Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

PC to Mac

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

BHSnapper
BHSnapper  5 United Kingdom
13 May 2012 - 11:01 PM

But with Android, you can't run some (to me anyway) vital programs, like, Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. Then Gimp (if it's available on Android) is promising but lags behind PS in some very important ways. Unless Android can run a Windows emulator of course! Are you talking of tablets or desktops? I assume you're talking of ICS?
(Some of the young brainy people I know use Macs!! Or PCs with Windows 7 soon to become 8.)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 May 2012 - 11:01 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keith selmes
14 May 2012 - 12:34 AM

Just kidding really, but things are opening out a bit, the mac v windows debate, or heated argument, may fade into history quite soon.
The future is supposed to be platform independant and cloud oriented, and as tablets go quad core, and broadband is going leaps and bounds faster, that doesn't look too silly.
I think many of us will still be using our desktop computers, of whatever flavour, for graphics, video and 3d work, but we might be a minority. The majority needs can be catered for by on line services through web browsers, so it doesn't matter what device you use. Windows 8 is certainly intended for that environment.
I'm not sure how far that goes with photo editing.

The "young" part is tongue in cheek as well. I hear a lot about young people, or about new university students, apparently being digital natives and all having smartphones and tablets. It's not really true, but since I use a tablet daily, I guess they're saying I'm younger generation! See Dilbert ...

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2011-08-03/

There is some truth in this, but the cartoon is just making the point that things are changing.

Pat_Stones
14 May 2012 - 10:23 AM

I was just reading about new storage features in Windows 8. The plan is to have self-healing storage space. You designate a number of drives (apparently doesn't matter if internal, external, cloud, USB, SATA, 3.5inch, 2.5inch, big or small) Windows 8 pools them creating several virtual drives that are automatically backed up / mirrored.

george-dan
14 May 2012 - 10:42 AM

i have just jumped ship and got myself an imac ,so far so good the images look so much better ,it was easy to setup as well Wink

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
14 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

I am intrigued you think your images look better as at a give price point the alternative to mac glossy screens are superior. Your old display must have been badly set up or of poor quality.

Having picked up an Android Tablet recently I am impressed at how much you can get done and how well the cloud features work. Having office documents synch through the cloud to my home computer is great and the fact I can log on through a web browser on any machine makes it so handy. Just had a call from an insurance provider about level of cover required and being able to call up the info on the nearest web connected PC is so handy.

I honestly think the OS being important days are behind us, it is the applications that matter. Being able to have applications work across platforms is going to be more important. It is like cameras lenses lock you to the camera maker and you really want freedom.

george-dan
14 May 2012 - 2:56 PM

well i suppose the images look so much better because going from a 15.4" screen to a 27" would make them look better ! but so far i would also say the os is much better as well.

Pat_Stones
14 May 2012 - 3:51 PM

What OS were you using previously? What is it the new one does better?

User_Removed
14 May 2012 - 4:44 PM

Is there a prize for the longest thread ever started? Wink

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96097 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
14 May 2012 - 4:53 PM

Quote: Is there a prize for the longest thread ever started? Wink

Well I'd be in with a fair chance of winning maybe? My thread here....... beats the pants off this one Tongue

mikehit
mikehit  56691 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
14 May 2012 - 5:41 PM

Deleted (senile post). Tongue

Last Modified By mikehit at 14 May 2012 - 5:42 PM
george-dan
14 May 2012 - 8:00 PM

(What OS were you using previously? What is it the new one does better?)i have got three laptops they have xp/ vista/7 , they are so different each time ,nothing wrong with those but i have now got this imac & i worked it out in less than a day.it just seems so easy Grin Wink

Last Modified By george-dan at 14 May 2012 - 8:01 PM
User_Removed
14 May 2012 - 8:45 PM

Hey Ali. I see I have a way to go before catching you......so to speak! Wink

Still get good comments about your calendar. Hope you're well.

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96097 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
14 May 2012 - 10:32 PM

Hi Gerry - I'm doing fine thanks - just not enough hours in the blasted evening to get everything done at the moment - which is proving a tad frustrating Smile I'll survive.......

I must think about what I'm going to do for next years calendar - the way time is going by I'm going to be caught out with no decent stuff to put in it!

User_Removed
14 May 2012 - 10:37 PM

Quote: I'm going to be caught out with no decent stuff to put in it!

Well Ali, I'm quite happy to look at indecent stuff if that's all you have! Wink

Take care mate. x

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.