch etc.

People told me that I could buy a PC with the same spec as a Mac for a fraction of the price and it will perform just as well. Not true. It will perform just as fast, but only for a short time, and it just simply won't do anything as well as the Mac does it - it's just a superior operating system that has been built with the user in mind at every stage.

The price is definitely too much for many people, I understand that. But the original poster says he has had a number of windows machines, including some custom builds. Perhaps it's time to cut your losses and stop throwing more money at Windows - Just put the money all together and buy an Imac! Smile

Just one other point - I agree with everybody else. For me, the most important thing for photo editing is the screen - the bigger and highest resolution the better for photo editing. I would not want to do any serious processing on any machine that can be classed as 'portable'. Again an Imac is ideal
15 Nov 2012 1:08PM
It's hilarious that you spend 1400 quid on a computer with 16gb of RAM and now can run more programs without the computer slowing down and you think it's because you changed operating system!

It's because you spent 1400 quid on a computer with 16gb of RAM.

Quote: calendars and emails synch etc.

What's new or unique about that? You trying to justify spending a grand and a half? Grin
lobsterboy e2
11 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
15 Nov 2012 1:27PM

Quote: Within 25 seconds of pressing the power button I can be online and surfing the internet.

Blimey that's slow -I'd get your drive checked out if I were you.
15 Nov 2012 3:00PM

Quote:2 weeks ago I took the plunge

Quote:People told me that I could buy a PC with the same spec as a Mac for a fraction of the price and it will perform just as well. Not true. It will perform just as fast, but only for a short time, and it just simply won't do anything as well as the Mac does it

LMAO!
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
15 Nov 2012 3:03PM
A second-hand Mac for 1400. Bargain! Tongue

Quote:LMAO!

Indeed! Grin
15 Nov 2012 3:19PM
I love how every computing topic on epz eventually degrades into a mac vs pc debate Smile
rhol2 e2
3 320 1 United Kingdom
15 Nov 2012 3:33PM

Quote:I love how every computing topic on epz eventually degrades into a mac vs pc debate Smile

It's very entertaining for the non-partisans though.Wink
lawbert 7 1.8k 15 England
15 Nov 2012 3:42PM

Quote:I love how every computing topic on epz eventually degrades into a mac vs pc debate Smile

Are you Mac or PC David?

When you get home after an office full of comps you must have a little something that you use?!!
15 Nov 2012 3:52PM
Are you Mac or PC David? Both

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.