Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PC to Mac

User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
27 Dec 2011 9:44PM
Lemmy is spot on.

Quote:I'm thinking of jumping off the PC ship and getting on the Mac one.

Why?

Is it because you see them product placed in trendy TV shows? Is it because you see the price and imagine they must be better? Is it because people said Steve Jobs was a genius?

What's made you wonder about em?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 5 1.4k England
27 Dec 2011 10:15PM
12621249--1-.jpg

Andy80F e2
11 311 United Kingdom
27 Dec 2011 10:17PM
My wife wanted a PC in the house as she uses that platform at work and hates having to ask how to do something on the Mac. So as Christmas is also her birthday I bought her a laptop. Its a lovely Samsung laptop with Windows 7 and is easy to use and I'm having great fun helping set it up.

We also had to but an iMac on Christmas eve as the one I had been using as a server for many years went kaput. Set up and running is a quicker than the PC but not too much in it. The PC and windows 7 is nice, it has many of the same ideas that has been on OSX for a while and some of its own which are good and I can not fault her choice. But swapping between the platforms really shows the hype about Macs is based in reality, they are a quality item and the OS is better, it feels more sorted, more unified and is quicker to use. I enjoy footering with computers and gadgets and like the PC but if work is to be done the Mac will be first choice (and is most definitely worth that bit extra).

Andy
27 Dec 2011 10:19PM

Quote: but if work is to be done the Mac will be first choice

Problem is that you do not use your computers for computing. Essentially you just threw money away for a freeBSD skin.
Zatoichi 5 707 United Kingdom
27 Dec 2011 10:24PM
Have both and Mac is superior. Simple. Grin
edrhodes e2
9 540 12 United Kingdom
27 Dec 2011 10:26PM
Gerry, I changed over to Mac almost two years ago. It's a pleasure to use after year of frustration with windows, never had a problem and would totally recommend it

But I bet somebody close will have a different view......Wink
User_Removed 12 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
27 Dec 2011 10:30PM
OK thanks Andy & Zatoichi for your input.

And thanks Ed. Very helpful. (Don't worry about the 'Somebody close'. I never do.....Wink )
27 Dec 2011 10:31PM
This explains it all.

b184716392.jpg

Amazingly. Me, Chris_L and strawman fall into the "driving transmission at fastass speeds with nothing to protect us". Others, notsomuch.

You are paying out your arse for hardware available cheaper in other systems and a theme of operation that is free from other sources. - That is the reality of mac hype.
27 Dec 2011 11:16PM

Quote:This explains it all - That is the reality of mac hype.

Oh, you've used one? I'm curious what you didn't like? I'm still only 10 months into one and I really struggle to see why windows is the more popular. I find every windows OS to become unstable with heavy use. My experience of windows can be summarised as slow, glitchy, freezes, crashes and eventually refuses to work, fortunately I have a system to rebuild quickly. The mac is faster in terms of processing speed, has never froze or glitched and is much more user friendly. So what can I expect to go wrong?
27 Dec 2011 11:19PM

Quote:So what can I expect to go wrong?

Repair permissions Grin

I hope he goes and blows a load of dosh on one. The power of marketing lol
27 Dec 2011 11:35PM

Quote:So what can I expect to go wrong?

Repair permissions Grin

I hope he goes and blows a load of dosh on one. The power of marketing lol

Funny really. My mac manual tells me how to take the back of the mac, replace hd's, add ram, replace the battery - thats just what I remember reading 10 months ago, as I say I haven't needed to refer to the manual since. Do that to a PC and you're on your own, take it to a shop with a screw missing......

So I assume you've used one to Chris, what did you not like? I have one, I'd really like to know.
27 Dec 2011 11:40PM

Quote:Oh, you've used one? I'm curious what you didn't like?

The sheer price, it had redundant functions everywhere, the context menus are stupid, the lack of tactile controls, the fact that it is the SAME as free OS interfaces, the lack of customization options, its inability to properly package/unpackage data in compressed formats, the lack of codec support, the lack of file standards, the issues with its terminal, its network manager doesn't allow simultaneous DSL connections to be shared randomly between applications, the lack of software support, the demolition of standards, the fact that the only real people with knowledge are apple employees, the lack of hardware upgrades and choice, the poor quality of the SSD memory, the specification did not meet its price point, the screen is not accurate in colour or gamma, I cant use hardly any of my legacy devices with it, I had to buy an adapter just to output to DVI / HDMI.

Now I can expect people to pick holes in linux/windows OS's but these are correctable - I COULD NOT fix this issues with the mac as the framework to do so IS NOT THERE.

What can I expect to go wrong? I just bought a £1600 facebook machine for the pure reason of being cool and making my friends like me more. Holy ****, all it does is sit on a browser and photoshop - two things which have so little to do with the OS that I will ignore the fact that when I threw a .mkg at it it fell over multiple times eventually ending up in me paying for a 3rd party software.

Wait a second, I just had to visit the appstore to BUY a mainsteam codec for this thing?! and I was THANKFUL that apple gave that choice to me... MADNESS - touché Apple computer co. Touché.

They are great machines for users who have limited capacity for doing anything. If you want to do the stuff computers do you either have to:
1. pay for an asshat solution.
2. forget about it.

Slightly different process as to what happens on other OS's...
User_Removed 12 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
28 Dec 2011 12:08AM
Ok, thanks Lemmy, Strawman, Graham, Louise, Straycat, Andy, Zatoichi and Ed.
Good bit of info there to think about so thanks again for your time and replies. Wink
28 Dec 2011 12:08AM

Quote:I assume you've used one to Chris, what did you not like? I have one, I'd really like to know.

I hated that it wouldn't run industry standard design software like AutoCAD and 3D StudioMax. I hated that I was developing websites that had to work on the latest version of Internet Explorer but I couldn't run the latest version of IE on the Mac to test them. I hated that I couldn't play games against my friends because they weren't available for the Mac. I hated that I couldn't pick up spare parts cheaply. I hated that the £30 scanner I saw wouldn't work on a Mac. I hated going into WHSmiths and having the choice of one magazine. I hated that it wouldn't play standard video formats.

I still don't understand what it is that people think they can do on a Mac that they can't do on a PC and why they should pay through the nose for it. Maybe they're fashion victims?
28 Dec 2011 12:53AM

Quote:Oh, you've used one? I'm curious what you didn't like?

The sheer price, it had redundant functions everywhere, the context menus are stupid, the lack of tactile controls, the fact that it is the SAME as free OS interfaces, the lack of customization options, its inability to properly package/unpackage data in compressed formats, the lack of codec support, the lack of file standards, the issues with its terminal, its network manager doesn't allow simultaneous DSL connections to be shared randomly between applications, the lack of software support, the demolition of standards, the fact that the only real people with knowledge are apple employees, the lack of hardware upgrades and choice, the poor quality of the SSD memory, the specification did not meet its price point, the screen is not accurate in colour or gamma, I cant use hardly any of my legacy devices with it, I had to buy an adapter just to output to DVI / HDMI.

Now I can expect people to pick holes in linux/windows OS's but these are correctable - I COULD NOT fix this issues with the mac as the framework to do so IS NOT THERE.

What can I expect to go wrong? I just bought a £1600 facebook machine for the pure reason of being cool and making my friends like me more. Holy ****, all it does is sit on a browser and photoshop - two things which have so little to do with the OS that I will ignore the fact that when I threw a .mkg at it it fell over multiple times eventually ending up in me paying for a 3rd party software.

Wait a second, I just had to visit the appstore to BUY a mainsteam codec for this thing?! and I was THANKFUL that apple gave that choice to me... MADNESS - touché Apple computer co. Touché.

They are great machines for users who have limited capacity for doing anything. If you want to do the stuff computers do you either have to:
1. pay for an asshat solution.
2. forget about it.

Slightly different process as to what happens on other OS's...

Yes they're. expensive. Some other stuff - I don't really know what you mean and could guarantee most others wont - even other stuff - is just your opinion without explanation and a hint of cynicism Tongue

I haven't seen a free interface that compares, maybe a link to one? Ever tried running photoshop on linux, its hilarious!

There's a PC and laptop (both Win 7 Pro) that won't talk to each other. The mac shows up and talks to both. I don't need HDMI because it streams to the TV through the router. The only compression problem I've had has been with rar files, what should I use to extract them into an image or should I just kill myself now Tongue

I guess its what you want it to do and how you use it. PC's are high maintenance and get slower with time. The mac hasn't yet. I don't maintain the SSD in the mac, OSX does it for me. It does need attention in the PC.

Facebook and making people like me, you're having a laugh, you still pay for software Tongue

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.