Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

PDF Problem

Taxboy 12 199
30 May 2011 8:36AM
From another forum - I've discovered that Foxit will do what I want i.e save the form once I've filled it in. Thanks for the input guys

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
30 May 2011 11:12AM

Quote:From another forum - I've discovered that Foxit will do what I want i.e save the form once I've filled it in. Thanks for the input guys

Does the free version do it?
I used Foxit for quite a while and remember the editing becoming available on the paid for version. It worked on the free one too but used to leave a red box at the top with something, I can't remember what, written in it.
That also used to only work on certain Pdfs. Possibly ones created by itself?
Taxboy 12 199
30 May 2011 1:50PM

Quote:From another forum - I've discovered that Foxit will do what I want i.e save the form once I've filled it in. Thanks for the input guys
Does the free version do it?
I used Foxit for quite a while and remember the editing becoming available on the paid for version. It worked on the free one too but used to leave a red box at the top with something, I can't remember what, written in it.
That also used to only work on certain Pdfs. Possibly ones created by itself?

Seems to so far can't see any sign of a red box & even works with the built in features of the original e.g. click a box press enter and a tick is auto completed so fingers crossed. I'll let you know if there are any problems I encounter
Taxboy 12 199
30 May 2011 2:12PM
I'll add an update - it prints OK with my completed version - just very slow filling in the highlighted boxes - free text OK. Having said that the whole form is 107 pages Sad
30 May 2011 3:02PM

Quote:just very slow filling in the highlighted boxes

That was the problem I had using Nitro on the NVQ. tables. It sounds as if they might work in a similar way.
I first installed Foxit because I was fed up with Adobe taking ages to work, although that was some time ago and it may have improved.
Then Foxit upgraded to a newer version and that also became very slow. I'd go back to it if the current one's any good though.
I think I'll have a look!
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
30 May 2011 3:05PM
When the tipping point arrived and all of this stuff started to go online some organisations redesigned their forms to be proper interactive PDFs others did the quick and lazy thing and just captured the print output as PDF.

It's ridiculous in this day and age to have a form on a computer screen and be expected to print it out just to fill it in.

Quote:I first installed Foxit because I was fed up with Adobe taking ages to work

Acrobat, when I used it, was incredibly slow and buggy (and very unintuitive compared to other Adobe products). Adobe might have sorted it out now that they've got more competition in the PDF realm.
30 May 2011 3:20PM

Quote:I think I'll have a look!

Well, I have but I don't think there's any advantage to be had over what I'm using, not from the free version anyway.
If anything, Nitro's probably more use (just!) and doesn't come bundled with a toolbar etc. which is a bit of a shame because I found the earlier versions of Foxit to be really useful.
Taxboy 12 199
30 May 2011 4:57PM

Quote:When the tipping point arrived and all of this stuff started to go online some organisations redesigned their forms to be proper interactive PDFs others did the quick and lazy thing and just captured the print output as PDF.

It's ridiculous in this day and age to have a form on a computer screen and be expected to print it out just to fill it in.

I first installed Foxit because I was fed up with Adobe taking ages to work

Acrobat, when I used it, was incredibly slow and buggy (and very unintuitive compared to other Adobe products). Adobe might have sorted it out now that they've got more competition in the PDF realm.

I totally agree - I don't want to have to shell out for Acrobat to fill out the occasional form just because that's what the original creator used
Taxboy 12 199
30 May 2011 4:59PM

Quote:I think I'll have a look!
Well, I have but I don't think there's any advantage to be had over what I'm using, not from the free version anyway.
If anything, Nitro's probably more use (just!) and doesn't come bundled with a toolbar etc. which is a bit of a shame because I found the earlier versions of Foxit to be really useful.

Thanks for that I just didn't install the toolbar when I loaded the software - at least it gives you the choice Smile
30 May 2011 5:53PM
Since we've been talking about this, I decided to look for and instal an update for Nitro when I uninstalled Foxit and on the tolbar there's an option to fill out forms. I don't know how (or if) it works but it might be something to remember for future reference.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.