Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Peak District - 25 Best Locations

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

stevebutler
17 Apr 2006 - 10:24 AM

I Agree with the above comments by Chris & Ian.Although there may be many 'Off the beaten track' places in the Peak District, I think the list is spot on. There is a lifetime of photographic opportunities from them places alone even if you live in Derbyshire. From the point of someone visiting the area on a weeks photographic holiday, there would be plenty to go at if you only had a quarter of the list. Just because they are well known doesn't mean they can't be photographed.

Steve!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Apr 2006 - 10:24 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Westers
Westers  93905 forum posts Burkina Faso1 Constructive Critique Points
17 Apr 2006 - 10:36 AM

Trouble with the list is that all it produces is a picture that a thousand other people will do having read the article and gone to the peaks.

Nothing wrong with that because you've got to get the light and composition right, plus they are attractive places, however all it will produce is "here's another (insert one of the top 25) shot". I'm sure they will be lovely shots but as Keith says, lack imagination.

Horses for courses, and all that, but it's more satisfying for me trying to come up with images that represent an area but haven't been done before.

Sure, I've done the Roaches and Stanage Edge shots and whilst I like them they're not much different to anyone else who will stand and wait for the light to be good.

From a commercial point of view then I understand why the likes of Keith have shot these places...they sell. However, to produce something slightly different or unique then a little bit of exploration will yield so much more. Plus from a commercial point of view you'll have an image that is different from the norm and, as long as people can associate with it, will get you noticed and sell. Even if you're not selling then it's something to put up on sites like this and because it is different it will be fresh.

See, I was listening at your Focus talk, Keith.

andytvcams
andytvcams  1110396 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Apr 2006 - 11:07 AM

This one is not bad

strawman
strawman  1022004 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
17 Apr 2006 - 11:11 AM

Its tricky and I think it depends on where you are, in terms of living location and ability.

If you are new to the area then someone pointing out some interesting points of the area can help. Also if you are beginning then getting the practice in, even at a tried and tested location helps.

If you live closer to an area and can come back on different days then that seeking out new locations or angles becomes part of the fun.

Chris_H
Chris_H  101472 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
17 Apr 2006 - 11:54 AM

Quote: From a commercial point of view then I understand why the likes of Keith have shot these places...they sell. However, to produce something slightly different or unique then a little bit of exploration will yield so much more.

I agree with what you are saying Ian, I once told a well known photographer I hate seeing peoples pictures of the same shot taken at the same location, his reply to me was there is nothing wrong with taking an image someone has already done as long as you make sure you do it better.
I had seen an image taken at Honister Pass Slate Works in the Lake District by Rob Talbot, I loved the image and when I first saw it about four years ago I felt it could be improved by better lighting, last month I found the same spot, lighting was perfect but in 16 years the entrance to one of the mines had changed a lot as it is now open to the public and I felt it had lost all of its character, had it of still been the same I knew I could have got a better shot.

Locations such as the Roaches have been shot time and time again and a lot of people seem to have taken the same shot time and time again, a prime example is Hen cloud seen from just above the steps near Rock Cottage. If photographers take the same shot then that is there problem, there is a hell of a lot of rock at places like the Roaches and you could spend all year taking pictures and come away with different images and viewpoints every time, just because other photographers have done that location does not mean that you cant come away with a totally different and better image at that place.

Chris

keithh
keithh  1022815 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
18 Apr 2006 - 1:46 AM

I still stand by the fact that the 'list' is a freebie of little value...it would have been good to have seen some new locations.

I could list more than a few, but then people would want them for free.
Wink

u08mcb
u08mcb  105817 forum posts
18 Apr 2006 - 1:50 AM

Quote: I still stand by the fact that the 'list'...

Eh? It might be a crappy list (I don't know, just going from opinions on here) but as far as I can tell it still qualifies for the full blown free-from-quotes-of-irony list status.

keithh
18 Apr 2006 - 1:53 AM

LOL....ay...fair point..it is at least a list.

mjsayles
mjsayles  81019 forum posts
18 Apr 2006 - 5:52 AM

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that list. Sure, it's the usual places, but for someone who has never been before, and is going to the PD for a week/weekend, it's an ideal quick-reference to some good viewpoints. Just because they've been photographed a million times before by other people does not mean that those who have never been before don't want to add it to their personal photo collection. IYSWIM.

I do a lot of photography in the Lake District. I was born there and I've lived most of my life there. I know the area very well, and I know a lot of cracking places that are photographed very infrequently. But I still like to take photos of places like Ashness Bridge or Castlerigg Stone Circle. Even though I've probably got over 100 photos of each spot, I might still go back and take more snaps of the place, simply because I enjoy photographing these places. I'm pretty certain that Ashness Bridge, Castlerigg Stone Circle, Aira Force etc. would be on a list of 'must shoot places' in the lake district. To many people these would be 'unimaginative' inclusions. But they're places that are oft-photographed for a reason. And even though I personally know of places that are much more inspiring or photogenic but much less well-known, that's no reason to criticise such a list.

It's very easy to get smug and superior when you know some thing or place better than most people. But just because it's easy doesn't mean it's a particularly clever thing to do.

Can you imagine the proverbial 'uproar' if a magazine published a list of 'best' locations that didn't include the usual suspcts? There'd be an endless stream of flak from readers demanding to know why certain locations had been left off the list.

keithh
18 Apr 2006 - 5:56 AM

How would they know?
Wink

mjsayles
mjsayles  81019 forum posts
18 Apr 2006 - 7:01 AM

LOL, true (I think).

Well, the know-it-alls like us Wink on here would moan. (I think).

Oh, I don't know. I don't buy the magazines anyway.

Much better to buy a map and get out there yourself.

martinl
martinl e2 Member 10248 forum postsmartinl vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Apr 2006 - 4:58 AM

Surely the value of the article depends on the angle you are coming from?

As the magazine seems to be aimed at the general amateur photographer (not commercial/professional), it seems that the "list" would be a good idea.

If the idea behind it is to provide an instant "hit list" for people who do not know an area, then it surely succeeds. Just looking at a map will not necessarily give people an idea of what they will find when they get there.
As a starting point it would work well, and as people explore they will then obtain their own viewpoints.

I am hopefully going to the Lakes (not been for years) soon, and if articles such as these give me an idea of where to start, then so much the better. When I get there, I would of course, try to find my own viewpoints, but as a start it would be of value.

tim_everington
22 Apr 2006 - 3:59 AM

anybody got a map?

miptog
miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2006 - 4:14 AM

There was a map with the article. Does anyone know how I can upload it to this site? Mike

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85873 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2006 - 6:15 AM

Bluebell Inn
Cat and Fiddle
Gate Inn
Green Man
Bell Vue Hotel
Knockerdown
Dog And Partridge

I could go on but
merry just recalling these locations

Adrian

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.