Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

PC to Mac

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Madhatter58
29 Dec 2011 - 7:33 PM

I think at the end of the day it doesn't really matter if you use a Mac or a windows machine or what software you use to twiddle with the image. To me what really matters is the device you output on.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Dec 2011 - 7:33 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Zatoichi
Zatoichi  5707 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Dec 2011 - 11:45 PM

Quote: I think at the end of the day

Everyone should just grow the f**k up and leave people to their own research and decisions and be allowed to make their own choice for their own reasons. Why does everyone have to be so fascist? Ffs move on and get a life, its a computer.

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72345 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
29 Dec 2011 - 11:51 PM

totally agree. It's like the new politics or religion. It doesn't matter. Neither is better than the other. I for one was brought up on old school DOS, my schools used macs, and I have used windows based machines for years now and I have have a dabble in linux for the past 5 years or so. But, the day has come where I am considering if an apple machine is more of the environment I wish to work in. They all have their pros and cons.

Live and let live.

They both do the same thing, in different ways.

I'm going to open a can of worms and say that from my experience of reading design based blogs and websites, that most use macs, but thats not to say that they are the best for design or creativity. However, that is just my experience, I'm not a photographer.

Last Modified By davidburleson at 29 Dec 2011 - 11:55 PM
User_Removed
30 Dec 2011 - 12:15 AM

LOL @ David "it doesn't matter" at the start then at the end the old "designers use Macs" myth.

Please don't act like you don't want to argue then start putting forward arguments.

Why are more copies of Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator etc sold to designers using Windows?

Quote: Hehe I do like these debates.....

Yeah me too. I wish people who didn't like them would just go and read another topic.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 30 Dec 2011 - 12:17 AM
davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72345 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
30 Dec 2011 - 12:26 AM

heheh, just stating an observation in the circles that I am active in (web design/graphic design).

Fair point Chris, just putting my 2 pence in.

The fact is, it doesn't matter! Chooose what you want to. If you like OSX/Windows, go with it. No one will know a better answer than yourself.

Macs are great, PCs are great. Decide on what software and what you feel more comfortable using and paying for. It's a pretty level playing field these days despite what many may say about OS, hardware and software upgrades.

I bet the OP regrets posting this topic now Tongue

Last Modified By davidburleson at 30 Dec 2011 - 12:33 AM
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
30 Dec 2011 - 12:31 AM

Quote: Why are more copies of Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator etc sold to designers using Windows?

That didn't used to be the case. Also could you take that further and look at the ratio. I bet the percentage of design software users (Mac Vs PC) is much higher in favour of Mac than games or word processing software.

User_Removed
30 Dec 2011 - 12:37 AM

What the ****, the applications are the same in either OS. Except you pay more to run it on mac. This isn't the 1950s. Save yourself some money, stop being sucked in by a brilliant advertising campaign and wake up to how left behind you have been.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 30 Dec 2011 - 12:38 AM
davidburleson
30 Dec 2011 - 12:37 AM

There are much more general PC users than general Mac users. I feel this is due to costs (personal opinion). When it comes of photography based software/etc, I don't think either is any better than the other. So, its up to the OP to decide which software they feel more comfortable with.

Its like choosing between a leather or a fabric sofa. Cost doesn't matter, it depends on your taste.

Swills, your an avid windows users. And thats cool, I have used windows for 10+ years myself. But, to say that macs pay more than windows is wrong. They are both about the same. Windows pay about 90 per upgrade, while macs pay much less.

Live and let live. PCs are cool, Macs are cool.

Last Modified By davidburleson at 30 Dec 2011 - 12:41 AM
User_Removed
30 Dec 2011 - 12:41 AM

1306816529649.jpg

davidburleson
30 Dec 2011 - 12:42 AM

What are you more interested in?

Last Modified By davidburleson at 30 Dec 2011 - 12:42 AM
User_Removed
30 Dec 2011 - 12:46 AM

Quote: Swills, your an avid windows users. And thats cool, I have used windows for 10+ years myself. But, to say that macs pay more than windows is wrong. They are both about the same. Windows pay about 90 per upgrade, while macs pay much less.

sense, you make none.

There is a difference between your "use" and my "use" - in my kind of use mac fail on numerous levels. The thing I have a BIG CHEESE about is the destruction of standards and the monopolization of the industry. - You cannot publish anything to mac officially without apple say so. In the REAL COMPUTING world that is a huge WTF?

This is why you pay to convert your FLAC files to MP3 on a mac, whereas on windoze/linux its a free download from someones bedroom afternoon coding.

Don't get me wrong, OSX is nice. But Y U SO EXPENSIVE FOR NO REASON? - This is why I use OSX (whenever the need occurs) on a machine I built. Saving me the $$$. No software that ships with a mac cannot be found for free.

There has only be one reason for me requiring OSX and that was to integrate my girlfriends language support over to our server.

All people need is a 1 to 2 hour lesson in how to use the internet to find **** and how to use a computer. Maybe some rational thinking thrown in. Suddenly the "advantage" of that pricey mac dissipates.

- and actually I spend most of my computer time running proteome crystallography on a linux box.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 30 Dec 2011 - 12:51 AM
chelle
chelle  877 forum posts
30 Dec 2011 - 12:49 AM

I swapped from a pc to a mac a few years ago now.

I know that you can get a lot more for your money with pc, but I honestly think that macs are worth the extra.

Go for it!

User_Removed
30 Dec 2011 - 12:50 AM

Pete the fact that a higher proportion of Mac users may be designers doesn't afffect which machine is more popular with designers.

For argument's sake let's say that there were 50M designers using PCs and 20M using Macs. If then 1 billion non designers went out and bought PCs soley to word process on the 50M would still outnumber the 20M.

David, maybe some of your geek friends have Macbooks, maybe you saw a lot of Macbooks on the Facebook documentary and you're worried that you need a Macbook to be a fully fledged webgeek? People might not take you seriously unless you've got that glowing Apple logo on ya lid Grin

Also David, please don't suggest Macs are better value.

Look at Chelle above, probably went from an old PC, pre-Windows 7, maybe pre-Vista to a new Mac and can "honestly think that macs are worth the extra". Chelle, what is it that you can do on your Mac that you can't do on a Windows 7 PC?. Nothing, you don't have an answer. You spent a lot of money on a Mac so you'd best keep justifying the purchase and burying your head in the sand as to what's going on in the rest of computerland

Last Modified By User_Removed at 30 Dec 2011 - 12:56 AM
User_Removed
30 Dec 2011 - 12:52 AM

If you give a mac to a child to use, it will not make them IT competent.

Problem?

If you give a mac to the middle aged , it will not make them IT competent.

Problem?

If you give a mac to someone who is not IT competent, it will not make them IT competent.

Problem?

Yes, yes, yes.

An excellent case example is my father. He was not functional on a computer at all, he loves tinkering with photos. He had a mac which he got along fine with. - However his IT skill did not progress; as soon as he wanted to do some extra he could not.

He now has an high-spec XPS laptop which cost 1/3 of the price of the mac. Within two months he took it upon himself to network the house with a server/TV PC and live-encode media to the various devices in it - with built in recording schedule from only his phone via SMS all on his own.

The difference is he did that all on the cheap, the mac hardware to do that would have been astronomical and not even available.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 30 Dec 2011 - 1:00 AM
davidburleson
30 Dec 2011 - 12:56 AM

Quote: David, maybe some of your geek friends have Macbooks...

You would be wrong, i have no mac/apple friends.

In all honesty, I don't really see any advantage in either apart from personal appeal. Some people perfer pc, some perfer mac. It's up to you to decide what you perfer.

swills, define IT competent, and does it REALLY matter to the majority of people who aren't programmers, web designers and graphic designers?

Last Modified By davidburleson at 30 Dec 2011 - 12:57 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.