Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

PC vs Mac

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
jennialexander
jennialexander e2 Member 943 forum postsjennialexander vcard United Kingdom
23 Aug 2009 - 4:08 PM

I am thinking of getting a new computer but wondering should I go for a Mac this time or stay with PC and if so which one would you recommend.
All suggestions welcome.
I have a couple of external hard drives for my photos but somehow I always manage to slow my PC to a crawl even with constant cleaning and defragging. Wonder if a MAC would be better?
Jenni

Last Modified By jennialexander at 23 Aug 2009 - 4:09 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Aug 2009 - 4:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96103 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
23 Aug 2009 - 5:36 PM

Take a look at the iMac range.

Last Modified By JJGEE at 23 Aug 2009 - 5:36 PM
cameracat
cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
23 Aug 2009 - 7:18 PM

I
Quote: always manage to slow my PC to a crawl even with constant cleaning and defragging. Wonder if a MAC would be better?

There is absolutely no difference between a Mac & Windows based computer......At the end of the day, They are computers, Pure and simple....Smile

Where there is a difference is in the " Operating System " Windows machines use Microsoft based software, Mac use Mac ( Apple ) based software.

If yor going to make comparison like " Is a New Mac " gonna be faster than my old computer running Windows, Then we are going to need some idea on your current system specifications.

If its more than 3 years old, Its " Pre-Historic ) almost stoneage...Smile

If you desire a speed computer, You need to buy a speedy computer, Be it a Mac OS or a Microsoft OS, The list of specifications is endless, What you pay is up to you, The sky is the limit.

But don't go comparing a chocked up old Windows machine, With the current offering from any brand, No matter what OS they are loaded with......Wink

Specifications to look at.....!

Quad CPU, Current AMD Phenom 2, Offer great value, Whilst the Quads from Intel are faster they are also more expensive.

Maninboards....Asus/Gigabyte/MSI.

Hard drives, Well As big as you can get, I run at least 2 terabyte of on board drives.....But the choice is yours.

Memory, As much as your mainboard can handle, Aim for 8 Gb if your going for a 64Bit Microsoft operating system, But youi can get away with 4 on the lesser 32Bit systems....!!!

Bottom line you can't beat a custom made machine, Tailored to your needs, With some upgrade headroom......!

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014207 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Aug 2009 - 7:47 PM

Quote: If its more than 3 years old, Its " Pre-Historic ) almost stoneage

My PC is 11 years old, and I did a browse through the computer shops last winter and came away thinking an upgrade is not worth it. I've spent $135.00 in upgrades in 11 years.

However, I'm the type of person who gets comfortable with a pair of shoes or article of clothing, and I can't part with it; it drives my wife crazy, I've actually gone and retrieved slippers or sneakers that she's thrown out, from the bin.

I'm also still using Elements 3.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 23 Aug 2009 - 7:50 PM
ckristoff
ckristoff  9936 forum posts Wales
23 Aug 2009 - 9:24 PM

Straycat,

Hmm... 11 years and $135 - wow - you saw this credit crunch coming, eh?? Smile

Sounds like you've done well my friend. Are you still using film or have you got a dslr?

For my sins, I'm waiting for my new PC. 8GB!!? My Lord, I thought I was doing well ordering a 6GB machine. Still, it's my first new PC for nearly 8 years, so I should notice a difference.

Earlier this year, I visited the Apple store in Bristol - fascinating place and of course, brilliant equipment. I had a look at the product and was very impressed. The graphics capability was amazing and I clicked on a video of a clip explaining how to play bass guitar. Simply superb, I couldn't fault it. It was like watching live TV!

Last month, I visited PC World at Carmarthen and was just as impressed with a fantasatic PC setup costing about 1000. It came with a 20 inch wide screen monitor. Again I was blown away at the capabilities of the machine. I suppose there isn't much to choose between a Mac or PC computer - not performance or spec wise. I'm assuming the biggest difference would be the price.

Frank.

Leif
Leif  9722 forum posts
23 Aug 2009 - 9:30 PM

From what I have seen you pay a lot more for a Mac with similar memory and CPU speed. There is a lot of marketing. I can't comment if it has a sound basis.

I don't know what the differences are with the OS. Aren't they all very similar these days? Windows NT is not truly real time, but that does not make much difference to most people. The Mac is I think.

A key difference, apart from the OS, is that Mac tightly control the hardware as well as the software. In other words, you buy hardware and software from one company. The result is that there should be less unexpected problems with the two not quite talking together correctly. Usually it is an issue with a driver on a PC. I have had PCs that spontaneously reboot after using them for 11 hours. And on my current PC colour profiles are not correctly installed. My last PC slowly self destructed due to insufficient cooling to handle twin hard disks. Bad design. A Mac should not do that. Nor will a decent PC. A Mac might be more stable, with less issues, but not being a Mac user, that might be carp.

As far as peripherals are concerned, I think there is little difference. Most tend to use USB or Firewire.

There are not many viruses around for the Mac, so in that respect it is safer. But not all software is available for the Mac, or it is released 6 months or a year later, as are upgrades.

As an aside, I write Windows software, so rest assured that I am completely impartial ... sort of ...

Graywolf
Graywolf  6964 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Aug 2009 - 11:13 PM

An old quote from Steve Jobs (admittedly a while ago now),

"Why would anyone need more that 512mbs of memory?"

Fairclough
23 Aug 2009 - 11:25 PM

I remember Bill Gates saying the same thing about 640KB :o)

But that aside, go to your local Mac Store, have a play and see if you prefer the system. Personally, I couldn't live with the cost/performance penalties of Macs, but then I'm both Pikey and a geek who loves to get elbow deep in PCBs during each new machines conception.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014207 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Aug 2009 - 11:27 PM

The max ram on my PC is 512MB, and of course it's slow, but one thing I have lots of is time. I am using a professional grade music program on the PC, and I get no latency. I use a MIDI controller and a guitar with the amp into the soundcard, works like a charm. The only problem is the lack of space on my C drive; everything is too slow if I use the external drive for the music program. BTW, even though my PC is 11 years old, it has firewire. I burned up the original 40 GB hard drive about 4 years ago, and replaced it with a used 130 GB drive that's still going.

jennialexander
jennialexander e2 Member 943 forum postsjennialexander vcard United Kingdom
24 Aug 2009 - 7:23 AM

Thankyou to all your helpful comments. My PC is now only nearly 3 years old. I bought it with a huge 512mbs memory!!!!! Upgraded that by another 512mbs which I thought was a huge amount. I have a friend who has a MAC and swears by it and it certainly does look pretty impressive. The cost though is a lot more than a PC with similar specifications but he says it rarely gives him any grief. I will go and have a play I think.

stolzy
stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2009 - 8:24 AM

Quote: The cost though is a lot more than a PC with similar specifications

Macs and PCs never have the same specification. Macs use the Mac OS X Operating system and windows PCs use windows. this is the only (but very important difference between them.
and the quality, of course.

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2009 - 11:39 AM

Quote: Macs and PCs never have the same specification.

Given that the price of the OS can be seen, and that much of the electronics hardware is in fact the same you can draw a comparison. you can put Windows or Linux on both legally, its just a shame about the apple OS restrictions.

Quote: Macs use the Mac OS X Operating system and windows PCs use windows.

To my understanding Macs ship with boot camp, and so could use windows, and PC's of course you have a wide choice of windows or Linux etc. You could always just swap out the apples HD and get a different OS.

Quote: this is the only (but very important difference between them.

No price and styling is important, and probably the biggest difference. The profit Apple extracts has to be in one respect admired, but it also pushes them firmly into a limited role.

Quote: and the quality, of course.

Quite correct but lets not be mean to Macs. Wink

Roll on next year when Google launches its OS. It will probably hurt Windows most, but it may be the best way to get Linux better established. what we need is something to make MS compete, sadly apples pricing policy keeps them in a niche, that serves them, but not always their customers.

mdpontin
mdpontin  96016 forum posts Scotland
24 Aug 2009 - 1:18 PM

Quote: Wonder if a MAC would be better?

My recommendations would be these:
1. Ignore 90% of the discussion on this and other topics about whether one or the other is technically better, more or less expensive on a like-for-like basis, and (unless it's of interest to you) technical minutae. (For the most part, unless you're a computer geek it's not going to help you. The majority of people who use a computer at home aren't interested in whether it's got the latest "X5DTS" chipset, or can run such-and-such benchmark two nano-seconds faster/slower than the others, etc.)

2. Ideally, if you know somebody near you who has a Mac, ask if you can have a try using it and see how you get on. Go into an Apple Store or an Apple Reseller, and try it hands-on. Talk to people who actually use them on a day-to-day basis and therefore know any pluses and minuses you might need to consider.

As with choosing a camera, at the end of the day it will come down to your personal preference. You can use either Windows or a Mac and you should be able to do everything you are likely to want to do, so it comes down to what you feel most comfortable with.

I use Windows for my work, so I have plenty of experience with using that OS. For the past 8 years or more, I've used Macs at home including for all my photography and now video interests, and I much prefer them. Others may prefer Windows.

Doug

Last Modified By mdpontin at 24 Aug 2009 - 1:18 PM
Leif
Leif  9722 forum posts
24 Aug 2009 - 1:20 PM

Quote: Quote:The cost though is a lot more than a PC with similar specificationsMacs and PCs never have the same specification. Macs use the Mac OS X Operating system and windows PCs use windows. this is the only (but very important difference between them.
and the quality, of course.

It is NOT the only difference. I suggest that you reread what I wrote, and also what StrawMan wrote.

You can see the sort of specs they have e.g. RAM, hard disk size, expansion capability. Performance comparisons using standard software such as PhotoShop to do standard tasks are available online and in magazines to give you an idea of CPU performance. Of course you'll have to go into a shop and peruse the PC mags, so if you get embarrassed easily, take along a brown paper bag.

When I compared the two, I knew what sort of hard disk and RAM I needed due to photo processing. The Mac cost FAR more. (The cost might be worth it, but not being a Mac user, I cannot say. I know the iPod is beautifully designed and IMO worth the premium.)

Leif
Leif  9722 forum posts
24 Aug 2009 - 1:22 PM

Quote:
I use Windows for my work, so I have plenty of experience with using that OS. For the past 8 years or more, I've used Macs at home including for all my photography and now video interests, and I much prefer them. Others may prefer Windows.

Doug

Would you say your preference was based purely on small subjective issues, or that the Mac is genuinely easier to use, faster to use, more reliable etc? (I used to use Macs, 15 years ago, and back then they were far superior to PCs.)

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.