Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Pentax istD vs K10D

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

AnthonyM
AnthonyM  9388 forum posts United States2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jan 2007 - 10:59 PM

Well, the other day I just popped in to the local camera store to compare the K10D to my trusty istD. Didn't intend on it happening at the time but I walked out with the K10D.
(Hey, if the wife says "OK", you gotta run with it!)

Anyway, I cannot believe the improved quality of the image with the K10D. The istD is so much worse that I actually wonder if my istD is in need of repair.

I uploaded a test photo to my gallery. Using the same settings and lens you can see how much better the K10 is.

I was actually getting to the point where I can see the quality differences in photos. (For me it has been a long learning curve to see such things.)
The fact that I can not get a nice sharp image from my old camera to save my soul was really starting to get to me.

The old istD is poor enough that I cannot not see differences between photos taken with my old cheap-o Sigma 18-200 lens and the higher quality Pentax 50mm/f1.4.

Now I can!! Wow what a difference! I guess that means I now have a reason to spend money on better lenses, eh? LOL

I'm really looking forward to using the new camera more often.

Anyway... anyone out there with istD see similar lack of quality? I would not think the jump from 6 to 10MP would make up the difference. Or do you think I have a dud that should be sent in for repair?

I would like to keep both, but the difference in quality is quite amazing! The other bells and whistles are just a bonus.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Jan 2007 - 10:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikesavage
mikesavage  12239 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2007 - 2:20 AM

Assuming your *istD isn't faulty, the differences could be due to general technological advancements over the past few years: a better image processing engine giving sharper images with lower noise, a superior CCD etc. I think the *istD was Pentax's first foray into DSLRs, so it's not surprising that today's top-of-the-range model can trounce it.

deviant
deviant  103024 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2007 - 10:33 AM

I did a definitive check of an istD vs. a K10D here. The results are definitive.

AnthonyM
23 Jan 2007 - 10:55 AM

Wow, I didn't realize just how much better the K10D really is. Seeing it in action really cleared up a lot of questions.

Thanks

LOL!!

javam
javam  91083 forum posts United Kingdom19 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2007 - 10:56 AM

I have both and although the K10D is a great camera and a major step on from the *istD, I am not convinced by your test shot.

There is a difference in the detail captured, but not that much. It looks to me like the *istD picture is out of focus.

I would try it again, but manual focus both cameras and put them on a tripod to minimise the variance.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
welshwizard
23 Jan 2007 - 3:32 PM

STOP! STOP! STOP!

I have an *ist D that I am happy with and all this talk about the K10D will have a detrimental effect on my finances...

Beauty of a camera though - I'm waiting to see what the DA* lenses are like - then I will be on a diet of water for the rest of 2007...

javam
javam  91083 forum posts United Kingdom19 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2007 - 3:39 PM

This is an evil thing for me to do peter, but Argos are apparently selling the Samsung version with 18-55 & 50-200 for 600.

As far as I know the only differences with the samsung body is the lack of a PEF format RAW (it still has DNG) and the GUI.

As for the lenses, the samsung versions may not have the SMC coating, but no one seems too sure.

deviant
23 Jan 2007 - 3:43 PM

Nope the K10D is definately better in a fight.

AnthonyM
23 Jan 2007 - 4:47 PM

Well then, it looks like the istD goes in for repairs. I'll do more tests when it comes back, but sad to think I never realized what I was missing out on. I would have sent it back some time ago. It was still giving better photos than my point and shoots, so I figured my equipment and ability was just not up to par with what I was seeing here by other people. .

Sort of breathes new life into my desire to go take some photos. I was certain that I was simply doomed to being incapable of taking a sharp photo.

By the way, deviant beats them both.

deviant
23 Jan 2007 - 5:02 PM

Keith Henson vs. Joe Cornish is a close one. But Boyd kicks both their behinds.

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87276 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2007 - 5:07 PM

Keith, Joe Cornish just kicked your arse......

get up and fight....

stevenj
stevenj  111982 forum posts England
23 Jan 2007 - 5:07 PM

Keith has a secret weapon though..

Dont mess with scientology!

welshwizard
23 Jan 2007 - 8:27 PM

Quote: By deviant At 15:43:21 - 23rd Jan 07

The Samsung version is the GX-10, the GX-1s is a rebadged *ist DS2

Apparently Pentax are more proactive than Samsung is providing updates for the camera, and I believe that the updates for the Pentax cannot be added to the corresponding Samsung....

welshwizard
23 Jan 2007 - 8:27 PM

Quote: By deviant At 15:43:21 - 23rd Jan 07

The Samsung version is the GX-10, the GX-1s is a rebadged *ist DS2

Apparently Pentax are more proactive than Samsung is providing updates for the camera, and I believe that the updates for the Pentax cannot be added to the corresponding Samsung....

magicaxeman
17 Oct 2007 - 1:22 PM

Quote: This is an evil thing for me to do peter, but Argos are apparently selling the Samsung version with 18-55 & 50-200 for 600.

As far as I know the only differences with the samsung body is the lack of a PEF format RAW (it still has DNG) and the GUI.

As for the lenses, the samsung versions may not have the SMC coating, but no one seems too sure.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.