Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Pentax Have Expanded Their DSLR & Mirrorless Range

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    nik111
    nik111 ePHOTOzine Staff 6311 forum postsnik111 vcard United Kingdom
    14 Jun 2013 - 10:00 AM

For those who didn't see ePz's news section yesterday, Pentax has released the K-50, K-500, the mirrorless Q7 and a Mount Shield lens.

We also went hands-on with the Q7 and K-500.

Take a look at the Pentax UK website for even more details on the new products.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Jun 2013 - 10:00 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Alan_Baseley
    Alan_Baseley e2 Member 12314 forum postsAlan_Baseley vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Jun 2013 - 11:32 AM

Looking at the Pentax website it looks like the K50 is only a minor upgrade from the K30, except for the gimmicky colours.
    I would have thought that Pentax would have been increasing the sensors from 16Mp by now.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Jun 2013 - 11:40 AM

Poor old Pentax. Lol! Grin

The new Q7 mirrorless has a crop factor of 4.6, even with the larger sensor. They should just throw their lot in with the M4/3 crowd and be done with it.

mdpontin
    mdpontin  96016 forum posts Scotland
    14 Jun 2013 - 1:33 PM

It does seem a bit incoherent. Why have a 'Q' range of mirrorless cameras - two members so far, Q7 and Q10 - and have different sensor sizes within the range? Then there's the Q-mount lenses for the 'Q' range, which sets it apart from the K-mount 'K01', so that means two incompatible mirrorless, interchangeable-lens systems. All very confusing. And is there really a huge pent-up (sorry) demand for a multiplicity of garish colours for the bodies? 100-or-so colour combinations available to order! I see from their website that your choice of colours doesn't affect the price of your camera, either, so I have to assume that they believe this is a big enough selling point that it will drive sales sufficiently to make this worth their while. Does that also mean, I wonder, that the price of the basic camera has been set to cover the cost of offering all those colour options, meaning in effect that you pay for the fancy colours even if you don't choose them?

Last Modified By mdpontin at 14 Jun 2013 - 1:38 PM
    kodachrome
    18 Jun 2013 - 4:26 PM

Yes, I wondered why Pentax are sticking with 16mp for their DSLR's. Mind you its arguably the best current sensor in use today [Sony] on APS-C cameras.

With the hike up to 20/24mp by Sony and Nikon is probably more to do with sales than anything much more. We already have the Nikon 3200 and more recent 5200, 7100 and Sony A58 all exhibiting slightly more noise than the models they replaced. Some people are critisizing Canon for sticking at 18mp, but I suspect Canon will either concede to the pixel race or adopt the more sensible stance which is, If it aint broke, don't fix it which I'm sure is Pentaxe's philosophy.

Currently, I think the Pentax K30 is a cracking deal and the older K5 can be bought for not much more.
    If you do want one of the new K500/50 wait a few Months to see if the price drops as it usually does.

pablophotographer

K01 project ran for a year (or slightly less). If I am not mistaken it is now discontinued. To me it looked like a brick. Unfortunately nowadays due to the trade itself you can't place your own hands on stock to appreciate it. If it doesn't "look" like the part, it may never have the real option to invoke interest. Infamously it has been designed by Marc Newson a product designer with the intention to differentiate from is competitors. Yesterday I sailed in a boat full of tourists, so many men with cameras, myself included, with our equipment hanging form our necks most of the duration of the trip. It seemed the the cameras were the male jewellery. The ratio of female photographers I recall was 30:1. Did I notice any Pentax cameras? Errmmm I can't remember if I did. I honestly wish they still stay afloat both them and Ricoh.

mdpontin
    mdpontin  96016 forum posts Scotland
    8 Jul 2013 - 10:37 PM

The K-01 is still listed on Pentax's website as a current product, although that doesn't necessarily mean that it's still in production.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.