Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

PDF Problem

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Taxboy
Taxboy  12197 forum posts
29 May 2011 - 4:30 PM

I did a search on here and downloaded CutePDF but but that won't work with the form I've got - the output is blank and gives an error message

The original PDF file has drop downs with pre-populated choices so is that what might be causing issues for any freeware out there ? or is there an alternative

TIA for any help

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 May 2011 - 4:30 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
29 May 2011 - 4:56 PM

What are you trying to do with the form?

Taxboy
29 May 2011 - 5:24 PM

Quote: What are you trying to do with the form?

Complete it and then save the completed form as a PDF so I can e-mail and print it

User_Removed
29 May 2011 - 6:08 PM

Have you opened it in Adobe Reader?

sut68
sut68  101994 forum posts England76 Constructive Critique Points
29 May 2011 - 6:26 PM

It really depends on how the PDF was originally created as to whether you can re-save it down. Using a basic PDF program like Reader or CutePDF [free version] usually only allows you to open the PDF to print it. If the PDF has been created in the correct manner then you should be able to complete and re-saved it in Reader [ét al].

Usually though it takes a more professional version of Acrobat to do this with most PDF's.

Taxboy
29 May 2011 - 7:01 PM

Quote: Have you opened it in Adobe Reader?

Yes

Jestertheclown
29 May 2011 - 7:02 PM

As Paul says, it depends how the Pdf. was created. I've got Serif PagePlus 3 which allows me to edit most Pdfs.
I had to pay for it when I got it but it must be over three years old now and Serif usually allow their older stuff to become their free versions so it might be worth a look.
Just a thought.

Taxboy
29 May 2011 - 7:03 PM

Quote: It really depends on how the PDF was originally created as to whether you can re-save it down. Using a basic PDF program like Reader or CutePDF [free version] usually only allows you to open the PDF to print it. If the PDF has been created in the correct manner then you should be able to complete and re-saved it in Reader [ét al].

Usually though it takes a more professional version of Acrobat to do this with most PDF's.

I know on opening Reader I get a message that I can't save it only print it - not certain if that is because Reader is a view only or if I really need something like the full Acrobat to do what I want

Shortbloke
29 May 2011 - 7:25 PM

Have you tried something like dopdf: http://www.dopdf.com/

This will install as a 'printer' and allow you to create a pdf using file>print from any printable document. I've not tried it with a pdf form, but should work

Jestertheclown
29 May 2011 - 7:47 PM

I've got "dopdf" on here and I can't seem to see a way to open pdfs. with it, although I thought you could. Perhaps it only creates them.
However, I've also got "NitroPdf." on here and that has an option that once a document (or form) is open, it's possible to type in the boxes ansd save the changes. It's pretty basic but it does at least work. I know that because I used it recently to complete some tables for an NVQ. I've just completed.
Alternatively, it has an option that once the document's open, you can lift the text from it, open it using Notepad, then copy and paste it into Word where you can save it again as a new Pdf.
That option'ds probably not much use to you if you need to fill in boxes but it's a handy trick if you nee to alter some text.
Again though, these options don't work on all Pdfs.
Hope this helps.

Jester.

sut68
sut68  101994 forum posts England76 Constructive Critique Points
29 May 2011 - 9:58 PM

Basically, Reader is only a view/read only package and the bought packages will allow you to open, edit and save non-password protected files. That said, if the file is created in a specific way then you can edit and save again in Reader ... can't comment on the other packages mentioned.

Jestertheclown
29 May 2011 - 10:03 PM

The problem with Pdfs. is that they aren't really intended to be edited.
They're more a kind of electronic photocopy which makes them a brilliant and reasonably secure way to pass information around, like the paper agenda at a meeting but that's pretty much where their purpose ends.
Everything produced as a Pdf. was once an editable, printable file and that's the one you need to be editing.

User_Removed
29 May 2011 - 10:39 PM

Quote: The problem with Pdfs. is that they aren't really intended to be edited.

These kind are

They are interactive and can be filled in using nothing more than Adobe Reader. Others though need to be printed out then filled in.

I think Taxboy's is one of the latter. If it's not password protected then you can still edit it and fill it in electronically using Adobe Acrobat. You can get a fully functional free trial from here

Jestertheclown
29 May 2011 - 11:21 PM

Wondered when you'd turn up to tell us that we're all wrong.

User_Removed
30 May 2011 - 12:09 AM

Quote: a kind of electronic photocopy which makes them a brilliant and reasonably secure way to pass information around, like the paper agenda at a meeting but that's pretty much where their purpose ends.

Really?

Quote: Wondered when you'd turn up to tell us that we're all wrong.

What's your problem, you're telling the guy he can't edit a PDF and needs the original file, I'm telling him he can edit a PDF and how to do it.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.