Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

PC to Mac

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
User_Removed
28 Dec 2011 - 12:46 PM

Quote: 2/ When using correct lighting conditions and if you remove desktop crap from the screen and use an 18% grey background, you will not have any reflections problems

That is soo funny TTT - This helps you when photo editing how?

You might as well sign a petition for what good that's going to do pmsl

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Dec 2011 - 12:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87253 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
28 Dec 2011 - 1:07 PM

I love everything about my iMac apart from the glossy screen.Wink

digicammad
digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
28 Dec 2011 - 1:13 PM

Apple Matte Screen convertor - 250

sandpaper-1.jpg

justin c
justin c  104504 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
28 Dec 2011 - 1:17 PM

Quote: Apple Matte Screen convertor - 250

LOL Grin

TTT
TTT  12556 forum posts Germany
28 Dec 2011 - 2:06 PM

screen-shot.jpg

I don't have a problem as I said.....and Oh by the way it's possible to buy with matt screens nowadays.

Last Modified By TTT at 28 Dec 2011 - 2:09 PM
digicammad
digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
28 Dec 2011 - 2:16 PM

I know, but that wouldn't have been as funny Grin

lemmy
lemmy  61673 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Dec 2011 - 2:20 PM

What's funny is that people with lots of experience of both systems mostly don't have strong views either way.

The point with the fanboy Windows yah boo/ Mac yah boo is that these people are not telling you anything about the systems, only that they are not secure in their own choices.

A choice either way will not leave you disadvantaged. The PC is more flexible if you have the technical ability to tailor it to exactly what you want it to be. The Mac is good for those with no technical ability or just want it to work.

The virus business is a red herring. Anyone who gets a virus on any machine is an idiot. They probably walk down dark alleys in strange cities is their spare time. The Mac is no more secure than the PC but since there are far fewer of them, fewer virus makers have targeted them. However, according to Sophos this is changing and virus writers are currently targeting Mac OS. Complacency is the enemy where malware and viruses are concerned, not choice of hardware.

Ditto people who say that one or the other system crashes/ is slow/ buggy. These people are living in the past. Computers are white goods now. I have had a Windows machines since XP came out. I don't recall any crashes at all since then. Freezing up on web pages now and again, yes but my iPad does that too. That is badly written web pages, not the machine.

Anyway, this is boring. What is interesting is that all Canon cameras are complete rubbish and the lenses are all useless. Oh, hold on a minute, I have a Canon, so it must be Nikon that are rub....wait a minute, no, I have a Panasonic. They are the best you know. Nikon and Canon are complete rubbish. And Pentax and Olympus. Sony, rubbish too. Fuji, yes rubbish...

TTT
28 Dec 2011 - 2:34 PM

OOOPPPPSSS sorry but that image was on my desktop and not aimed at anyone, funny enough i just found it on FB....

Quote: Anyway, this is boring. What is interesting is that all Canon cameras are complete rubbish and the lenses are all useless. Oh, hold on a minute, I have a Canon, so it must be Nikon that are rub....wait a minute, no, I have a Panasonic. They are the best you know. Nikon and Canon are complete rubbish. And Pentax and Olympus. Sony, rubbish too. Fuji, yes rubbish...

very true and time to go and do something worthwhile. All the best for 2012.

lemmy
lemmy  61673 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Dec 2011 - 2:36 PM

Quote: All the best for 2012

Heartily echoed!

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
28 Dec 2011 - 3:24 PM

Quote: Oh by the way it's possible to buy with matt screens nowadays

Had a look in the store today and its not turning up as an iMAC option. On value my latest PC and the iMAC look similar, ( same core, similar graphics, PC has 2G more ram and 500G more HD) that leaves me with @ 900 to buy a display and spend the same money.

I agree with Lemmy, after the price and looks there is little in it either way.

66tricky
66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
28 Dec 2011 - 3:35 PM

Quote: Most systems that don't work today is usually finger trouble.Wink

PEBKAC: Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair
PICNIC: Problem In Chair Not In Computer

Madhatter58
28 Dec 2011 - 4:28 PM

I have to use windows for work but use a Mac at home. Basically I prefer the Mac, it's all down to personal choice can't see why there's all this animosity between users of either platform. Thought this site was about photography anyway??

digicammad
28 Dec 2011 - 4:36 PM

It isn't really animosity. Smile

There is a lot of frustration on both sides, that the other side refuses to accept the good points of their platform.

If you were to write a summary of the 2 platforms it would be something like this:

PC - value for money, open platform therefore user needs to be aware of the consequences of installing cheapo components or free/cheapo software. User also needs to be aware that constantly trying whizzy free applications will clog up their machine as surely as emptying dripping down the sink will clog up your drains. Ideal for people with limited budgets and open ended requirements.

Mac - more expensive on a like for like comparison because it is not an open platform, therefore not the same competitive marketplace. Less flexibility for users to play therefore less likelihood they will bring the machine to its knees (see above). Ideal for people with limited requirements and larger budgets.

It should also be said that a lot of the people who switch could have spent less money on a PC expert to 'spring clean' their machine.

Last Modified By digicammad at 28 Dec 2011 - 4:43 PM
User_Removed
28 Dec 2011 - 4:39 PM

@TTT

What do you see in the black of that image? Black or the reflection of you and the room?

Quote:
I love everything about my iMac apart from the glossy screen

TTT
28 Dec 2011 - 5:40 PM

@ Chris > The pratt in the movie should learn to turn off the kitchen lights when working on his Macbook.
as to any screen you will always get a certain amount of reflection, I just prefer the crispness and color of glossy it suits me, and as far as reflections go in blacks I can't really say I've noticed. As I said it all comes down to ambient lighting and how you handle it, whatever room you use even if people use their kitchen as an office.

@ Strawman > matt screen are on option for Macbooks, also cinema screen, imac will be in the future I believe...

@ digicammad >
Quote: Less flexibility for users to play therefore less likelihood they will bring the machine to its knees (see above). Ideal for people with limited requirements and larger budgets.

Mine is Photoshop and Apeture my Xbox is for playing games.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.