Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Pentax istD vs K10D

17 Oct 2007 1:33PM
The samsung and pentax kit lenses are indentical apart from the colour of the band on them (blue for samsung, green for pentax) they are all made in the same factory with the same coatings etc.
The menu system is much neater on the samsung than the pentax.
As for firmware updates, yes samsung lags behind a little bit as the pentax updates have to be converted over to match the samsung (different GUI etc) but theyre latest release (ver1.21) contains all the latest updates.
I just bought GX 10 and its running firmware version 1.20.
I wouldnt worry to much about going for the twin lens kit, the 55-200mm isnt that great a lens, and its slow at 200mm (F5.6)
Its far better to look for a cheap bundle with the 18-55mm (439 inc memory card/case etc) and add a sigma 70-300mm DG lens as they can often be picked up for around the 99 mark or go for the apo version at around 50 more.
The sigma is faster shooting at around F4-4.5 at 200mm, but remember due to sensor size you are effectively getting a 105-450mm lens.
I just sold my old GX-1L with the twin lens kit and did as I said above, I dont regret it.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.