Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

PC to Mac

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

User_Removed
29 Dec 2011 - 11:28 AM

Quote:
Blimey. I've just come back to see this is still rattling on

It's not your fault. How could you have had any possible clue that a Mac v PC thread could possibly turn into some kind of argument. When I saw people coming out with the usual "get a Mac you won't look back" I thought that would be the end of it. I couldn't have dreamed that anyone might challenge that view in a forum kind of way.

Just because it's happened every single time before didn't mean it would happen this time.

Hopefully we can all learn from this.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Dec 2011 - 11:28 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
29 Dec 2011 - 11:34 AM

tech-impaired-duck-meme-generator-i-m-a-computer-expert-i-own-a-mac-5ad3c7.jpg

Zatoichi
Zatoichi  5707 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Dec 2011 - 11:57 AM

Quote: Hopefully we can all learn from this.

Doubt that. Seems if you don't have a PC that can take over the world you don't know anything Wink

Quote: Nothing like an ePz thread war for entertainment value Grin

Enjoy whatever direction you go Laurel_Steinbeck. I know I have and all of the experts in the world can't take that away Wink

8Mfps
8Mfps  579 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Dec 2011 - 1:19 PM

And I'm still trying to figure out
"Have you got a light Mac?
No but I've got a dark brown overcoat!"

photoworks
photoworks  11317 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Dec 2011 - 3:18 PM

Quote: I assume you've used one to Chris, what did you not like? I have one, I'd really like to know.

I hated that it wouldn't run industry standard design software like AutoCAD and 3D StudioMax. I hated that I was developing websites that had to work on the latest version of Internet Explorer but I couldn't run the latest version of IE on the Mac to test them. I hated that I couldn't play games against my friends because they weren't available for the Mac. I hated that I couldn't pick up spare parts cheaply. I hated that the 30 scanner I saw wouldn't work on a Mac. I hated going into WHSmiths and having the choice of one magazine. I hated that it wouldn't play standard video formats.

I still don't understand what it is that people think they can do on a Mac that they can't do on a PC and why they should pay through the nose for it. Maybe they're fashion victims?

Quote: My PC, on which I am still running XP, is still as fast as the day I bought it. I accept that when I run Adobe LR3 it will occasionally struggle a little, but it is 6 years old.

I have been using mac since 2006 and, since then, gone is the utter frustation that I experienced with windows.

the machine I have is a macbook pro manufactured in 2005. I have installed, consecutively Mac OS X Tiger, mac OS X leopard, and Mac OS X snow leopard. The speed of my machine is still top notch. so much for a machine out of fashion.

Can you install windows 7 on a 5 years old pc, without adding or replacing parts on the machine, and having it run seamlessly ? I think not !!!

On a mac, out of the box, you can manage your photos, you can edit movies, you can create podcast and music pieces. Can you do that on pc ? not without buying additional software.

When you buy a mac, it is not loaded with bunch of useless applications like you see in most pcs available.

on a mac, no need to install anti-virus as there are no viruses on the mac.

You need specific windows applications, well, with bootcamp you can install windows on your machine.

with pc machine depending on the version of windows shipped with the machine, you get limited features (home version as opposed as professional version or enterprise versions). with a mac, you get only one version of os and it is not limited.

You have a problem on your mac, go to the apple website, enter your sn, your contact details and then you have the option for the support to contact you at the time of your choice. If they cannot fix it, you can arrange for an appointment to have your machine serviced at your local Apple store.

Try getting support for your pc right away, its impossible. the time you spend on the phone to get to the right person is horrendous and then you realise that the person at the end of the line is in India or Pakistan.

Magazines for the mac. There are definitely more than one, even at my local Whsmiths store.

I grant you that the price is sheer to buy a mac. However, it is worth it as you are frustration free.

the only time i had to reinstall the os is when i bought the newest version or when I had to replace my hard drive.

Previously, on my Pc, I lost count of how many times i had to reinstall windows.

Wanna play standard video format ? well you can download the required plug ins on the web. And to be honest, Quicktime is, in my own opinion, the best video player there is. Then again it is my point of view ; others can disagree on this one.

My mac is used for so much more than than just a web browser and/or facebook. In fact I am doing the same things I used to do with my pc years ago, except I am not frustrated anymore. It just works !!! Well worth the price.

I have used windows 7 at my work. I a,m sorry but the interface is is mess at best. with my mac I have a functionnal machine with an incredibly beautiful interface. What's more to ask ??

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
29 Dec 2011 - 3:31 PM

Quote: on a mac, no need to install anti-virus as there are no viruses on the mac.

You see, when I read statements like that I find it hard to take the rest of your argument seriously and that is one of the big reasons we end up with PC vs Mac battles.

You make some valid points, though many of the others are subjective. For example, my machine is covered by an on site support contract and on the rare occasions I have needed it I have made a single call to a UK call centre.

Quote: Can you install windows 7 on a 5 years old pc, without adding or replacing parts on the machine, and having it run seamlessly ? I think not !!!

It depends on the spec of your machine. Windows is updated to take advantage of developments in hardware, as is most software around. My 6 year old XP box would run Windows 7 without any updates, even though it wasn't a top spec machine when I bought it.

By the way, when I talked about my machine struggling a little with LR3 I was referring to the fact that LR3 is a modern, relatively resource hungry, piece of software. Operating system has nothing to do with that, except Windows 7 opens up total memory supported.

Last Modified By digicammad at 29 Dec 2011 - 3:38 PM
photoworks
29 Dec 2011 - 3:36 PM

Quote: on a mac, no need to install anti-virus as there are no viruses on the mac.

You see, when I read statements like that I find it hard to take the rest of your argument seriously and that is one of the big reasons we end up with PC vs Mac battles.

You make some valid points, though many of the others are subjective. For example, my machine is covered by an on site support contract and on the rare occasions I have needed it I have made a single call to a UK call centre.

there are no virus on the mac. Period.

http://www.themaclawyer.com/2009/07/mac-os-x/why-are-there-no-viruses-on-mac-os-x/

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2435

There might be trojans or some other nasty things , but definitely no viruses.

Tongue

Last Modified By photoworks at 29 Dec 2011 - 3:38 PM
lemmy
lemmy  71762 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Dec 2011 - 4:36 PM

Quote: with my mac I have a functionnal machine with an incredibly beautiful interface. What's more to ask ??

A spell checker maybe Wink

Actually when you read emotional fanboy rants like that you might as well give up. Yes, you have certainly made the right choice, everyone is full of admiration for you. Macs are definitely the best machines and Windows/ Linux all utterly useless, used only by witless fools. As you so adroitly observe, your Mac is used for more than facebook and web browsing whereas users of all other systems are stuck with just doing that.

I am eagerly awaiting the day when I can get Photoshop, Lightroom and Sony Vegas for my Win 7 machine as I would love to be able to use them for my video and stills work. I wonder if MS Office will ever be available for PC?

Quote: you realise that the person at the end of the line is in India or Pakistan.

Remarks like that should be kept for the pub. They say more about a person than their choice of computer ever could.

photoworks
29 Dec 2011 - 4:51 PM

Quote: with my mac I have a functionnal machine with an incredibly beautiful interface. What's more to ask ??

A spell checker maybe Wink

Actually when you read emotional fanboy rants like that you might as well give up. Yes, you have certainly made the right choice, everyone is full of admiration for you. Macs are definitely the best machines and Windows/ Linux all utterly useless, used only by witless fools. As you so adroitly observe, your Mac is used for more than facebook and web browsing whereas users of all other systems are stuck with just doing that.

I am eagerly awaiting the day when I can get Photoshop, Lightroom and Sony Vegas for my Win 7 machine as I would love to be able to use them for my video and stills work. I wonder if MS Office will ever be available for PC?

you realise that the person at the end of the line is in India or Pakistan.

Remarks like that should be kept for the pub. They say more about a person than their choice of computer ever could.

what is wrong with saying that, i am just pointing out that to cut cost pc manufacturers are outsourcing their support to India, Pakistan, or even eastern europe. I have nothing again those people, I am just saying that pc manufacturer are cutting down supoort cost to make a quick buck. Apple, on the other hand, care for its customer and have one of the best after sales support.

User_Removed
29 Dec 2011 - 5:02 PM

Quote: Can you install windows 7 on a 5 years old pc, without adding or replacing parts on the machine, and having it run seamlessly ? I think not !!!

You definitely can, Windows 7 is faster than the Vista it replaces and is more memory efficient.

Can the thousands of people who spent two grand on a Power Mac in run the latest O/S or did Apple leave all them and the Quadra users high and dry after switching to Intel hardware?

Using Intel chips, what a great Apple innovation, Intel Inside hee

MarkBroughton
29 Dec 2011 - 5:20 PM

Quote: There is know way on this earth i'd ever go back to a PC there troublesome slow and not user friendly

Can anyone spot the errors here? My windows 7 pc would have flagged these up Grin

lemmy
lemmy  71762 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Dec 2011 - 5:25 PM

Quote: I am just saying that pc manufacturer are cutting down supoort cost

No grammar checker either Sad

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87271 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
29 Dec 2011 - 5:26 PM

I suppose it all depends on how and why you use a computer as to what functions are available to you or not.

...but all I can say, having both a PC and an iMac is that I prefer the iMac.

Granted, its pricey, but after buying a Mac , even after my hissy fit to Apple about the glossy screen, when I thought of going back to a PC I decided to stay with the mac.

I like its simplicity, it just all works without all the fannying about.

I did have to replace a few things that weren't compatible with Lion but apart from that I have had no probs.

strawman
strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
29 Dec 2011 - 6:16 PM

Quote: the machine I have is a macbook pro manufactured in 2005. I have installed, consecutively Mac OS X Tiger, mac OS X leopard, and Mac OS X snow leopard. The speed of my machine is still top notch. so much for a machine out of fashion.

Why so many paid for OS updates, I mean I have an Xp machine of that age and Xp has been updated a lot and it still runs. I expect it will run 7 but there is no real need to change the OS on it. I got free updates.

Quote: On a mac, out of the box, you can manage your photos, you can edit movies, you can create podcast and music pieces. Can you do that on pc ? not without buying additional software.

Yes. It all depends on what you specify. And even if I had to buy extra, the budget has plenty left over before I equal the price.

Quote: When you buy a mac, it is not loaded with bunch of useless applications like you see in most pcs available.

contradicts your previous point. I have no need for blogging SW or movie editing so they are bloat wear to me Smile

Quote: with pc machine depending on the version of windows shipped with the machine, you get limited features (home version as opposed as professional version or enterprise versions). with a mac, you get only one version of os and it is not limited.

Cough, Blue Ray players, many video codec and then there are items like flash. Yes its truly an un-limited machine Smile

Quote: Try getting support for your pc right away, its impossible. the time you spend on the phone to get to the right person is horrendous and then you realise that the person at the end of the line is in India or Pakistan.

Yup some of my machines have 2 hours on-site support. to be honest that's not an OS thing, its jut a support package but it depends on what you specify. My support guy is 16 miles away and whilst he has a fairly broad west country accent he is fine. Says a lot about you sport.

Keep paying the money its working Wink

For home use I could use MAC or Windows, and if it were not for photography I could use Linux. I guess the next version of the GIMP could fix that. For work only Windows due to a lack of SW for the other two platforms. And Linux is closer than the apple offering. Its not a critique more a reflection of being aimed at different markets. For most home users any of the big 3 are ok.

Last Modified By strawman at 29 Dec 2011 - 6:19 PM
MarkBroughton
29 Dec 2011 - 7:31 PM

Quote: you realise that the person at the end of the line is in India or Pakistan.

what is wrong with saying that, i am just pointing out that to cut cost pc manufacturers are outsourcing their support to India, Pakistan, or even eastern europe. I have nothing again those people, I am just saying that pc manufacturer are cutting down supoort cost to make a quick buck. Apple, on the other hand, care for its customer and have one of the best after sales support.

Why would you need after sales support, its a mac isnt it? Tongue

.....and lets face it Windows PC's have that many problems, like slowness, crashing etc the manufacturers need to cut the cost of supoort down as every numpty that buys one will obviously need support when it breaks after a week.

Hehe I do like these debates.....

Last Modified By MarkBroughton at 29 Dec 2011 - 7:35 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.