Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

PC or Mac?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

redsnappa
redsnappa  111895 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Jan 2009 - 3:28 PM

With 900 you can buy an average Mac or a very High specced PC

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Jan 2009 - 3:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

stolzy
stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2009 - 3:31 PM

Quote: Give us some examples of the problems. Also how old was the windows kit. Would replacing it with up to date stuff have solved your problems? It is a trend of advancing IT that you spend less maintaining it.

Life's not long enough.
I hold no brief for Apple - in fact I'd prefer it if people didn't buy them - it would prolong the current hiatus in viruses for Mac OS.
All I can say regarding the maintenance issue is that it was a step change from XP to mac os x. It was accomplished against some heavy resistance from users, but not one of them would go back to windows PC now - there'd be a riot if I even suggested it.

stolzy
stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2009 - 3:32 PM

Quote: With 900 you can buy an average Mac or a very High specced PC

But the (windows) PC would come with windows not Mac OS X

Last Modified By stolzy at 31 Jan 2009 - 3:32 PM
timcordell
timcordell  1026 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Jan 2009 - 4:25 PM

i have a pc and a macbook black and the mac wins hands down, tim

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014002 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2009 - 4:26 PM

Quote: But the (windows) PC would come with windows not Mac OS X

So you win on two counts...brilliant!

Foreversideways

Only one option i am afraid and is nothing to do with Bill Gates !!!

MAC

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314803 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2009 - 7:56 PM

I been using linux on a spare pc, for web and office applications it just flies and the seven year old machine seems to run faster than my two year old Dell.

Adding Wine adds the ability to run pc based software like CS2.

Screen calibrations still a bit iffy though Linux machines are getting there slowly.

At least for the time being I would stick with windows.

aitchbrown
aitchbrown e2 Member 8247 forum postsaitchbrown vcard United Kingdom
31 Jan 2009 - 8:05 PM

Once on a MAC you never go back.

f1mo
f1mo  9 United Kingdom
31 Jan 2009 - 8:56 PM

If you are intending to use MS Office base application, i have to say it is faster on the PC as the controls and navigation is more simpler.

I have a work laptop which is windows base and my personal laptop is a MacBook. I love my Mac, it is solid, never had any virus problems over the past two years, rarely crashes as i do not turn the laptop off, keep shutting the lid, try that a few times on a Windows base laptop and a crash will be imminent.

For multimedia applications Mac anytime, it is easier, faster and more productive and stable. You can get MS Office on Mac now also, this too has its positive and negative side. Positive, you can have more fancy looking work, negative, it is not a productive.

Mac's are also ready to go from the day you buy it, every basic software is included with decent Photo, video, music packages (iLife). So you will save lots of money buy not having to buy software to get the PC up and running.

If you want the best of both worlds go for the Mac and get Boot Camp, you can then run windows and Mac on the same platform. Can a PC do that?

I will also recommend you going to a shop and getting a demo on the Mac. I was a little cautious moving away from PC, but I am now a complete Mac convert and love it!!

eonisuk
eonisuk  7108 forum posts England
4 Feb 2009 - 6:03 PM

Quote: If you have to ask you are a PC user! Just enter the real world and buy a bl**dy MAC. It's like Nikon, once you have used one you will never want to use anything else!!!

not sure about that i like my canon and i have heard that most nikons are slower than canons

eonisuk
eonisuk  7108 forum posts England
4 Feb 2009 - 6:07 PM

well thanks for all your comments it looks like a hung jury so as the company has just given me some money for being a good egg and snappy dresser i might have to try the mac and being duty free i might invest in the next one up

the only thing that i would want on that would be 4gb ram would if i took the one i am thinking of buying to a apple retailer and asked them to put in the extra 2gb ram would that null and void the warranty

thanks again for your imput

eon

User_Removed
4 Feb 2009 - 7:36 PM

Don't think so as long as it's Apple supplied RAM, i guess you could get them to fit it too maaybe - best to ask them though I think. Welcome to the world of MAC........you will love it.

Patrick_Moran
5 Feb 2009 - 12:51 AM

get mac

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2009 - 8:03 AM

Quote: Don't think so as long as it's Apple supplied RAM,

Well, that is misleading nonsense. I've had no problems buying and fitting RAM from non-Apple sources for my PowerMac. I'm sure it would be the same story for my new MacBook but I bought that with a maxed-out configuration.

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2009 - 8:05 AM

Quote: One born every minute

Do you mean Mac vs. PC threads, Chris?

Or Windows malware, perhaps? Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.