Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

PC to Mac

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

User_Removed
27 Dec 2011 - 7:26 PM

I'm thinking of jumping off the PC ship and getting on the Mac one.

Has anyone done this?
Is it a move worth making?

What's your thoughts please.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Dec 2011 - 7:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lemmy
lemmy  71938 forum posts United Kingdom
27 Dec 2011 - 7:37 PM

Presuming you use Photoshop and Lightroom. it's hard to see what difference it makes.

I use PCs now, used to use Macs professionally. The Macs used to have a better interface but these days Windows is so slick there is no material difference.

I have no bias one way or the other and I use an iPad in preference to other tablets. But for a desktop, unless your major concern is looks, there would be no point in changing.

User_Removed
27 Dec 2011 - 7:47 PM

OK David. Thanks for your reply.

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
27 Dec 2011 - 7:49 PM

The acid test is how do you like your displays. If you get bugged by very glossy reflective screens then the apple offering will bug the hell out of you, ask Cathy or search for her thread. I avoid it because believe it or not it trigger migraines in me. I changed a screen at work and they left as quickly as they started, its a person to person thing, some people will never notice others will get bugged by it. So for me display choice is a big thing. But those reflective glossy screens are a triumph of style over function and a real turn off for a photo editing machine.

After that what is the difference again, the OS is a trivial thing and there is not a lot of difference. Just replaced my old base station with a Quad core i5 with 6G of RAM and retained the monitor. It flys through RAW processing and all my license files transferred across though I did have to download a few 64 bit versions of some of the programs.

User_Removed
27 Dec 2011 - 7:52 PM

Its a ridiculous move. Invest elsewhere.

User_Removed
27 Dec 2011 - 7:53 PM

Thanks John.

I need to know why Swwils?

User_Removed
27 Dec 2011 - 7:55 PM

Just ask anyone with knowledge what PC to get; for the price of an imac you can easily get a wtfbbq powerful PC with a very nice monitor.

I run a 2500k with 8GB RAM, 32GB SSD, 1 TB HDD, HD 5750 GPU and 2 Dell 27" IPS 110% adobe gamut panels for 1400 total, and all from quality brands to boot. - Would love to see that in an imac...

Last Modified By User_Removed at 27 Dec 2011 - 7:59 PM
CaptivePhotons
CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111561 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
27 Dec 2011 - 7:55 PM

I looked at this and I found for the price of a basic mac, I could buy a far better specced PC.

User_Removed
27 Dec 2011 - 7:56 PM

Ok Graham, thanks.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 27 Dec 2011 - 7:57 PM
CaptivePhotons
CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111561 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
27 Dec 2011 - 7:59 PM

I should add that if money were no object I would probably buy a mac though Tongue

User_Removed
27 Dec 2011 - 8:00 PM

Quote: I should add that if money were no object I would probably buy a mac though Tongue

I still wouldn't, just buy the PC and then torrent "hackintosh OSX". - If you are really that obsessive about having idiotOS.

I mean **** even ubuntu is idiotproof now.

preview.jpg

Last Modified By User_Removed at 27 Dec 2011 - 8:05 PM
User_Removed
27 Dec 2011 - 8:02 PM

Quote: I should add that if money were no object I would probably buy a mac though

Thanks Graham.

Louise_Morris
Louise_Morris e2 Member 42396 forum postsLouise_Morris vcard England
27 Dec 2011 - 8:35 PM

OK I'll be different then - I made the move back in May this year and no way would I go back to a PC - everything on the Mac just "works" - no hassle, no bugs just works when you want it to & how you want it to. I'm no techno bunny though and it did cost lots more but my feelings are that it was definitely worth the jump! Thats just my opinion though! (Also lots more programmes are now cross platform which they didn't used to be)

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
27 Dec 2011 - 8:42 PM

Quote: everything on the Mac just "works"

Is there a modern system that this is not true on. Even Linux just works these days.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014914 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
27 Dec 2011 - 9:26 PM

Most systems that don't work today is usually finger trouble.Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.